Author Topic: Surftech Bark Dominator 14'  (Read 36929 times)

Aiyah

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surftech Bark Dominator 14'
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »
While that would be seriously awesome, I wanted to avoid the carbon bottom and plus cash is an issue... It would be epic though!

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
Understand the cash issue, but i figure I will loose less on the Bark than I have on my 401K

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 07:54:02 AM »
Aiyah,

Joe will make you a board anyway you want.  He does not like using carbon except in the standing area.  What he found was that in Hawaii the guys were leaving the boards on the beach in the sun.  Even with the vent open the carbon got hot enough to melt the foam inside.  Once the foam melts the board is ruined, he has lost thousands of dollars in race boards due to this.  He only makes a carbon bottom or top if the customer wants it and understands the risk.

My custom board from Joe has carbon only in the standing area and none of it is visible.  Light blue bottom with white top, and the board weighs 23 lbs. 

At your weight another issue to consider is Joe  is no longer making the front of the 12'6" or 14" like the Surftech models.  Riders in the north complained about water pooling in the standing area so he has gone to a lower volume nose area which puts the standing area in less of a hole.  The standing area is exactly the same he just takes volume out of the nose.  This could be very important for you due to your weight.  I am 110 lbs and on my 12'6" I have a hard time keeping the nose down.  I stand with my toes partially off the front of the deck pad.  Joe and Charlie are great guys and they will talk with you about their boards, give them a call at the shop.  They are not so good about email but phone calls work great. If you do decide to go with a 14'  talk with Joe first about how much to make you one for your size.   I also forgot that Joe is also now making pintail models for smaller guys and gals!  My husband has a 14' pintail and loves it, Joe said he will have the 12'6" out soon. 

Cheers, Jill

Aiyah

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
How much more expensive is it though? Cause i'm starting college in the fall and my current job has me working only 1.5 hours a week. Money's not really something i've got tons of lol

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »
Got to paddle a Dominator for the first time today.  First 1 mile sprint into some gentle headwind 5.3 mph ave and 6.3 max.  Other sections were around 5.0 average but my data is not totally accurate because I would start off slow, then decided to do a sprint, so I'm guessing 5.3 mph average or so and top speeds around 6.0 in today's conditions.  Totally flatwater and downwind would be definitely a lot faster.

The board felt stable, almost as stable as the Competitor in my opinion.  You feel it tip, but it doesn't go over.  There is flex in the board but to me it doesn't appear to be significant at my weight, 175 lbs. The board is light which makes for quick acceleration and easy carry.  The board tracks well, not sure how it will fair in strong side wind conditions since the 5 mph wind at times kept me paddling on one side. 

Really wish it came in different paint schemes.

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
Takeo, from their catalog, it looks like the Surftech Dominator comes in two technologies, the bulletproof Tuflite and "Pro Elite" which is a carbon/epoxy tech and is supposed to be lighter and a little less rigid, that could be the version you were on.

I'd be surprised if they leave the colorway the same forever, companies usually switch it up every year or two. I'd keep my ear to the ground about it.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 11:51:30 AM »
Takeo, from their catalog, it looks like the Surftech Dominator comes in two technologies, the bulletproof Tuflite and "Pro Elite" which is a carbon/epoxy tech and is supposed to be lighter and a little less rigid, that could be the version you were on.

I'd be surprised if they leave the colorway the same forever, companies usually switch it up every year or two. I'd keep my ear to the ground about it.

This definitely was the "Pro Elite" with the carbon bottom, must be about 26 lbs or so, way lighter than the 12'6" Competitor Tuflite construction.  The board is a loaner, and had a few pressure dings, I'm guessing it may be a bit more prone to dings. Sweet board.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
The carbon/epoxy Dominator is very flexy and super susceptible to pressure dents and dings.  I am getting dents on the bottom just from where it sits against my hip while walking down to the water!  But, it is fast and very fun to downwind.  And very stable, even in big chop.  I only wish they had added two pounds to it and made it a little more tough.  It already looks like I've had it a year, when I've had it 2 months. 
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Aiyah

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
ooh, it's that soft?
Can you still get the tuflite? 'cause i want something sturdy and solid, you know?
Greatdane, yours is the pro elite? Anyone know how much heavier the tuflite is?

joemosq

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
Currently the Surftech Dominator is only available in pro elite construction. That particular model has not been sold in the standard Tuflite layup.  The 12'6" Surftech Competitor was sold in both constructions and weighs around 31lbs in the Tuflite construction and 25 lbs in the pro elite.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
The carbon/epoxy Dominator is very flexy and super susceptible to pressure dents and dings.  I am getting dents on the bottom just from where it sits against my hip while walking down to the water!  But, it is fast and very fun to downwind.  And very stable, even in big chop.  I only wish they had added two pounds to it and made it a little more tough.  It already looks like I've had it a year, when I've had it 2 months. 
More dense = less dents?

Aiyah

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
Ouch... That may be a deal breaker there....craaap.
Still, 31 pounds....that's a lot for someone as small as me. Baaahh, why can't this be simple? Lol

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Just picked up the Dominator Joe, Charlie and company built for me. Looks realy nice. Itching to take it out this weekend.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Just picked up the Dominator Joe, Charlie and company built for me. Looks realy nice. Itching to take it out this weekend.

post some pictures of it!
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

SUPGlobal Matt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
A good friend of SUPGlobal.com bought the first Dominator to hit the shores over here and has put together a pretty comprehensive review, which brings up a lot of the points here: http://www.supglobal.com/stand-up-paddle/reviews/255-review-of-the-surftech-bark-dominator-14-ft-stand-up-paddle-board.html

I race the 14ft category and having tried a Dominator and a JM 14ft (the pink one  :o) I think for the the JM is the choice as a race board for me, but the worries about the pressure dings does concern me.  Hopefully Surftech will work on it!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard