Author Topic: 8 year old suping with dolphins  (Read 5919 times)

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
8 year old suping with dolphins
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
Fun video of Ivan and his son Nathan suping with some dolphins.

8 year old SUPing with Dolphins- A dream Stand Up Paddle surfing day in Cape Town
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:44:08 AM by Admin »

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: 8 year old suping with dolphins
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
Great Vid Linus!-thanks for posting-man Nathan is gonna rip later you can just see it coming!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
Hey SoCalSupper!  Yeah, he's a little ripper.  I can already see his dad's influence in his ridding.  That little drop knee!  haha.  He's going to be scary good as he get's older.  Can't wait till I have a son that I can teach to SUP.  You get to experience that joy now as CD is a ripper!

L

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
How cool is that! I've always loved to watch Ivan surf and it will be fun to watch Nathan as he grows up...the drop knee is pure Dad.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

awe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »
Very cool vid. Thanks for sharing ;D

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »
Damn, made me cry.  Probably b/c its still winter in NEngland!   :'(
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »
 Killer vid. Linter. Thanks for posting... As for Nathan, that nut fell real close to the tree!            Later,         JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Bartlet

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
Very Cool!  Great to see you getting him out at an early age!

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »
Very cool. Thanks... i cant wait to get my little guy out there. We are still working on the swimming thing for now.

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »
I’m going to be a total buzzkill on this, but before all of you start dreaming of frolicking with the dolphins like this little guy, dolphins spend most of the day alternating between rest and play. If they aren’t allowed enough time to rest, they will not be able to hunt. I’m not a marine biologist, and that kid and his dad may know this pod of dolphins well enough to minimize harm, so I could just be talking out of my ass. Just be aware that your enjoyment of the ocean can have an impact.

Rdubach

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »
What an awesome experience.  Makes me want a son.   ;D

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
That was awesome, thanks for sharing.

Eshrawn, interesting point. I'm not sure if I understand. We've been surfing in SoCal at the Trails (south of SanO and Trestles). There's been a pod swimming that stretch for years. Do you think that due to surfing the area it's a distraction or we're imposing on the territory? I've never thought about it that way. I am curious, as it always makes me smile to see them swimming around, and I don't want to anything that would cause them harm.

Anyone know?

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
The way it was explaned to me was the dolphins hunt all night, then they come towards shore to rest during the day. Dolphins don't sleep, but have their own version where they rest half their brain at a time. Around here, the lifeguards and hotel staff caution the tourists not to go too close to the pods so that they can recover adequately. What we interpret as play, as we get up close to them, may actually be distress.

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
Great video! I would love to be able to SUP with dolphins some day. I've only seen sea lions...

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »
That is an amazing video.  Loved it!!!  I So.Cal I see dolphins out 50% of the time it seems.  It sure appears that the dolphins enjoy the company but I could be wrong.  A while ago, I took my brother in-law out and it was his first time out.  He rode my 10-6 c4 classic.  He saw some dolphins playing around us and then the went on their way.  I followed them and everytime he fell, the dolphins would play around until he got going again.  It was like they were waiting for him.  I ran into a similar experience when I followed some dolphins and then I decided after 10 minutes to stop following them because a nice wave was coming my way.  I went for the wave and got a nice ride and got off.  I then went back out and saw the dolphins waiting and then when I got back over to them we started to cruise some more.  I'd hate to know that I was stressing them out but it sure seemed that they enjoyed the company.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal