Author Topic: Starboard Brush Carbon Boards  (Read 9172 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Brush Carbon Boards
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
What do you think of the Starboard brush carbon boards?  Is there such a thing as too light (for some circumstances)?  How about the shapes, etc..

For example, the pro/gun (10'3", 29", 4.3") and the element (9'8", 30", 4.3") are perhaps comparable to the icon and/or performer, but would be presumably a couple pounds lighter than the pure construction Corebans. Does that seem like an appropriate comparison?  How do you think those boards would tend to differ, or be similar, in terms of take-offs, speed down the line, paddling, etc. etc..  Any comments or thoughts regarding shape, weight, what have you are most welcome.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Brush Carbon Boards
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
What do you think of the Starboard brush carbon boards?  Is there such a thing as too light (for some circumstances)? 

I think some board weight is good in choppy conditions etc...also when lots of speed is involved (big wave, downwinders etc) you need some weight to add to the stability.
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

CCSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:32:17 AM »
There are times when a board can be too light, but there are more times a board can be too heavy!

I spent Thanksgiving in Baja with a whole fleet of Starboard and Jimmy Lewis boards, plus my 8'11" Joe Blair. Among the boards at my disposal was a brushed carbon pocket rocket. It was my favorite board until the conditions deteriorated, then it did become a bit of a handful as the wind picked up. So I would then jump onto my Blair. Then as the wind picked up even more (yeah...the conditions weren't great!) I found myself grabbing the JL Striker or the SB Blend.

I've also surfed the converse (9' x 30") in brushed carbon a bit. My take is you definitely feel it on the wave in a positive manner, and you definitely feel it waiting for the waves (in non-ideal conditions) in a negative manner, so you have to choose which is more important to YOU.....cost, ease of carrying, comfort waiting for waves, and performance on the wave. You prioritize these considerations according to your desires for your surfing and you'll be sure to choose the right board for yourself!

~CCSUP

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
A lighter board means less swing weight so it effectively makes a longer board feel shorter.  More twitchy in choppy conditions because it floats up on the water higher so it wants to ride every little wave whether its swell, windchop, reverb, wakes or whatever's. I believe lighter and smaller boards will push the envelope with hp progression like airs, vert smacks, and short boardish moves.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
But also a lot more fragile= more repairs=added weight.

What sounds a bit weird to me is the term Brushed Carbon.
Don,t get me wrong, I,m a big fan of the Starboard SUP,s and Windsurfboards but Carbon is a composite.
If you sand carbon it breaks up the internal structure and getting weaker and weaker, IMO the same with brushing it.
They probably meant brushed of the exsesive paint like you see with a lot of windsurfboards, but i do hope they brush/sand glass instead of reall carbon!

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
The "Brushed" in Starboards Brushed Carbon referes to the "look" of the board.
It is a full carbon board that is then painted white - to combat heat - - - and then sanded down to remove as much paint weight as possible . . . giving it a "brushed" look.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
My 10'5" WP in carbon (weighing in around 20lbs give or take according to my bathroom scale) does feel like a much shorter board but with the glide and wave-catching advantages you'd expect from a 10'5" board. It is a superior paddler taking little effort to get going up to speed that has greatly increased my wave count especially in difficult conditions, i.e: low-energy surf and offshore winds in my face.

How much of this is owed to the great design of the board or how light it is compared to others of similar specs is a question that I can't answer with my limited board demo-ing experience. Thought originally that I would augment this board with a sub-9' for big days eventually but as great of a match as this board has been for me at my size and weight (6'3" 220) so far I'm not so sure I need to get any shorter.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
But also a lot more fragile= more repairs=added weight.

I've got the 12'6 and 14 brushed carbon race boards - they are not fragile! I've actually never had a board that resist dings and knocks like these guys. Recently carrying the 14 on my shoulder turned around and didn't see a steel lamp post and whacked it pretty hard with the tail of the board. Not a mark, no compression no nothing - absolutely amazing. Starboard do say this is the strongest construction they make, don't forget it is a foam sandwich composite skin, not just a layer of carbon over the foam.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
I've been riding the 8'10" and 10'5" Wide Points in carbon and have been experiencing the same results Jonathan had on the race boards...nary a scratch...hundreds of waves so far...suck out barrels the last couple of days...definitely not more fragile...

In fact, thus far I'm calling them stronger and lighter...a typical oxymoron when it comes to boards...

Amazing acceleration on the wave face...every maneuver requires much less effort...reduced swing weight...much livelier feel...way more sensitivity on the wave face...

Spinning for a wave is less effort...paddling into a wave is less effort...turning on the wave is less effort...carrying the board back and forth from the beach is less effort...these new brushed carbon boards are a game changer...well worth the extra coin if you can swing it...

If other companies had this technology they would use it...

Light is right...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal