Author Topic: SUP Conflict in Hilo  (Read 52047 times)

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
Re: SUP Conflict in Hilo
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »
If it would help, I could get some signatures from Kauai.

Sup96720

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
If it would help, I could get some signatures from Kauai.

The more SUP'ers sign this petition the better..because it won't be long before SUP'ers all over the state will face a similiar problem soon..I think that's why this topic is so hot and closely watched by everyone...to see where this goes from here.

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
Site down or did I get kicked off ?

flaboy808

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
I'm quite sure S. Tokunaga Store in Hilo will have the petition once the draft is approved.  We gotta get our brother's and sisters in Kona, as well as on the neighboring islands, and possibly even further to support our cause.  Time to jump on Facebook and let all my Hilo friends know what's going down, so shame!  Where is the aloha?

Takeo,

Send it here I get some of the local braddahs sign. They be more than happy to help.

SUP NINJA... let me know when you get it.  I'll come sign it. 

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »
Still waiting for the final draft, think it can be emailed! 

We need all the support we can get! 

The BISSA supporters said we need to keep surfing "traditional".  In ancient Hawaiian times, surfboards for the Ali'i (ruling class) was 14-16 feet long called "olo" and made from light wood from the wiliwili tree, often weighing 175 lbs.  Certainly going back to "tradition" goes against their reasoning for "safer" surfing. The Missionaries at the time thought surfing to be hedonistic and preached against it almost turning surfing into an extinct sport.....how ironic!!! Can you say deja vu?

The BISSA also say SUP Surfing should be banned or regulated because of safety issues, yet, our local hospital and lifeguards have just one or two injuries documented, much less than injuries from surfboards or other ocean activities!

The BISSA are photographing whenever a SUP surfer supposedly drops in on someone on a surfboard and crying foul! This is hypocrisy at it's finest!  Short boarders and long boarders have been dropping in on each other for years!  Go to any surf spot and you'll see this!  In fact, I bet you'll lose track of how many times you see this!

It's not the board and paddle, although that is the target of this witch hunt! Bottom line is, it's pure selfishness.  It's our role to educate our rule and lawmakers of the lies that are being told.  Sad to say, but usually it's the squeaky wheel that gets oiled and with all the squeaking that been going on, we all better be on our guard!

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Yep and try speaking up or defending on the Facebook page and your comments get pulled under the guise of not contributing.

I guess some pigs are more equal than others.

Sup96720

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
They keep bringing up the ORMA document for some reason on their facebook page...and it clearly prints that paddleboards are indeed part of the group of boards made for surfing, but they keep insisting that there is no mention of paddleboards in there...I think they may be only seeing what they want to read...

StanluvsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »
Another YEP +++ Coast Guard classification is seemingly ignored.

I have continuously asked for BISSA's and "friends"  opinions + suggestions to be posted for over a month now but have yet to see any meat tossed out  for us / et all to chew on and opinionate.

BISSA, what are you waiting for ???  Spit it out so we can all move forward.

Punipaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
For those of you that have FB, please support our group, Hui Makakai, by becoming a friend at: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002085284702#!/profile.php?id=100002085284702&sk=info

Thanks!

Sup96720

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
I have suggested that fb page to over 200+ of my friends so far..and more to go!!! Try and look how much friends Hui Makakai has compared to the Safe Surfing one....kinda shows who has more support yeah? BTW last week Thursday, Bayfront was nice...small fun waves and only like 6 of us out there total...hopefully the swell comes back in time for another fun session on Friday.... Surf S'UP!

Punipaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
Can any Maui people provide info regarding the so-called SUP restrictions at places like Hookipa (or others if they exist)?   Is there a reference I can look up myself? 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
There isn't a restriction, there's a "gentleman's agreement" that the lifeguards at Ho'okipa are aware of. No lifeguards at Honolua but the surfers will clue you in quickly if you show up with a SUP. The agreement is more or less like windurfers: if there are five or more surfers in a break the SUP guys stay away from that break. There's an even less official agreement that SUP is fine at Lanes and beyond (further west at Ho'okipa). Over time the agreement has become more lax. These days you see some SUP guys out in the main breaks picking stuff off at the edges and nobody much cares. I got a little talking to a few weeks ago by a lifeguard who said I was too close to kids at Pavilions when I was coming in, but he could tell I was under control and could handle it. He was just concerned about it setting an example. I think he was just making sure the guys on the bluff saw him talking to me.

Ho'okipa is a funny place. Strong vibe, but it's sort of a good vibe if you fit in. Like being nuzzled by a tiger. Might seem fine but you still want to walk a little carefully. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Punipaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
Thanks Bill, that was my guess also, but the BISSA (Safe SurfingAlliance on fb) people seem to imply otherwise.   I just wanted to make sure.   

Question for you Bill; as a group, do the  regular standup guys in Maui have their own self-imposed crowd control that most agreed to?   Such as, "x" amount of sups at a given spot is the limit, and others should move down to the next spot, or is it just a common courtesy thing?   

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard