Author Topic: need advice for traction on Starboard  (Read 5392 times)

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
need advice for traction on Starboard
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
Just got my first board, Starboard 9' 8" Fish Tail, 2008 model. The traction is only good in the middle of the board and very slippery as I move back into surf position. The traction pad from Starboard covers the whole board, but with only good traction in the middle. Can I put a traction pad over the current one toward the back?  Any advice please. What type is best and will it stick to the current one?

I am down in Costa Rica, so supplies are a big chore to get. I prefer to do it once correctly.
Here is a link to the exact board I have:

http://www.surfingsports.com/starboard_2008_sups/slides/starboard_fish98_1.html

Thanks

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Re: need advice for traction on Starboard
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
The easiest thing to do is cut some grooves in the deck pad where it's slippery.  Try taking an ordinary cross cut saw (typical carpenter's hand saw) and drag it across the deck in a perpendicular direction (e.g. drag it the length of the board, with the saw oriented across the board).  Use both hands and apply even pressure.  The teeth in the saw will groove or slightly tear the surface of the traction pad and add a lot of grip.  An alternative method is to do something similar with 36 grit sandpaper glued to a scrap of wood, but this tends to fuzz things up a bit more.  It will add some grip but may not look as nice.  Another alternative is to rub some surf wax on the pad.  It will work, but look ugly and eventually melt and need replacement.  It will also leave ugly dark stains on the deck pad.

I would not stick another pad on top of the existing one.  It will add a lot of weight, and I don't think it will stay bonded very well.  You could try sticking some deck pad scraps on in a mosaic pattern on top of the existing pad and see how that holds up.  Adds weight but not as much.  Taking the pad off is a difficult and messy job and would be a last resort.  Then you would need to replace it with another pad anyway.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:57:34 PM by andygere »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
wax your feet. the pad will get dirty  but may help thats what i do in the summer.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »
I scuffed mine with a stiff wire brush and applied cold surf wax.  I like the Andy's idea to scuff it with a carpenter saw - then apply the wax...  I made a huge difference and those supplies shouldn't be too hard to get.  You'll have to occassionaly reapply wax but it's not too bad...  and it's a much cheaper option to try first!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
That's a fun board...my wive has the same one.
Biggest problem with the Starboard pads is how quickly they get smooth and slippery. The best thing to do is replace it. Andy's suggestion will work for awhile but its only a temporary solution. I'd do that until its no longer posiible then replace it.
Use a sharp putty knife to get the old pad off and some solvent to get rid of the glue residue. Order a decent pad with 3M adhesive and for the best traction cut it into squares and triangle and apply in a mozaic. You'll likely end up with spare pieces that you can hold onto for future repairs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:30:47 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

bean

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »
It sounds like the traction is still good where you do most of your standing.  I'm pretty sure you have already tried, but if the pad is not visibly worn, your first step should just be to give it a good cleaning (mild degreaser).  I found out the hard way that even new boards can be slippery if you don't prep them first. 

And here is my unsolicited view on "Monster Traction Paint".  I sprayed some on the nose of my board and it does provide excellent traction but it is really abrasive.  BTW, and here is why I bring it up, they do not recomend spraying over traction pads.

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »
whats the feeling about a small mosaic over the existing "smoothish" pad just towards the back?

bean

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »
I have not come accross any pads that can be glued over the existing traction pad. 

But if you pick up a traction pad for the tail you can intigrate it with the existing pad.  Just lay it over the existing pad as a template.  With a razor and scraper carefully cut and scrape that section out of the original pad.  Clean up the exposed deck and glue the new pad down.   For inspiration, take a look at Kai's board.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »
I've been riding stbds for a few years and never knew they were slick (on the deck that is).  Maybe I should surf without my booties to see if mine is slick. 

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
Booties would make the difference I guess and would be good for protecting my feet, but the water is around 85 deg and the air the same, so barefoot just feels nice.

Today we are putting down a mosaic over the smooth portion of the pad, that I hope holds up.
We'll see

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »
Booties made it worse for me...so slippery in winter I couldn't stand.  I replaced the pad on my 12-6.

You could try just cuting out a diamond shaped grid in the existing deck...more careful razor and scraper work but should work. I wouldn't even scrape or use solvent for cleanup....leave the glue residue there for better traction.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
Love the board, hate the pad!  Dang Starboard needs to get rid of those pads.  I regularly use my Pocket Rocket and it drove me insane how easy your back foot can slip.  I ended up cutting little pieces and sticking them on top of the pad.  I hate having it done that way but I was in a hurry and was tired of my back foot slipping.  Please Starboard, change your pads to something more aggressive.

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
Boludo!! Thank you for making me feel better. I am slipping all the time as I am a rookie and learning my foot work.

I have someone putting  the mosiac on, well it should be on by now.

You just stuck the small pieces on or did you use additional glue?
did they hold up well?

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
Mosquito,

I just stuck them on without glue.  Like I said, it's not the best solution but its quick and easy.

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
Well I was able to get a piece of pad and had a young surfer artist here(local Costa Rican girl) do a beautiful job. A real work of art.
Then waited over night, caught a dozen waves this morning like I never did before as I actually didn't fall or slip once, other than just novice  SUPing I felt like a champ.

But about 20 mosaic pieces fell off and i expect the rest will too. She had wiped the existing pad down with alcohol. but that didn't seem to do it.

Any glue ideas??

I am very happy that I see it will make my board really good, but am frustrated.
Any ideas?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal