General > Random

Hunting...

(1/1)

Marcelo:
I know some of you here like to go hunting, i've been interested in doing it for quite a while so i started researching about it.

It seems like hunters and surfers are very much alike, if you know of a good spot you do not tell others, starting on your own is possible but can be quite hard and paying for a guided hunt is way over my budget.

So i have been contacting everyone i know might know a hunter willing to help me out and that is when I had the idea to ask you guys...

Any hunter here willing to take a complete beginner out on a hunt?

PonoBill:
What do you want to hunt? And where? I hunt in Oregon mostly, ducks, geese, upland birds, deer and elk. Are you talking rifle, bow, shotgun? If you haven't done it before, have you taken a hunter's safety course?

If you haven't, then that's the first step, only a fool will take you out before you take the classes. Some states issue licenses without a class, but most don't these days. This is all about handling dangerous weapons. Take the class. Compared to the level of knowledge required to get a license in places like Germany, the US requirement are trivial, but at least go that far.

Chances are you'll meet folks taking the class and will be able to go with them.

If you want to hunt geese you need to take a goose identification class.

Saying you want to hunt is like saying you want to ride waves.

Marcelo:
Bill, no i have not taken the class yet, will do it soon, there is a few places not too far from me that offer it.

My main intention to go hunting is to bring some meat home, does not really matter what kind of meat.

Where? I do not know...I do want to one day go boar hunting Hawaiian style. (in Hawaii of course) :-)

Thanks

PonoBill:
Hunting--at least legal hunting--is the most expensive way in the world to get meat. For what it costs you to get some inexpertly cared for venison you could have the very finest filet mignon. People who say they are meat hunters have never done the math. Never added up the cost of guns, ammo, other gear, gasoline, time off work, and a myriad other expenses, only to fail to get their buck--because ten percent of the people get ninety percent of the game. The rest get nothing. Get nothing for four years, get better at it, then get your deer or elk and do the math. Probably a hundred bucks a pound.

I've been hunting most of my life, I'm very good at it, and I can generally get what I'm after. Rifle, shotgun, bow, whatever. My lifetime cost per pound is probably more like $200. I also fish a lot. Lifetime cost per pound--probably $300. Anyone that tells you different is simply full of crap.

Step one--decide why you really want to hunt. If it's meat, go to Safeway.

Step two--hunter's safety course. Do it or don't go.

Step three--spend a whole bunch of time and money, just like any sport.

Step four--enjoy a nice bit of venison or elk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version