Author Topic: Starboard Atlas - ride report anyone?  (Read 10757 times)

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Atlas - ride report anyone?
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »
Looking for a big volume first sup in the 11'6 - 12'0 range, considering Nalu 11'6, Glide 12'0 and the 12'0 Atlas could also be a contender.
I'm 6'2", 250# and falling, usage will be 99% local flat water & wind chop + play with the kids on Melbourne's PPB. Have demo'd a 10'5 mana and 11'0 fanatic, def need the volume but I think I want more waterline length & glideability but I don't have strorage space for anything over 12'.
Anyone been on an Atlas?
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Atlas - ride report anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
The Glide 12FT AST would be perfect or consider the Pau Hana 11'2 or the EKO 11'2. Pau Hana is a little surfier but just as stable. Another Fun board is the Naish Mana 10'5 Or my personal favorite South County Turtle name doesn't sound fast but it is FUN!

I would say if you are going for 12FT I'd go with the Naish Glide if you want a more all around board the others will work fine

If you have specific questions feel free to PM ME I'm 6'2 280# been doing this for 5 yrs now

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »
The Glide 12FT AST would be perfect or consider the Pau Hana 11'2 or the EKO 11'2. Pau Hana is a little surfier but just as stable. Another Fun board is the Naish Mana 10'5 Or my personal favorite South County Turtle name doesn't sound fast but it is FUN!

I would say if you are going for 12FT I'd go with the Naish Glide if you want a more all around board the others will work fine

If you have specific questions feel free to PM ME I'm 6'2 280# been doing this for 5 yrs now

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing

Hey Jim, thanks. I'm in Australia where the local market is still relatively small. The brand/model selection is a bit limited for BIG volume boards and the demo stock a bit thin at the local dealers (fair enough, they can't carry everything). In some respects that makes board selection a bit easier  ;D .
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
Try big easy before calling in the atlas!
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:53:19 AM »

Well the 11.6 nalu definitely has the volume..me and my wife paddled that board together a lot in the beginning. I was 215 at the time.

I'm not sure how available it is but it does exist with a window..I guess that would b great for the kids...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
How about the Naish Mana 10'5 it surfs better than they say PLUS you can windsurf on it too

Good Luck
JimK

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
I'm exactly your size and have been riding a 12footer (Isle) for 2yrs.  Since my skill is improving and my weight is going down (hopefully), I'm starting to look shorter (11ft or less) and really like the Starboard Widepoint 10'6".  I have tried the Atlas and it's very good--certainly a more maneuverable shape than what I'm riding, but 12 ft is a very big board.  The Widepoint will hold you now and if you're weight keeps dropping will cruise even better.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:04:57 PM »
Hey thanks again blokes for your input. I put in a solid couple of demo hours (to the point of fatigue) on the water today with a 10'5 mana, 11'6 nalu and a 12'0 glide, and an 10'8 JP just for shiggles...fortunately in the kind of conditions I'm most likely to be paddling in fairly often - breeze up to about 8-10 knots, some chop and a couple of feet of wind swell. I thought it sensible to push it until I got tired because that's sure  to happen when I'm out there for real.

Bearing in mind I'm looking for a bay cruiser and I'm still a total noob, here are my findings:

10'5 Mana:
Blecchh. Tons of volume & turns super easy but felt like pushing custard. The width brought maybe too much initial stability b/c it rolled around like my drunk fat aunt when put side on to the swell;

11'6 Nalu:
NIce, fairly forgiving, nice nice cruising and 30" width not a problem for me. Good flotation and primary stability, a bit of work into the wind but pretty good side on to the swell. More forgiving than the glide when I got tired;

12'0 Glide;
This one made me smile from the off, just what I expected/hoped SUP cruising would feel like. Gives a bit away to the nalu in primary stability but more than enough secondary stability for me on the chop, much slicker into the wind and on the run. I liked how the harder rails gave me more direct feedback through my feet - the flipside though was when i got tired and my technique turned to crap it didn't forgive. at. all. Fitness and time on water might overcome this?

10'8 JP:
145 litres, I sunk it, 'nuff said.

The local starboard seller is topping up his demo stock in a week or two so next up I'll try the atlas and a couple of the other big starboards. More demo fun to come.
Sheldon Brown

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:34:20 AM »
The Starboard dealer in Melbourne - RPS is apparently holding a demo down at Black Rock / Half Moon Bay on Saturday. Not sure what they've currently got in the way of big volume 12' range boards.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
From what you have said you want to do with the board . . . I would suggest that you 100% try the Starboard Atlas before you decide.  You WILL like it.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

mike2jay1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
I Dont think you can go wrong with any of the following boards.
Starboard Atlas
Starboard Big Easy
Eko Paddillac
Eko Sano XL

All are great big volume boards

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
 I would go with the Glide, if that is too unstable (29 3/4) then try a BOGA 12ft El Rey.  Super stable board and good glide, but the Glide will be the fastest out of those listed. 

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
Quick thread bump, tried as many as I could get my hands on and bought an Atlas. EasyRider was on the money, I DO like it. It's stable, runs on really really nicely and tracks beatifully for a wide board, but turns well too. For me it came down to Atlas or 12' Glide. I was instantly comfortable on the Atlas and chose it for that and for a bit more all-round tractability in a range of conditions, at least while I'm learning the art.

If you're big and tall and looking for a sweet cruiser, put the Starboard Atlas on your shortlist.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 05:35:24 PM by armchair_spaceman »
Sheldon Brown

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal