Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128897 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2011, 08:50:49 PM »
I'd say the chances of the rumor being true are zero, even for Rusty.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:53:46 PM by pdxmike »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
Bill, I hate to sound like a yes man for you, but it's true, you can find a wave almost anywhere.

A few weeks ago me and a couple prone surfer friends went to El Porto. They jumped in on a peak with a few other dudes and I cruised like 100 yards away and had a little wave to myself, in the middle of LA.

John from Paddlesurf.net talks about the same thing.

Prone surfing is bound by limitations on distance, you just can't go that far. Most SUP surfers started on prone boards and we are creatures of habit by and large.

I was watching Endless Summer the other day and when they talk about Tahiti they mention that there's no surfing there. (1966)  There wasn't... until someone looked a half mile off shore. I think we can do the same thing and create "surf spots" all over the world.

I paddled 5 miles today, think of how many surf spots must be within 2 miles of easy access.

I need a scouting buddy!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »
Someone said the ad for the Rusty SUP board shorts coming out later this year is supposed to have the SUP dude with a machine gun in his hand.

What does everyone think about that?  Would you be throwing the same bitch as the current ad?  Would you laugh about it?  Would you go post it on the Surfermag.com forum and say ha ha ha?  Would you still call Rusty and complain and cancel your orders?

Let's hear about the shoe on the other foot?

Sorry, that's just stupid. The issue isn't that anyone is looking to see SUP "win", it's that there's tension in the lineup that no one needs a fucking company taking advantage of to sell a few more shorts. Who is this someone? JD, I haven't seen you talk like a fool before, why are you starting now?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:33 AM »
Bill, I hate to sound like a yes man for you, but it's true, you can find a wave almost anywhere.

A few weeks ago me and a couple prone surfer friends went to El Porto. They jumped in on a peak with a few other dudes and I cruised like 100 yards away and had a little wave to myself, in the middle of LA.

John from Paddlesurf.net talks about the same thing.

Prone surfing is bound by limitations on distance, you just can't go that far. Most SUP surfers started on prone boards and we are creatures of habit by and large.

I was watching Endless Summer the other day and when they talk about Tahiti they mention that there's no surfing there. (1966)  There wasn't... until someone looked a half mile off shore. I think we can do the same thing and create "surf spots" all over the world.

I paddled 5 miles today, think of how many surf spots must be within 2 miles of easy access.

I need a scouting buddy!

So true Cowboy... you can almost always find a hole... and a wave to yourself... most of the time, however, the pack sees how mauch fun I am having and comes over and joins tha party... oh well, it's all good.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
Why do Sups have to be in uncrowded lineups?
We ARE the future prone surfing is the past.
Either adapt or get out of the way.
Cool story bro!

One troll quoting another troll?  This is too much!!

teach

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2011, 06:11:38 PM »
over on the -ing site the latest blog/column whatever takes all surf company ad managers to task for not stepping up and offering cutting edge ads like this one and also comments rusty for thinking outside to box.  this forum comes off as somewhat crybaby for the broad range of response.    let the fuss go on!

on a more positive note; saw a note today about two guys planning on SUPing the whole right coast to benefit Wounded Warriors.......very kool

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
Why do Sups have to be in uncrowded lineups?
We ARE the future prone surfing is the past.
Either adapt or get out of the way.
Cool story bro!

One troll quoting another troll?  This is too much!!
Pretty sure most of them are coming from here~
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1960153&an=0&page=1#Post1960153
It takes a quiver to do that.

teach

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
nope, this was a Surfing Mag editor

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »
over on the -ing site the latest blog/column whatever takes all surf company ad managers to task for not stepping up and offering cutting edge ads like this one and also comments rusty for thinking outside to box.  this forum comes off as somewhat crybaby for the broad range of response.    let the fuss go on!

on a more positive note; saw a note today about two guys planning on SUPing the whole right coast to benefit Wounded Warriors.......very kool

link?

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »
http://www.surfingmagazine.com/blogs/oh-rusty-you-rogue/

First comment is something like "Death to all SUPers."

But Rusty Clothing dude says its just satire...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

RL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2011, 09:39:28 AM »
This entire thread is sad. I can't believe the whining about an ad in a mag that for the most part is unreadable for any educated adult. The ad is for kids in a kids mag, period. I was brought up around men that didn't take an ounce of shit from anyone. Any grown man that can't handle himself and take care of business when someone gives him some shit over bullshit like where you are surfing or what kind of board you are on needs to take a good hard look in the mirror and grow a set.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »
No one is forcing anyone to read this thread.   I think this entire thread is inspiring and makes me happy that guys who feel strongly about this issue are speaking up about something that matters in the water world, tension and bad vibes.  Kids matter, I got kids, grandkids, I don't want them or any other kids blundering across this crap in 'kid mags.'  Civil behavior is the issue here and taking care of business has nothing to do with good vibes.  When people stand up and draw a line about violent behavior, I believe THAT is growing a set.    With the crowds nowadays learning how to get along in the water is a must.  A macho attitude isn't going to add to what we all get in the water for in the first place.  Plus it's a losing proposition.  There is ALWAYS someone who is more badass than you think you are.

Dub_G

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
This thread is sad? This issue is sad. This thread called BS on the corporate practice of manipulating a demographic to cash in while recklessly and disrespectfully tossing the best interests of that demographic under the bus.

People need to do this ( call BS on corporations) more in all areas of consumer products, marketing and sales. It seems like corporations market attitudes and ideas and people just suck it right up no matter how idiotic. The ad strikes me as Rusty trying to overcompensate for some insecurity by acting tough and sucker punching the latest scapegoat. Wow, they're so tough and cool to stand up to stand up paddlers. Maybe their insecurity is that selling their products at JC Pennys tags them as a lame sellout.

Speaking up and taking action takes balls. Sitting behind a keyboard talking tough, knocking things down and not contributing anything useful does not.

Corporations ~ advocating idiotic attitudes and behaviors one cheesy ad at a time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:06:54 PM by Dub_G »

RL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
headmount, for the most part I don't disagree with you. My opinion is the creators of the ad were hoping for the reaction they have gotten here and are very stoked about it. This will no doubt deliver the intended results of increased sales from their demographic. They have succeeded at pissing off all the old sup dudes and are now heroes. I feel it would have been better if this weak ad was laughed at or even better yet ignored. I think this thread has made them very happy with all the attention.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:42:57 AM by RL »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
that's always a risk when you respond to bad behavior--it's why kids act out. Doesn't mean you have to just ignore it, but you do have to think about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal