Author Topic: Shoulders sore (SUP, weights, eliptical machine, guitar, etc)  (Read 9524 times)

readymade

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Shoulders sore (SUP, weights, eliptical machine, guitar, etc)
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:28 PM »
So i've read about a lot of shoulder problems with SUP, understandably. 

My shoulder is starting to hurt.  It's not injured, but if I keep going, who knows.  I don't think i'm paddling wrong, I just think i'm over-working it.

I lift weights pretty heavy, I go pretty hard on the eliptical machine, play guitar (yes this actually does put some preasure on your shoulder) and now i'm SUPing like 6 - 10 hours a weekend, including surfing.

I'm thinking I might have to dial back some of this.  Anybody else have a similar problem?  Like adding SUP to your regular routine was too much for your shoulder to take?

thanks

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulders sore (SUP, weights, eliptical machine, guitar, etc)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
When I first started paddling outrigger my coach told me 3 things that I remember most:

1/ Twist from the waist, keep your back straight (slight bend from waist) and lock your bottom arm.

2/ Your paddle should never bubble, splash or make a noise apart from water running off on the recovery.

3/ If your shoulders hurt you are definitely doing something wrong.

My tip is you are doing something wrong, your obliques, lats and hip flexors should be sore, never your shoulders.

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:33 AM »
if paddle techniques not the problem maybe you should switch to dumbells instead of bars for your shoulder and chest workouts.  skip the overhead presses and substitute for front raises.  ive only encountered shoulder issues when either my paddle was too long or the blade was too big.  good luck.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

StandupSteve

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
A one week break will probably do you wonders!

whit

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
and a massage and an ibuprofen :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »
Team Advil. If my shoulders didn't hurt I'd think something was wrong. They hurt right now. But then I've been abusing them for 60+ years, what can a guy expect.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
Paddle blade is too big, go smaller and paddle faster, lay off the weights and paddle more or ride a stationary bike
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

cjv141

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
I had my AC joint repaired a couple of months ago and now all is good.  50 yrs of going hard requires some maintenance!  A week out of the gym and a couple weeks to work back.  I had no idea how little strength I had on that side.  Amazing  didn't paddle in circles!

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
I gotta ask are you stretching? If so stop that is the biggest no no in the book. Second you mention weights I would stay away from barbell shoulder workouts or the bench press in general if you really care about your shoulders. The key here is to train smarter not harder. Find alternate training exercises for chest and shoulder workouts. Please stay away from Advil or Tylenol because it does not make the problem go away it just hides the problem. Alternate exercises would be simplified basic joint exercises and indian club swinging ten times more effective and safer than stretching. For the weight training alternates would be body weight exercises or kettle bells and club bells. Remember a lot of the movements we use everyday involves the shoulder joints on a regular basis so the key is shoulder prevention.

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
how is holding a dumbell and raising it to shoulder level different from raising a kettle ball the same height? 
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »
how is holding a dumbell and raising it to shoulder level different from raising a kettle ball the same height? 

Honestly the range of motion with either has a lot of similarities. It's the Barbell movements that are very limiting type off movements that have more risk to injury. With that being said with the extra poundage that the Barbell can hold it is devastating to the shoulder girdle over time. Now if you are talking about dumbell versus kettle bell movements than that's a whole different animal because dumbbell workouts cannot compare to kettle bell workouts hands down period.

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
i understand the range of motion issues between the various types of weight training equipment but how does the muscle know the difference between a similar weight dumbell, kettle ball, or rock?  you can make any workout hard by increasing the intensity but why make it complicated when theres no need for it?  granted, the kettleball makes your body use more stabilizing muscles but so does any other kind of resistance thats not hindering the range of motion for a joint.  i dont use barbells for that reason for any of my pressing movements.
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
i understand the range of motion issues between the various types of weight training equipment but how does the muscle know the difference between a similar weight dumbell, kettle ball, or rock?  you can make any workout hard by increasing the intensity but why make it complicated when theres no need for it?  granted, the kettleball makes your body use more stabilizing muscles but so does any other kind of resistance thats not hindering the range of motion for a joint.  i dont use barbells for that reason for any of my pressing movements.

Ok just keep on point and on topic of the Original post I suggested alternate exercises for shoulder prevention getting away from weights in general.  Using the kettle bell was one of my suggestions to increase range of motion not just target the muscle using barbell training where it's more at risk of an injury. Like you said yourself you don't use any pressing movements with a barbell.  My question is WTF your completely off topic if you are trying to attack me with your so called explanation of which I already explain in my first response. Honestly I don't give shit if you are a personal trainer they don't mean crap to me if you want to explain methods of training start your own thread. Not Jack someone elses.

readymade

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. 

No I don't stretch extensively.  Only stretch a little before weights and do a warm up.  I've read about too many studies that prove extensive stretching increases the liklihood of injury. 

I've taken a complete break from any arm exercises for two weeks.  Only been doing leg cardio.  They feel a little better.  But then again, they usually only hurt when I lift. 

I'll paddle one day this weekend and stay off the weights at least another week. 

I do one thing, which might be bad considering what he first poster said:  on the last couple of strokes before catching a wave, I really jam the paddle down in the water.  I mean I lift it way up and just slam it in a couple times to make sure I get the wave.  I'm sure that's not the only reason i'm hurting, but probably adds to it.  It's a pretty violent couple of strokes. 

Thanks again.  I'll keep you posted.

waveshark

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
stop crying and get out there already.. been like 3 weeks

I am readymade sup buddy, just joking.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard