Author Topic: Starboard pin  (Read 4201 times)

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard pin
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »
Looking to buy a uesd Pin or other 12'6 race in the Los Angeles area. Anyone selling or want to trade?

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard pin
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
Ok ,found a used pin. It's a beater but it was cheap, so I'll get a feel for if I like it or not.  Thanks anyway!

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
The Pin is a fantastic all round board IMO Highlander51, I would recommend that you put a much larger fin into it. The fin it came with just doesn't do the board justice on either flat water or down-winding.

Something like the biggest dolphin type fin you can find works really well, had an 11' fin in mine and it transformed the board. Larry Allison makes some big area fins that would suit it well.

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »
Ok, thats interesting. How does it transform it? Is it because it does not track well with the stock fin? I have some fins with alot of rake and long from surfboards. Is the idea to get the fin behind the tail?
Thanks for the advice JonathanC

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
+1 on tossing the stock fin for a larger one.  Seems like the Pin has a fair amount of rocker.  If you are forward enough to keep the nose down to slice through the water, then the 2-3" of the fin will be out of the water.

It "wandered" alot with the stock fin and and didn't track straight.  It did do really tight bouy turns with the stock fin though.  Putting on a larger (11"- 12" fin) really helped with it's tracking performance and straightened out the line.  Great board, BTW.

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
Thanks H2Oman for the help.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:49 AM »
The stock fin that came with the Pin was tiny and meant unnecessary swapping side with the paddle, don't think it's so much an issue of moving the centre of effort back but I guess the dolphin fin will do that over the straight 'pointer' style fin that came with the board - so that may be a factor I hadn't thought of.

I'm very keen on down-winders and the bigger fin made a lot of difference here, helped the board feel more stable surfing and let the board trim on waves, the smaller fin would let the board yaw on the wave. The Pin is actually a great board for down-winding, stable and fast and plenty of rocker as highsierrabear mentioned.

Have fun with the Pin!

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
So I spent most of the day on my new to me Pin in the ocean, and messed around with 5 different fins. First the stock one which I thought was the fastest in flat water but could only get 5-7 strokes per side. Next was a fin from a windsurfer that is shaped like a wide dagger (5"across). Less yaw maybe as fast, but this is sorta seat of the booties speed check. Then various raked surfboard fins which felt more drag but picked up better tracking, so now I paddling 10-12 strokes per side.
Last was a fin from 20yrs ago, a remake of the old Dora Dacat fin. For those who don't remember these, think weed fin with a bulbous tip. Magic, 20 strokes per side easy and did not seem to slow much when changing sides. Much better dowwind although this was more of a following sea from 2-3 swells, not much wind.
Going up to the local lake for real flat water to see how this all works in straight lines.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
I had the Pin for about 3 months last winter.  I used a 10" longboard fin that worked pretty good in all conditions, then I swapped it for the "latest/greatest" Curtis Race Fin, the really swept back one.  It was awful.  It reduced the tracking greatly causing me to switch paddle sides much more often.  I thought it was my imagination, but one day on a lake I swapped the fins back & forth about 4 times and the good old long board fin worked much better than the pricey "race fin."  Who knew.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal