Author Topic: SUP Atx Info  (Read 6263 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
SUP Atx Info
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
Anyone familiar with the SUP Atx boards? A friend of my sister is looking at getting a 1st board and the price is right.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ivorytickler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP Atx Info
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
A good way to get started; probably more of a lake board than an ocean board but I have paddled in the Gulf of Mexico.  You will get a good sense of what the sport is all about and you won't have to spend a lot of money doing it.  Be careful; it scratches pretty easily.

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »
I can't report on quality (or lack of) but i have heard from multiple people on the zone that they usually take much longer to ship then promised.

I would look on Craigs list for something used b/c most beginners end up buying their 2nd board within a year of starting. If you buy a known brand used, it makes it much easier to get your money back for the next purchase... just my 2 cents.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »
only thing herd is that you should check stock and buy that board...
if you choose a certain design/color you might be waiting a long time for a stock shipment from their MFR's abroad.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
I'm not going to comment on the "quality" I've seen in these boards for proffessional reasons.

Stoneaxe, I'm sure you can direct her to a "real" shop that can match their pricing with a REAL SUP. Not to mention REAL service after the sale.

I know I have some sources to meet that need and I'm sure "everyone" else does too.

Just my 2 cents
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
I'm a SUP newb, and recently bought my first board (used Yolo).

I was intrigued by SUPatx also (price), but finding good reviews online (or any info actually) was hard to come by.

What I did learn from scouring message boards:

Made in China
Shipping time depends on when next container ship departs Shanghai
Thin glass on top of board

Also, from calling into the company, I can say their customer service is totally outsourced.  If you leave an inquiry on the website, you'll get a callback from a 3rd-party callcenter rep who knows NOTHING about SUP or the ATX product line.

I figured a used/demo board was a better newb choice, but their pricing is attractive and the dammit the paintjobs do look nice :)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I wasn't comfortable recommending them and your thoughts pretty much echo what I' was thinking. Buying on price alone is usually not a good thing.  Found a few deals on demo boards on craigslist I pointed them to. My sister bought a demo board from a friend but he doesn't have anymore at the moment.
Think I'll send out an email to the CCBC crew to see if anyone is selling a board....I know a bunch are buying new boards better suited to the crossing so maybe some of their 1st all-around boards will be available.

Thanks again
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal