Author Topic: Considering a new board  (Read 3132 times)

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Considering a new board
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
Hey,  looking at either the Coreban 9'6" Performer, or the Starboard 9'8" Pro or the Starboard 10'3" Pro.  I also like the shape of the Coreban Icon but I just think it's way too much board for my weight.

I surf mostly in Florida. Been surfing the C4 10'6" Classic for a while now and looking for a little less volume/lighter board which will perform better in the waves. Just a little nervous about giving up to much glide.

I am 5"8 and weigh 165 pounds.  Tried the Starboard Element on some waves this weekend and it seemed hard to get moving and catch the waves. Maybe it's the 30" width.  Also rode the 8'5" Pocket Rocket  and caught a couple waves on it. Seemed a little short for me.  I think I lean toward a longboard shape and surfing style.
Any input on these or other boards is appreciated.

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Considering a new board
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
check out the 9'0 Fusion.  Great volume for a 9'0 and at your weight it would paddle great and rip waves.

Coreban Fusion 9' Board Test- SUP - Stand up paddle surfing

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
Where are you in Florida ?
If anywhere near Delray Beach  you can demo my Performer .  This is an amazing board, good at everything.  I can't say enough about this board...

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
I also love my Performer! I'm 200lbs, and have no prob at all with stability. Looking forward to the 9' Fusion for less swing weight. You'd be stoked on it. Very high performance, fast, responsive, floaty, durable....

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:12:23 AM »
Sarasota live right near the Venice Inlet. We get waves with cold fronts and tropical weather. Do drive over and surf Melbourne or New Smyrna when it's up and have time.

exetersup,  If your loving the Performer at 200 pounds, I've got to wonder if it's too much volume for me at 160. Been though that before with a 9'5 Naish mana and a C4 10' sub vector. (Which I'm trying to sell) Guess I'm trying to make sure this time around. How is the glide on that Performer?

Caribsurf, if I get done that would love to try it. What is your weight?

Linus, I'll look at the Fusion. I've good things about Coreban quality that's why I'm looking at them. Just alittle concerned about the guide on a 9' board. Also looking at the Starbaords. SB10'3 pro or SB 9'8" pro. Volume is around 140liters and still have length so I don't lose the glide.

Any input welcomed

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »
hey Firesurf  I weigh 185 -190  I have SUPed much smaller boards, but this board does it all and in all conditions including chop.  Surfs much smaller than 9'6" and very loose on the waves I find. 

The Fusion would also be a great choice for you  I demoed the Fusion in Maui and liked it but the waves were smaller that day.  It floated me as well as the Performer, and caught aves easily  the wide nose allows for noseriding too
I have this board on order for my Caribbean house to replace my 10'6" Rockett

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »
thx Caribsurf,

First chance I get I'll look at them both side by side.

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »
Zacksc in the classified says his new 10'3" Starboard weighs 18 lbs .Might be worth a look
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »
Love my Icon but i am 220 lbs... Fusion would be the ticket at your weight. The quality and durability of Coreban is tough to beat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal