Author Topic: what else do you do then paddle?  (Read 25308 times)

kook

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
what else do you do then paddle?
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
Just curious what people do int the "off" season (for those of us that are frozen ::)) or do in there spare time?

I am heavily  involved in Muay thai and Brazilian ju jitsu and toy around with climbing and mountain biking

What are your other passions other then SUP? ;D

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: what else do you do then paddle?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »
I SUP year round here in FL.  Also mntbike, bushcraft.  Spend the summers in western NC ww canoe and kayaking, fishing, mtnbiking, and being outside as much as possible.

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
I run a bit, wakeboard quite often and do a bit of skateboarding.

cariboomike

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
I cross-country ski (November - April), cycle (road bike) and hike.  I'll likely start running again since we have some local running events I want to participate in (plus I'm trying to lose more weight).  Since the SUP bug hit me last year the biking and hiking have gone down a lot.  However, being semi-retired I have time to do them all.

Besides lots of cross-country skiing this winter (3-5 times per week) I'm also using the local rec centre to work on my paddling.  A friend and I use a weight and pully system attached to a chopped off canoe paddle to work on paddling conditioning (while standing on a BOSU ball).  It's a great system.  We also paddle with full sized SUP paddles while standing on the edge of the rec centre pool.  Another great off-season way to work on paddling specific strength and technique.

Keeping the stoke in Central British Columbia.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »
I'm a dabbler in the Kootenays of BC. Mountain biking, hiking, swimming (summer), snowshoe, snowboard, some jogging, paddling year round although less often in the winter, and the gym, hitting the bags more than I actually lift weights.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
This
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

kook

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
Great to hear everyones stories! I have been working up north and need to get in shape! Camp food makes you fat

kook

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
Robon: do you train any particular martial art or just beat the crap out of the bags?

Madmax: What is Bushcraft?

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 04:45:33 AM »
Kook.  Bushcraft,  woodlore, and such is skills and knowledge of the woods.  Shelter building,  making fire with bow and drill/ flint and steel, foraging edibles, and most recently making fun of the Hollywood TV versions of our hobby.  Bear Grylls is a favorite target.  That's NOT what we do. LMAO.  Les Stroud "Survivorman" is pretty well liked.  But most of us just like going camping the old fashion way.  Ultralight backpackers vs Bushcrafters is a raging clash of styles that gets waaay out of hand.  Kinda like prone vs SUP surfing.

oceanblueCT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 04:59:27 AM »
I play pick-up basketball 2-3 times per week, and sprinkle in some running when I can. 

I also have been doing P90X the past few weeks, which is quickly becoming addictive & beneficial.

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »
I mostly eat sleep and work. I play baseball, hunt fish dive and anything else water related.

madmax-  i've done what you call bushcraft many times....but i didnt know it had a name, or the following that it has.  still fun, my girlfriend calls it my quarterlife crisis time (im 25).
Where there is wind, there is a wave

kook

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »
lol being the product of two hippies that pretty much live in the woods i should have known what bushcraft was... ::)

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »
gee, I thought bushcraft was for new and creative ways to service the wife....guess I was wrong.  Anyway, its still a good thing to do when your not paddling!

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »
lol being the product of two hippies that pretty much live in the woods i should have known what bushcraft was... ::)
LOL I didn't call it that either 'til about a year ago and found a great forum on it.  I just called it dirtbag camping or woodsmanship.  I think most old school traveling surfers did/do alot of bushcrafting as a matter of fact way to go surf on the cheap.  I know I did.  Although I'm diggin' being able to afford an a/c room in Costa Rica these days!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
Dips and pull ups on the dip station at the office... Land paddling with the wife while she rollerblades... Walk on the beach with the dog Max... A bit of cyclocross, and the occasional run or cycle.

AND most importantly, eat PRIMAL.  (that does not have anything to to do with bushwhacking)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal