Author Topic: board and paddle edge protection?  (Read 17457 times)

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
board and paddle edge protection?
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »
New to the sport and am looking for advice on how to protect my paddle and my board from getting dinged up while I am learning?  Is there a particular product or tape recommended to stick to the rails of my board and paddle edges?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: board and paddle edge protection?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »
Car door edging around the paddle. Completely wrapped. That is the sure way to protect your board while you learn.

SouthbaySUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
Yes, they have rail tape and blade protectors (forget what they call them).  I used both when I started - saved my board.  Call the guys at Paddle Board Warehouse - that's where I got mine - (949) 574-5897.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
ya david john is right electrical  tape works fine and it wont really effect paddle to much and still keep it light.  u don't need rail tape or paddle guards.  just don't hit the board make the effort u will get better

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
ya david john is right electrical  tape works fine and it wont really effect paddle to much and still keep it light.  u don't need rail tape or paddle guards.  just don't hit the board make the effort u will get better

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »
You're gonna hit the board no matter how hard you try not to in beginning.

PVC tape, 20mm (found at Home Depot or Plumbers Supply house) works great.

For paddle I use mastic tape; it can be stretched out nicely and blade can still get a relatively clean entry.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »
 I use to use mastic on my blades edge till I found this stuff.

http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=173&idx=4&tid=7&setscreen=1&width=987&height=446

It's transparent and really tuff; plus: it leaves no black marks like mastic tape...             Later,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

CCSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »
I prefer to protect the board, not the paddle! On my demos I've been using a 3" strip of XM Surfmore's clear traction tape. I don't think it provides very good traction, but it does a great job of protecting board rails! I sell it for $1.25/foot, 12' gives you 6' on either side of the board. When you're done with it it peels off easily and leaves little to no residue. As a bonus, when you protect the board you get to set it (gently still) on pavement, gravel, etc leaned up against your car and stuff!

For surfing the paddle rim guards don't have too much of a detrimental effect, but if you are also using the paddle for covering any real distance you will lose efficiency and increase blade flutter.

~CCSUP

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
I use the two strips of Electrical tape because it is cheap.  Less than .25 per paddle and it has lasted me two years.  You can also use door guards/protection.  I use this on my car and it last forever and looks great and could be used on the paddle.  It costs more than .25.

http://www.shop3m.com/75347018865.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal