Author Topic: Replacing 10ft Mana - go the 9.5?  (Read 6451 times)

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Replacing 10ft Mana - go the 9.5?
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
Hi, recently broke my Naish Mana 10 ft (can't blame the board) and will be replacing it in the next few weeks. I am thinking of going shorter. Very interested in opinions but please read my 'profile' below first as I live in Australia where we do not have the board selection you have in the USA.
Background: I am 50 years old and wanted to get into SUP as I have extensive experience in canoeing and telemark skiing and moderate experience in surfing. Found that SUP was a superb feeling of combining all three: the J Stroke of canoeing meant I could immediately paddle in a straight line and this combined with the balance of skiing and being used to catching waves on a longboard meant instant fun. Also really enjoyed watching the wildlife while standing up - you get a much better view of whales and marine life in general compared to sitting on a 'normal' surfboard. Have now done about 15 days.
My first board was a Reality Ripper 9.5 and didn't like it. Replaced it with a Nash Mana 10ft and loved it for the style of SUP I like: basically mellow waves up to waist high. Found it to be stable in chop yet still felt loose on the wave for its size. I am not interested in big surf etc - still take some risks in whitewater kayaking and skiing but like to really 'relax' in the surf and tend to go out only when I am not going to have to paddle over big sets and hang on to my hat!
Finally, to my question. Should I replace the 10 foot Mana with the 9.5? Is the 9.5 still nice and stable when I am cruising around out the back in some chop while waiting for the next wave? Does it turn noticeably better on a wave yet still catch waves easily and run down the line? Obviously, being shorter and narrower there will be some differences but how big are the differences? Or should I look at one of the other Naish boards in the Hakua line? I can also get Starboard models so any recommendations there?
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
I know it's winter over there (hope they are getting plenty of snow in Telluride - had a couple of seasons ski bumming there in the late 80's and loved it) but figure plenty of people will be Suping in Florida!
Cheers.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Replacing 10ft Mana - go the 9.5?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
How tall are you and what do you weigh?

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »
Five foot eight inches on a tall day and about 160 pounds.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »

You should be fine on the 9'5" Mana.. It's such a good board and surfs much better than the big 10.0.. Where in Oz are you.. Can you demo one first?

DJ

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
Unfortunately it's very difficult to demo boards as I live about five hours drive to the coast (near Albury on the NSW/Victoria border if you know Oz at all). I get to a little seaside town called Marlo in East Gippsland, Victoria a lot. But again, no-one demo's down there because it is relatively 'remote' from the epicentres of surfing in Victoria. However that's a good thing because I often get dawn patrol all to myself at my favourite little break.

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
Oh, DJ, just realised you are in Melbourne. Bought my Naish from Phil Trigger, will buy the 9.5 from him too if I decide to go with it. Can you recommend any other SUP retailers? They all say they can order anything in but want to see them on the rack and demo if possible. Have a friend on Phillip Island - any feedback on the Island boards? Cheers.

Shano

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
Marlo, what did you do to break the last Mana?

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:10 AM »
Loaned it to friends - adult was standing on it with nose on sandbank and one of their kids jumped on it over the flex point. Too much load applied I guess, kind of a fulcrum / lever situation!

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 01:48:08 AM »
Please don't make this thread a discussion about breaking a board / quality / comparison to other boards. In the grand scheme of things a broken board is not very important. I am just interested in opinions on performance.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:47:08 AM »
Oh, DJ, just realised you are in Melbourne. Bought my Naish from Phil Trigger, will buy the 9.5 from him too if I decide to go with it. Can you recommend any other SUP retailers? They all say they can order anything in but want to see them on the rack and demo if possible. Have a friend on Phillip Island - any feedback on the Island boards? Cheers.

You can't go wrong with the 9'5" Mana.. Bummer about your old 10'0.. and I'll PM you with some buying options and my thoughts on the Island boards.

DJ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:20:43 AM »

I thought you were going to say 220 lbs since you owned a 10 footer.  ;D

9'5 is the "right" size for your weigh, if you want easy everything. The 10 is actually harder at your weight. Harder to turn, harder to carry by the handle, and no more stable "at your weight".

When you're that light, you reach a point of diminished returns going too big.

And if you want to challenge yourself a year or so down the road, the 9'0 would be the ideal high performance Mana at your weight.

Most important tip, get one with the new handle design. It's priceless  ;D ;D ;D

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
At your weight you'll love the 9'5''

Easy to paddle into waves, stable, but still short enough to turn well. :-)

windup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
Hi Marlo i am 220 lbs 6'2" and have a 10 MANA, been riding it for about 3 months, i also demoed the 9'5 before buying the 10 but thought it was a bit to much being a beginner and the kids like sitting on the front in flat water, now i am starting to look around for a 9'5.
so for your weight the 9'5 should be fine. :)

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Looks like the consensus both here and on an Oz site is that the 9.5 will work well for me. Thanks for taking the time to reply so far.
One more question, is there much difference between the 2010 and 2011 models? Can get both with the 2010 a bit cheaper.

marlo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »
And another question...........any opinions on the differences between AST and wood sandwich? Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal