Author Topic: quad fin setup  (Read 16254 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
quad fin setup
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:36:32 AM »
I have a Coreban Fusion 9'0"x29,5" and would like to try it as a quad fin.
What size fins would be a good startingpoint?
I have four 3,5" fins but that seems a bit to small.
My weight is 85 kg (185lbs).

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: quad fin setup
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:02:19 AM »
I just looked at the fusion quad placement. The rear fins are moved in off the rail, more toward the stringer. That is like my Naish. I just finished up my quad fin search. With that fin placement, FCS recommends a 50/50 foil on the real fin. When rears are near the rail, FCS says flat inside or 80/20 foil. That tip is on the FCS web site.

Now that you know, in theory, the right rear fin is a 50/50 foil you'll find FCS only makes 2 rear fins like this. The G-X and Stretch SF4.

That leaves us with the Q-7Xc and Stretch SF4 "sets" as the most appropriate. I currently own both sets. I've tested the SF4 and just got the Q-7Xc. I'll know the winner after a few more sessions.

The reason (I believe) FCS recommends a 50/50 foil for our quad placement, is this quad placement is used when a shaper wants his quads to feel more like a thruster. A hybrid feel, the best of both. With the fins being closer to center, the foil should be like a thruster, 50/50.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »
Great info DW.  :)

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:56:56 AM »
Corebans are set up for Futures fins though. 

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
That is also  very usefull info raf  ;D

Futeres offers the GL-QUAD but I dont see any info on the foil of the fronts and rears

Or I could just get one of these Futures set : FSA4 or Controller Quad which are not specifically for sup's but also no info on foils.

All fins in these sets are bigger then the four 3,5" that came with the fusion.....

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:37:37 AM »
futures controllers are great on short SUPs or the lopez quads
if you want something more raked and larger for bigger days

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
Beware of GL quads and Futures Controllers. They are magic fins for "some" boards and slow and stiff on others.

It depends on how well the Coreban rails and shape work. If it doesn't need those huge fins to work, you don't want them. Normal fins will be faster and looser.

I'd start with a normal set. Maybe simple Vector IIs about 4 5/8 in the front with 400 symmetric rears. That's a standard common set of Futures you can find almost anywhere. And not very expensive.

I'd buy PSH quads before I'd buy Controllers. The front fin in the Controllers set stiffens some boards up. The PSH sets uses the Controllers rear fin with a Pancho front. A better fin set.

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:15:10 AM »
DW...spot on again!
Just got the GL thursters,changed my board for the worst..slow and stiff.
I've only ridin it as a quad(sub Vs off my 5'11") and gonna try some smaller thurster fins.
I was suprised how big the GLs were,fins can make a BIG difference :o

JayP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • supXscape
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:31:20 AM »
Great info DW.  :)

Ditto that.................
supXscape Portugal

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:37:10 AM »
yep - these big fins work best on fat assed floaty boards like my subvector

also depends on rider weight as well

the best answer is to try and borrow different sets and find
what works for you - some futures dealers do have test sets
(another reason to use a real store)

OrlandoSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »
Since this seems to be a good discussion about a quad set ups I have my own question. I just bought the Naish Hokua 8"0 and I want to set it up as a quad. Any fin combination suggestions. I will mostly be using it on east coast Florida waves. I might use this as my travel board to Costa Rica and Barbados. So any combos that have gotten great success I am all ears. I weigh 180 and I appreciate any input.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
I just bought the Naish Hokua 8"0 and I want to set it up as a quad. Any fin combination suggestions.

Have you installed the boxes yet? I've quaded a few Naish boards.

I set the rears 7 7'8 behind the fronts and in off the rail 1/4" more than whatever I measured the fronts off the rail. Toe was set to the same point the front fins projected to near the nose.

I think Blane once posted he's doing 7 7'8 behind the front and 1 3/8 off the rail. C4 does about 8 1/8 behind the fronts and close to what Blane does off the rail.

These dimensions worked well for me.

OrlandoSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
Yeah the boxes were already installed so I will be working with what I have on the front. I was trying to figure which fins would be best with so many combinations available.

Absolutetrip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Absolute trip Standup Paddle Surfboards
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:41:49 AM »
On a Quad front fins get measured off the rail and the rear fins from the center line or stringer. For a consistant feel and performance the rear fins must have a relative distance between them but its something they have to figure out. Alot of the boards I see out there with quads have placement I would consider in the wrong places and could benefit greatly by proper placement. I do not tow to the nose with a straight edge I figure it with a formula, I also put 1/8th" less tow in the trailers on a quad than on the front fins and 2 degree less cant/camber. I have spent years refining the quad and have it dialed in pretty good.
 I personally use FCS MR-tx front and Q-1 rears in plastic do not like the glass or carbon composit fins a more flexable fin has more life.

But hey you eat what you like and I will eat what I llike...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:44:10 AM »
On a Quad front fins get measured off the rail and the rear fins from the center line or stringer. For a consistant feel and performance the rear fins must have a relative distance between them but its something they have to figure out. Alot of the boards I see out there with quads have placement I would consider in the wrong places and could benefit greatly by proper placement. I do not tow to the nose with a straight edge I figure it with a formula, I also put 1/8th" less tow in the trailers on a quad than on the front fins and 2 degree less cant/camber. I have spent years refining the quad and have it dialed in pretty good.
 I personally use FCS MR-tx front and Q-1 rears in plastic do not like the glass or carbon composit fins a more flexable fin has more life.

But hey you eat what you like and I will eat what I llike...

I debated using a specific value to get less tow in the rear, but found projecting to the nose naturally gave me less tow in the rear and it came out about the same using either method. I also do a 2 degree cant difference. So far, I'm not impressed with any quads I've surfed with rears close to the stringer. The Stretch style fin placement feels best to me. Do you like your rears in or out? I've got a theory........

Shapers who don't like quads tend to place the rears in, shapers who love quads go out

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal