Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128907 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »
Kevin, I'm going to start a new thread on finding uncrowded lineups, Or maybe I should just finish the old Ke Nalu article on how to do it. The simple answer though is buried in the question "What makes a lineup crowded?" There are three elements:

1. Lots of convenient parking
2. Small to mid-sized non-scary waves
3. Lots of surfers.

Number one is the most important. If you SUP and you can't figure out where to go from there, then I'll simplify a bit. The most important tool is Google Earth. Using it you can find breaks that don't have convenient parking but DO have some kind of access fairly close. You figure out how to use the access, and then you paddle however far you have to go to the break. When there's 100 people at Lower Kanaha I can be surfing in waves that are just as good, and not see a soul all day. And I'm less than two miles away.

I know California is a lot more travelled, and there's more surfers, but I also know it works there too. I tried it on the last trip down the coast for the BOP. Three miles from Malibu, in a break with four other longboard surfers. I bet the Malibu locals know what I'm talking about.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

happypaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
Why do Sups have to be in uncrowded lineups?
We ARE the future prone surfing is the past.
Either adapt or get out of the way.

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
Wow, with an attitude like that I sure hope you give up SUPing real fast.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Troll! Or if not, please tell me you don't live in Maui or Oregon. the reason we should is because we can. Why would you want to surf in crowded places. It's where the sheep hang out. Baaaa!

Anyone who says spots are crowded because they are the best places to surf is not paying attention. They're crowded because there's parking, and because crowds attract crowds. I enjoy Kanaha, It feels like home to me. I know it like the back of my hand, but it's got mushy waves and it closes out when the tide changes a little or the swell angle is funny or it gets a little big. A couple of miles away (and less) are equally good places that a SUP paddler can reach with ease. You'll never find a surfer there--too far and too inconvenient.

SUP paradise.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stonecoldsteveaustin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
Cool story bro!

happypaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
ok so I got a bit carried away.I apologize for my tone.
Uncrowded spots are better for sure, I have only been on a SUP for  a year so I dont know any good uncrowded spots.
I have learned a lot from reading this forum though.
I like how you guys dont take any smack from these prone guys . They are always jerks in the water.

happypaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
Cool story bro!
whatever Coil beard boy.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2011, 07:17:29 PM »
ok so I got a bit carried away.I apologize for my tone.
Uncrowded spots are better for sure, I have only been on a SUP for  a year so I dont know any good uncrowded spots.
I have learned a lot from reading this forum though.
I like how you guys dont take any smack from these prone guys . They are always jerks in the water.

Troll Alert!

Most prone guys are pretty cool as long as you show the proper respect.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »
Gotta go now and see what kind of EZ Rider stuff I can buy online... Go Warren!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

happypaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
What is this guy the troll police?Like I said I dont know too much yet. I just started a year ago.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Kevin, I'm going to start a new thread on finding uncrowded lineups, Or maybe I should just finish the old Ke Nalu article on how to do it.

Ok. Instant Karma. I'm not saying anything more about this. Today was a weird afternoon, and there were a lot of spots that were either not working or so full of brown water that only a fool would go out. But still, one of the spots I go to that usually has at most one other SUP surfer had ten or twelve. It was pretty much the only rational place to go, but still...

Forget I said anything. Nothing to see here. Move along.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »
Thanks to our friends over in another forum

I think the ad is pretty funny. Don't see why everybody's panties are all in a bunch; how does that ad change the way you go out and surf?

Let it ride. Enjoy the stoke. Laugh at life's absurdities.  -JC

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Someone said the ad for the Rusty SUP board shorts coming out later this year is supposed to have the SUP dude with a machine gun in his hand.

What does everyone think about that?  Would you be throwing the same bitch as the current ad?  Would you laugh about it?  Would you go post it on the Surfermag.com forum and say ha ha ha?  Would you still call Rusty and complain and cancel your orders?

Let's hear about the shoe on the other foot?

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
Someone said the ad for the Rusty SUP board shorts coming out later this year is supposed to have the SUP dude with a machine gun in his hand.

What does everyone think about that?  Would you be throwing the same bitch as the current ad?  Would you laugh about it?  Would you go post it on the Surfermag.com forum and say ha ha ha?  Would you still call Rusty and complain and cancel your orders?

Let's hear about the shoe on the other foot?

Depends on what he is doing with it.  Clubbing baby seals?  Shooting congresswomen?  Back alley abortions?  Capturing Osama Bin Laden? An impromptu back scratcher?  Stirring a nice big pot of chili?  I suspect you would see a range of responses.  Let's see some photoshops and we can make a poll.  Might want to make sure you are square with the secret service if you want to try idea #2.  

A really "rad" campaign for Rusty would be a surfing Mohammed.  I may need to email Matt Lovas and see if he'll bite.  Surfers killing Supers is nothing, I bet Surfing Mohammed would get them worldwide attention.  Maybe Mohammed vs. Jesus.  Not sure which one gets the sup but I think Jesus is the only one that walks on water.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:37:45 PM by juandoe »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Who said it? Where did you hear it?  It sounds like a rumor being spread to stir up things.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal