Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128905 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
PonoBill--your response was better than mine.  I think you should write your book.   

I was watching Mad Men with my daughter.  There was a scene where one of the agency partners had just got hold of a manuscript of "Confessions of an Advertising Man" and was talking about it with the other guys. 

I pulled my copy off the shelf, along with "Ogilvy on Advertising" and tossed them to her.  She's been reading them ever since.  Those books are nearly 50 and 30 years old, but still hold some fascination to a teenager today.  I bet she'll remember a lot more from them than that white text on black background is 27% less readable than the reverse.  Too bad website designers still haven't figured that out. 

I think there's great interest among the general population in info about how advertising, marketing, PR or whatever it is that you know about works, especially if it's presented without BS.  Plus if you finished your book, Stoneaxe would pretty much be forced to get a dog. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »

The bullshit about American violence is funny though. Yup, we're all alike, just like all Australians are genetic criminals that wear hats with corks tied to the brim, get drunk every night and beat up their women.

Crikey!  I thought all Australians sing songs like "Mashed Bananas, Mashed Bananas" or "Wiggly Party."  Jeff Fatt (purple Wiggle) is a surfer, maybe he will weigh in on the Aussie viewpoint.  He looks great for a 57 yo. 
Lucky for us in the U.S. there are 5 or 6 Australians on this site.  That should be a representative enough group that we can extrapolate pretty accurately what the rest of them are like. 

And I know they don't all wear hats with corks on the brim.  If they did, that'd interfere with the GoPro cameras which I know for a fact that almost all Australians wear on their heads. 

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »

The bullshit about American violence is funny though. Yup, we're all alike, just like all Australians are genetic criminals that wear hats with corks tied to the brim, get drunk every night and beat up their women.

C'mon Bill we don't beat up our women, that's the Kiwis.  See the movie Once were Warriors for their effort at attracting tourists. 

The stereotypical Aussie woman is stronger than an ox, it's bred into them from the pioneering days when they were left on their own to defend the land.  I went for a long time only dating American and English girls as I found them more feminine, I am now married to an Aussie country girl however.

I make no defense of the corks (the flies can be bad), most of us with convict heritage are extremely proud of it and there is more beer drank in my state of QLD than the whole rest of the country combined.  It is hot here, we like beer.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »

...the proof is in the Bruce

Monty Python - Bruce

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2011, 02:32:08 AM »
I rest my case.  A story perfectly told by a bunch of Englishman.  Hahaha.

What most English and I guess Americans don't quite understand is that nobody loves an Aussie joke more than an Aussie.  I love this Monty Python clip along with all of their other work.  Most Aussies do.

I lived in England for a while and worked on building sites amongst other things.  You'd always get the site tough guy or funny man think that you're an easy target being 'the foreigner'.  They'd bring out the Aussie Jokes and I would be laughing the hardest and throw a few more in for them.   In the end I'd tell them the funniest joke of all was the fast that the English sent all of their bad people to a beautiful place and themselves stayed in a cold, grey, polluted ^&*( hole.  That's why we can always afford to laugh......

When I mention cultural differences between the USA and AUST the main things I see are that we like to laugh at ourselves and our society is largely kept level by the Tall Poppy syndrome where it's only cool to do well if you stay grounded and don't get big headed or you'll get chopped like the tall poppy.  This comes from the convicts as well.  Stay in the group and we'll all be OK.

Rant over, I've got study to do.  This unit is oddly enough about cultural differences and learning.

P.S You know why I like this site more than the Aussie SUP forum?  All they talk about on there is SUP.  Go Figure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:34:23 AM by CMC »

Rockbottom

« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
If we could all laugh at ourselves, we all might just get along a little better.   Take the latest you-Tube viral video of a woman walking through a mall while texting, oblivious to the water fountain in front of her.   the wall is shin high, and yup, she does a faceplant into the change at the bottom!      Does she laugh it off?  Oh hell no, this is America!!!!    She's hired a lawyer to sue the mall 'cause the security officers laughed at her.
    I know, off the subject, but what do I have to do to get deported to Australia?  My job here sucks.     

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
After re-reading my posts as above I would like to offer an apology regarding my comments upon this thread.  It has been pointed out to me that I may have been disrespectful upon a sensitive issue and this was never my intention, upon re-read I felt it necessary to make amends.  I also wish to make comment that these are my thoughts only not the generalized view of any other Australian.

It is impossible to delete what is written on this forum after a certain time so please accept these words if you have felt that I have been disrespectful to any American by commenting upon an issue which there is so much obvious passion in your country.  That is and as is relevant to this topic I am apologizing not if you have been offended but for commenting in the first place.

I have not surfed in California and therefore am ignorant to the current tension between SUP and shortboard that has given rise to the extended backlash towards this advertisement.  In future I will make effort to be more conscious of my words and to sticking my nose in where it's not wanted.

Thanks for your time and once again, sorry.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:25:10 PM by CMC »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »
Oh nonsense.

NONE of us know what we're talking about.  I only get on the zone either early in the morning when I only have three brain cells working or in the evening when I've had too much wine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
BruceCMC--wow, that studying you did must have got to you. 

I don't remember you saying anything needing an apology.  I think I speak for all Americans in saying that. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:22 PM »
The audience on this forum are guys that have Rhinoceros thick skin.  We have wives for gods sake.  I've had three myself.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »
The audience on this forum are guys that have Rhinoceros thick skin.  We have wives for gods sake.  I've had three myself.
I think the rule is that you're OK as long as you keep your total number of wives less than your total number of boards. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
If there are any wives here, I just wanted to clarify that if your husband has only one board, and is thinking of getting another, that doesn't necessarily mean you should be worried.  He might just want a new broad.  I mean board. 

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
If there are any wives here, I just wanted to clarify that if your husband has only one board, and is thinking of getting another, that doesn't necessarily mean you should be worried.  He might just want a new broad.  I mean board. 

;D ;D That was funny.  Still laughing.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
Apparently I am allowed to have lots more wives... Now if I can just master that reflexive hatred of modernity, and find a Zionist conspiracy behind every one of life's misfortunes I will be all set.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
I don't recommend changing wives.  I think the number of boards decreases with each change of wife.  And see, we don't even care about Rusty anymore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal