Author Topic: Counterpoint to primal diet  (Read 17407 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Counterpoint to primal diet
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Saw these articles today about MMA fighters with vegetarian diets.  They sound opposite the primal diet, but actually have quite a few similarities to go along with the differences:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-diets021711

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-mmavegetarians021711

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Counterpoint to primal diet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
There is a huge difference in the muscle make up of a vegetarian and a Meat eater.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
The words I live by is eat like a chicken look like boneless chicken. Eat the meat then you going put on the meat( the beef that is) on the bone. Vegetarians always looks like there dead no skin color always looks flush and not lively at all. I guess in the end in depends what your goals are in body composition for me I could never want to look like a dead man walking. Realisticlly the body is made up of majority protein and water and the foods vegetarians consume is for the weak. The body can't live a strong healthy lifestyle full off livily hood on soy,tofu and yogurt. Not practical. My father in law did a vegetarian diet for almost 2 years just because his coworkers were loosing weight and doing alright. For that 2 years he laid in his bed he even gave up golfing for a while because he always felt tired and very lethargic. When he actually put the meat back into his diet he felt like a new man and never ever spent any more time lying down again. It's not always wise to follow other people just because. My rule of thumb is it's your body listen to what it's telling don't ignore what you are feeling mentally and physically. Once you start to loose touch with that then you have no control period and no matter what anyone can practice or preach to you. No one will completely heal your body except yourself if you just listen to your body.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
I know who GSP is but the other guy?  A male model? 

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
I know who GSP is but the other guy?  A male model? 

Now that's funny. That made my morning thanks Bill. That guy is going to wish he never jumped in the ring with GSP.

gafas

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
Vegetarians always looks like there dead no skin color always looks flush and not lively at all. I guess in the end in depends what your goals are in body composition for me I could never want to look like a dead man walking.

Here is a link to a list of Great Vegan Athletes. Maybe not exactly as meat-eaters, but don't look like "dead man walking".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
I'm pretty happy with my semi-primal thing. Tish Berman was just here on Maui along with Rod Parmenter and her daughter Kensie--getting married. She's the nutrionist I consulted with to lose weight. Of course I asked Tish how to get off my 240 pound plateau, and two days (TWO DAYS!!) later I'm at 238.2. I was starting to think my scale didn't go below 240. I've been stuck for more than a month.

She said "before you exercise, eat a minimal amount of carbs, eat just protein and good fats". Presto, off, the plateau.

It feels like I'm working on a racecar and I've got this smart tuner helping me.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:09:27 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
Vegetarians always looks like there dead no skin color always looks flush and not lively at all. I guess in the end in depends what your goals are in body composition for me I could never want to look like a dead man walking.

Here is a link to a list of Great Vegan Athletes. Maybe not exactly as meat-eaters, but don't look like "dead man walking".

It's great to have choices in life. You are the pilot in the true outcome of your bodies composition and  like I said eat like a chicken look like a chicken. Or in the pictures above it's common sense what would you want to look like. Iff you choose option B then the Vegen diet is for you.SOS

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »
I'm pretty happy with my semi-primal thing. Tish Berman was just here on Maui along with Rod Parmenter and her daughter Kensie--getting married. She's the nutrionist I consulted with to lose weight. Of course I asked Tish how to get off my 240 pound plateau, and two days (TWO DAYS!!) later I'm at 238.2. I was starting to think my scale didn't go below 240. I've been stuck for more than a month.

She said "before you exercise, eat a minimal amount of carbs, eat just protein and good fats". Presto, off, the plateau.

It feels like I'm working on a racecar and I've got this smart tuner helping me.

So if cutting out carbs and eating protein and good fats works , why would you continue on with eating simple carbs ?? 

Stick to getting carbs from nuts and seeds and veggies , some fruit na dwatch what happens ??  give it 40 days , if you have the discipline and see how MUCH MORE better you feel and how much more weight you loose , then try eating carbs again from whole grains , oatmeal and alcohol and see how you feel ....... Take the test, take the plunge !!!  You'll be happy and amazed you did.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »
Here's another guy who does OK on salad and bread--Herschel Walker.   I'm not advocating one diet over another (not a vegetarian myself) or not even saying that he might not even be better if he ate some meat, but he doesn't make a bad "Option B".

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
Here's another guy who does OK on salad and bread--Herschel Walker.   I'm not advocating one diet over another (not a vegetarian myself) or not even saying that he might not even be better if he ate some meat, but he doesn't make a bad "Option B".

one meal a day!? Soup & salad!?  It is hard to believe. 

Short interview with him on his diet:

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
gr8laker--it is amazing how someone can find something that seems to work well for them, even though it would be completely wrong for someone else--in diet, stroke technique, anything...

Speaking of the Blues Brothers (from another thread) Jake was mostly primal, and Elwood was not:

Mrs. Murphy: May I help you boys?
Elwood: You got any white bread?
Mrs. Murphy: Yes.
Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.
Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that toast, honey?
Elwood: No ma'am, dry.
[Mrs. Murphy gives him a look, then turns to Jake]
Jake: Got any fried chicken?
Mrs. Murphy: Best damn chicken in the state.
Jake: Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: You want chicken wings or chicken legs?
Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.
Elwood: And some dry white toast please.
Mrs. Murphy: Y'all want anything to drink with that?
Elwood: No ma'am.
Jake: A Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: Be up in a minute

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
Two drug addicts walk into the dealers house one asks got any cocaine, he says yes, drug addict says good give me  a gram . Second drug addict asks got any heroin , drug dealer says yes, drugee says good give me a 100 dollar paper. 

Whats the point ?  two guys killing themselves slowly they just preffer different ways. They may look healthy  but that don't mean they are healthy.

Kinda funny , Belushi was the Fat guy eating fried chicken and (sugar) I mean coke and the skinny guy was eating just whitte bread with no butter. Neither was choosing healthy food.

I still don't see the point ??

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
SEA--don't worry if you don't see the point--there was none, other than it was a funny scene.  I was reminded of it because of Herschel Walker's extreme diet. 

I think that's about all that either of them ate the whole movie, along with drinking and smoking, staying up late, no exercise, no sunlight.  Elwood never even took his sunglasses off the entire movie, and Jake only did when he was pleading for his life with his jilted ex-girlfriend. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »

So if cutting out carbs and eating protein and good fats works , why would you continue on with eating simple carbs ??  

Stick to getting carbs from nuts and seeds and veggies , some fruit na dwatch what happens ??  give it 40 days , if you have the discipline and see how MUCH MORE better you feel and how much more weight you loose , then try eating carbs again from whole grains , oatmeal and alcohol and see how you feel ....... Take the test, take the plunge !!!  You'll be happy and amazed you did.

Actually that's pretty much what I'm doing. I take one or two meals a week when I eat whatever I want, the rest are nut/seed/vegetable carbs, protein and good fat. Lots of vegetables. Like "gotta shop at Costco" amounts of vegetables.

For one of my "splurge" meals recently I ate an English muffin. Felt like a wad of paste in my gut. Didn't taste as well as I thought it would either. Two nights ago I took a piece of bread from the bread tray. Looked great, so-so taste. ate one bite and that was it.  I still drink beer and wine but sparingly, occasionally. Love the complex flavors.

I'm not in this for a quick ride (or a new religion), this is my lifestyle.

Testing skitch:
Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:49:57 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again