Author Topic: Sexy time... now off to the glassers...  (Read 9124 times)

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sexy time... now off to the glassers...
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:16:06 AM »
A new 9'0 for the missus (she lets me make her new boards and sell her old ones out from underneath her, she says she's keeping this one no matter what). 9'0 x 27.75 x 4. Super pulled in nose, with a step railed wing. Quad setup and a hand hole for a little help getting it across the street (its a rough commute for her ;D) We'll see what the glassers feel like doing to it...

And para me.... a 9'4 double winged pocket rocket (you guessed it.... quad). 9'4 x 28 1/4 x 4 1/8... bitchin'

Both boards have a slight single concave running into a much more pronounced double that goes flat again in the tail. If you're thinking of a quad setup, look for this design. It works a bit better for me when the vee is pushed for of a conventional placement and then flattened back out again at the tail. But thats just what works for a mediocre saddlepurfer that doesnt surf enough... ;D

See you in the water...

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy time... now off to the glassers...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:51:31 AM »
Allen, those boards look good! I've surfed a few quads, they were fast but didn't have the bite I was used to- had to kind of pussy foot 'em- looks like you've got the ticket. Give us a full report.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »
that's lookin' saweeet!
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
Sexy Twins .. Looks great, nice shaped Quads,    Think about putting a center fin box or plugs. It may just make your board 's preform like three different boards. You can go Twin, Tri, Quad, or 4+1 .. just a thought..
  I know what its like to have a custom SUP  board shaped and ready for glassing.
     Now the dirty work begins:    color perhaps , laminating , Art work if need be.. glassing, sanding,  hot coat , setting fin design and plugs , sanding , pinlines ? , gloss coat,  sanding, polishing   and w/ epoxy resin its rack time too. 
  My board was a labor of love and all worth the sweat equity.  I any event...... YOU'L  BE STOKED ...  Good luck  and keep us up to date on the finished product.. 

8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
Allan, those two look fast and loose. Re the bottom contour you go concave to double concave to flat in the tail to accommodate the quads. The vee your talking about is in the middle of the two concaves. The fin placement is in the flat part just aft of the vee or double concave. Do I understand that right? So the double concaves feed the water right into the fins? Overall seems very loose. I know they are boards for surfing but how are they for stability? Do you surf mostly waist to head high waves with them.

Thanks. A lot of questions I know but those seem like pretty futuristic shapes to me.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:37:44 PM »
AWSOME..............................

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »
Square tail and concave at the nose, I wonder, what surf style do you expect? rather ripping like a shortboarder or rather noseriding like a longboarder?

I guess the quad is for ripping and the double concave is to ride rail to rail (one concave for each rail  ;)).

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
Allan, those boards look good! I've surfed a few quads, they were fast but didn't have the bite I was used to- had to kind of pussy foot 'em- looks like you've got the ticket. Give us a full report.

I dont think Ive ever said my boards were for everyone, but they work for me. Part of it, is my surfing style lends itself well to a quad setup. But I lay it over and make it drive with the best of 'em, they just take a few sessions to figure out.

Square tail and concave at the nose, I wonder, what surf style do you expect? rather ripping like a shortboarder or rather noseriding like a longboarder?

I guess the quad is for ripping and the double concave is to ride rail to rail (one concave for each rail  ;)).

If the sections steep enough to walk, Im just going to hit it. I have no interest in nose riding. But interestingly enough, I have done some "experimenting" and they nose ride ok. At that point its easier to cut the tail loose and helicopter it. But I def. don't have a "longboarder" approach. I look at the wave with a much more vertical attack in mind.

Allan, those two look fast and loose. Re the bottom contour you go concave to double concave to flat in the tail to accommodate the quads. The vee your talking about is in the middle of the two concaves. The fin placement is in the flat part just aft of the vee or double concave. Do I understand that right? So the double concaves feed the water right into the fins?

Thats pretty much the idea. I look to create a "speed spot" just for of the fins with the blending of bottom contours. If you can grab everything that the whetted surface for of the fins touches (single to double), you can increase control while maintaining a solid rail to rail surfing style. At least thats what works for me. Why I think it works with the quads for me is the drive created can be broken with a side pressure. So I camp on the paddle (or poke it, whatever term works for you) and just wrench the thing with my back foot. Ive had good success getting the whole back end to cut loose.

Sexy Twins .. Looks great, nice shaped Quads,    Think about putting a center fin box or plugs. It may just make your board 's preform like three different boards. You can go Twin, Tri, Quad, or 4+1 .. just a thought..

All my personal boards have been 4 + 1 setups, but I find I always come back to the quad/twin setup. Its what works for me and my low centered, over the back approach. These wont be getting a center box/plugs. Im over it.

Now the dirty work begins:    color perhaps , laminating , Art work if need be.. glassing, sanding,  hot coat , setting fin design and plugs , sanding , pinlines ? , gloss coat,  sanding, polishing   and w/ epoxy resin its rack time too. 
  My board was a labor of love and all worth the sweat equity.  I any event...... YOU'L  BE STOKED ...  Good luck  and keep us up to date on the finished product.. 

Im a clear sanded guy. J might get something pink. Who knows? I favor a layup that doesn't obscure the logo's. Call it vanity if you will.

AWESOME..............................

Thanks. I'll be over your way this summer, wanna try?

I should have em' back next week sometime. I'll drop some shots after I get the pads on and then post some ride reports in a month or so after I beat the crap of of em'.

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 03:12:53 PM »
Thanks Allen. Can hardly wait to see the final product and hear the reports. Double dittos to Foote's "AWESOME!"

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »
I know they are boards for surfing but how are they for stability? Do you surf mostly waist to head high waves with them.

Yeah, they're for surfing, but my usual day of surfing is about 4 miles of up/down coast paddling. So they motor. As far a stability goes, you get used to what you have to. All my previous boards where thinner than these, and I learned on a 11' munoz at 25 3/4 wide... doesnt get tippier than that. J's comfort zone is head high and under, but she's charged bigger with me. I take em' out in everything from double over ankle to double over head.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
Very nice...Great pictures.

Are those double wingers on the second boards just for the look?

It's hard to tell from that angle if they're wingers/stingers or flyers.

I've always liked something called the 'claytons' flyer..It's just an angle change without a step in the rail.

Is your idea trying to get the board to turn without having to get your rear foot so far back?

My concern is that the board will become skippy during the turn.

I can't wait to hear how it goes.

DJ
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 03:42:15 PM by DavidJohn »

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 06:29:32 AM »
Any pictures of the finished product?  They look sweet before the glass job!

tonemike

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 09:22:08 AM »
hey allan,
thanks for all the great insights AND PICTURES.  those boards couldn't look any sexier.  i can't wait too see the finished product.  and i'm with you on the clear glass.  why cover up such a nice hand shaped blank anyway??  your pics make me wanna set up a shaping room in my garage.  my wife would love that.  thanks again for sharing.
-mike in seattle

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 01:59:10 AM »
Nice blanks, show us pics once laminated please!
and of course action pics!!!

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 12:51:37 AM »
as my glasser tells me....

patience grasshoppah is a virtue best held when dealing with laminators

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal