Poll

Where does SUP belong?

Everywhere.  The ocean is there for everyone.  No limits.
99 (33%)
All breaks as long as the skills are there.
76 (25.3%)
All breaks as long as the skils are there and they're uncrowded.
29 (9.7%)
Specific breaks, all of the time.
6 (2%)
Specific breaks as long as the skills are there.
67 (22.3%)
Specific breaks as long as the skills are there and they're uncrowded.
8 (2.7%)
Breaks where there are no surfers.
8 (2.7%)
Flat water and downwind only.
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Author Topic: Where does SUP belong? 2010/11 Poll  (Read 19679 times)

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where does SUP belong? 2010/11 Poll
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
I thought somebody said something, but no, I was mistaken.

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
Dog patch at Sano is kind of a SUP/wave ski only spot, not to say that you can't ride a regular surfboard there, but most people don't. It's kind of a slow, soft wave, and with all the SUP's and buttboards out there most people on regular boards can't get into position to catch waves any way.

What's with calling surfers crawlers? I surfed for years (and still do) before I got into SUP. Why do we always have to be putting some one else down just because they do something differen't than us? Seems kinda weird doesn't it?

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »
Well we don't get upset when they call us sweepers, crawlers is just a descriptive term, no insult implied.
What do you suggest we call them? Prone surfers? Anyways, what's a butt-board?

CCSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
There are only a very places that are traditional surfer's only....and most of them have a limited basis in legality. But they do have tradition.....San O north of Dogpatch figures huge in California's surfing history, with many of our living (and passed on) legends above a certain age having spent their formative years there. I could see a spot like the Wind and Sea shack being reserved also, and even first point in Malibu...it's more of a historical thing than anything else, and that history, IMO, does deserve respect. When SUP has a few generations under it's belt, we may have SUP only spots, but I would rather that by then we've all learned to tolerate one another a bit more than we do now and it's unnecessary :)

~CCSUP

whit

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
I like to pay someone who has respect in the lineup to take me out and show me around.  Normally I can find someone who is going out anyway.  It will probably cost me less than a round of golf. :D

Kendog

• Waikiki Status
  • Paddle Surfing the Northwest
    • View Profile
    • www.awesomesurfvideos.com
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
whit-Great idea! A six pack for the guys in the parking lot will often secure your valuables as well. Depends on how you carry yourself though!
Kendog

waveshark

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »
I believe we have the right to surf anywhere we desire, However the skills to safely surf around people is a must.
I have surf in very busy line ups with no problems. I believe not hoging all the waves and being able to control your board, will show hostile surfers we do have a right to be there ..

Sup96720

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
The reason I voted for #1 is that I think it's only a few "Bad apples" that sees an SUP as a tool to dominate the local surf spots, rather than a way to enjoy all kinds of different ways to have fun on the water, here is Hawaii, people use them for fitness, fishing, cruising hidden coves, racing, family, as well as surfing.....the bad press comes from those who are strictly in it to surf like a Kook, take every wave, and think they better than the next guy..those guys dont even belong on an SUP, let alone surfing one!

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
I voted all breaks as long as the skills are there.

All breaks, rivers, lakes, and...etc.

AS LONG AS THE SKILLS ARE THERE. Think about any other sport: An idiot biker on a gnarly mountain trail is a liability to himself and everyone around him. An inexperienced snowboarder SHOULD NOT be exploring off trail, as he/she would be a liability to themselves and others. A rookie driver would not be appropriate on a high-speed roadway.

In any of those examples, as long as people are aware of their ability, and have respect for those around them, they should be welcome in any locale. Other bias is baseless and selfish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal