Author Topic: Naish Hokua 7.8  (Read 6948 times)

Dankine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish Hokua 7.8
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »
Hi

I'm new on this forum. 

Last summer I started SUPing on a Mana 9.5.  I loved it, it is a great board, very stable and forgiving.   Next summer I thinking getting an 7.8 hokua.  Anybody witn feedback on this board ?

Dan

Dangerous Dan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Hokua 7.8
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
Check out ncpaddlesurfer.blogspot.com

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
search form!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »

Definitely a fun board. Fast, responsive and killer for moving around on the wave. It likes a steeper wave, but I can catch ankle snappers with it.

I've been between 180-190lb riding it in sloppy windy conditions (takes a little time to get used to)...to clean steady surf...what I have not been able to try yet is a clean sizable wave...I've ridden I think maybe shoulder high with it (Can't remember 100% tho)

What are you looking for?

Dankine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
Thank's to all of you  ;D

I'm looking for what it's annouced to be, and what my Mana 9.5 is lacking.  For most a faster rocker line for East-Coast type waves.  I surf in Me and NH.  

My first concern is the volume. I'm 5'10 and at 185 to 188... Heavy maybe for a board with 115 Liters ???

Dan
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:42:40 AM by Dankine »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

Well the board will certainly float you...might take some getting used to since it is a very different ride from the 9'5''...I mean there are boards that would fill in between such as the 9'0'' Hokua.

I don't really know what waves you have there, but that board excels in the faster waves.

The bonus is that the board is just so much fun to ride, easy and light to carry and looks killer. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
For most a faster rocker line for East-Coast type waves.  I surf in Me and NH.  

My first concern is the volume. I'm 5'10 and at 185 to 188... Heavy maybe for a board with 115 Liters ???

Dan

Forget comparing volume numbers, the 7'8 works for me at 188 lbs with wool lined Patagonia wetsuit. Probably 200+ lbs on it in full Winter gear. Plus I'm a gawky clumsy 6'2 and 56 years old. I surfed 2 hours Sunday morning in 24 degrees. My legs are sore today. I felt totally comfortable for 2 solid hours and never once thought I needed something bigger.

The 7'8 has some magic mojo going on with its volume distribution that makes it way easier to deal with than it should be  ;D

Regarding speed, this is THE ticket baby  ;D
It has changed everything for me. SUPing will never be the same. If you could see the 500 photos a day my wife snaps of my surfing, it would blow your mind. I'm dropping into wave after wave that would normally end in a short ride, then a take-down by the wave closing out. Now when I look at photo sequence shots, I see myself dropping into suicide waves and the lip never comes close to getting me. The ride ends up being so long, its almost like we have real waves (reef break). And when the wave does close out, I can for real, make it past the whitewater and back into clean sections and keep going. I'll never go back to boards over 8 feet again, except when surfing the offshore mush at the inlet.

For beach break surfing the 7'8 is our salvation  ;D ;D ;D

The jump from 9'5 to 7'8 is too much though. You need some training on something in between.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:58:04 AM by DW »

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »
dw, so what about mana 9'? obsolete now? do u keep it or selling it?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:29:40 AM »
dw, so what about mana 9'? obsolete now? do u keep it or selling it?

Keep it. There will be days when the Mana is better, especially this summer.

Dankine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:42:59 AM »
Thank's DW for you comments.

I placed an order for the hokua  :)  I'm also keeping the Mana for next summer.

Dan

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
Wow, u r Stoked on that board d-dub.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Dankine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
I suppose, we will see next spring.  Here up north, we are in the middle of our ski season ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal