Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128910 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
 People do stupid things all of the time, apologize and move on.  Do not insult my intelligence with BS.

Exactly!
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »
Somehow i feel their are more people saying "hell yeah" than, "this is B.S." Controversy is the best form of advertisement! Look @ Eminem.

Style_does_Matter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
Let's not lose  sight of what has brought this all on.
I have surfed for 25 years and paddled for the last 7 or 8.  Hazy when I started, but it was long before there was  these gawd-awful asian import SUPs.  You either used an 11' Munoz softtop or you had one hand-built.
Those days girls would swim out to ask to try your board, surfers would ask you a million questions in the lineup.
The handfull of guys doing it grew up surfing, realized surf etiquette and it was smooth sailing.
Since then I have witnessed the sport boom, and the introduction of hundreds of persons that simply have no idea about surfing or etiquette.
I admit I paddle less now because I am disgusted and saddened.
When I do paddle several things go a long way;
1. Sit the f@k down.  Nothing is worse than having some guy wobbling over you if you are are surfer.
2. Remind surfers they have priority. It works, you let them know they have the right of way, they give waves. its called sharing. just try it. If you dont like this concept go to an empty lineup.
3. Choose where you paddle and know your ability!!!!. If you fall during a session you probably are not good enough to be out with surfers. I rarely fall to the point where I wear a sweathsirt if its cold and even worn an iPod on smaller days..  You dont need a wetsuit unless its 40 degrees out. You should be able to kickturn into a wave with 1 to 3 FORWARD strokes (not backwards please!)

I love paddling, there was a point I paddled 5 days to every day I surfed, but truth is the sport has gotten out of control. Thats why we see backlash.
Just imagine if jetskis showed up at your fav paddling spot and started wavejumping....

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
Wow!
I have just received 2 calls from the 949 area code from guys asking for Rusty products.
I explained that we didn't have a ton of Rusty T'shirts in - because we are primarily a snowboard shop during the winter months.  
When I asked where he was calling from - he said that he was in Seattle and that Edmonton and Seattle were neighbors.

Really?

Have you nothing better to do than call shops that threaten to not buy your products?

Maybe Easy Rider will be featured in the next ad???    ;D

My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
The ad is still featured on the Rusty website.  Obviously the "apology" was a sham. 

http://rusty.com/us/ads/index.php?gallery_id=27&photo_id=5380

Westside

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »
So many more problems the past few years with hundreds of SUPs showing up at breaks with no skills or rude wave hogging.  I dont surf the good breaks on SUP EVER anymore because of the problems.  I dont like this ad but I hope that some thing good will happen because of all of this.  If this problems keep up more people are going to be angry and anyone who cares about the surf will not do it anymore.  Aloha and God Bless.

Style_does_Matter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
I agree the ad could be taken wrong, especially in the USA where our pussification is almost complete.
I laughed when someone pointed out in Australia this would not get much more than a snicker, so true.  Here we have lawsuits and murder brought in on the first page of posting.

Rather than playing the role of the victim (another pussification trait) its time to realize this CARTOON is nothing more than a SYMPTOM of an illness.

The SUP community needs to educate ourselves on the carrying capacity of local lineups. Waves are a limited resource, and the SUP is by far the easiest tool to consume those.  Just be aware that our actions have an equal and opposite reaction. Be smart, be aware that some of these lineups have pecking orders that go back generations and extending courtesy goes a long way.

BigBlueSea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
DairyQueen and PonoBill,

Your back of hand schooling has escalated to staged, but all the same viral internet beach beatdowns by the likes of Makua Rothman or the MTV reality show North Shore redicularity of Sunny Garcia, enforcer.  Of course it has.  Base actions always will escalate.  Now you stand by and criticize the inevitable result that your actions have brung on.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
Damn...this thing is up to 12 pages now...is anyone reading anything else... ::)

LOL....had to come back and modify this...noticed I pushed it to 13... ;D

ROFL...you beat me to it Warren

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:43:29 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »
^^^^ great you made it to 13 pages!      ;D

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »
i apologize if this has been posted somewhere in chapters 1-12 but i find it comical that the ad below comes from the same company... or at least entity:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/8825979" width="400" height="265" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="">Rusty Surfboards Stand Up Paddle Commercial</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1850572">rusty surfboards</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
Waves are a limited resource

Only, they're not.

This is the sort of thinking that has led to much of the problem. "There are only so many surfable waves out there, so I better get as many as I possibly can, even if that means others don't get a turn." SUP'rs say it leading to the "wave-hog" label, and prone surfers say resulting in SUP bans at breaks. I'm not oceanographer, but I'm pretty sure you could look at past models and determine that, in the future, more waves will be coming your way. It may be not in the next few minutes, or next few days. Hell, it might not be for months, but another wave will come with your name on it. In the mean time, relax and enjoy the sceanery.

If everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, just learned to share we wouldn't be having this conversation.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
Big Blue:  Hey teach, it wasn't me, I swear. Actually I'm not much in favor of whacking anyone for any reason. I don't think very much gets communicated that way other than resentment and the urge to pass the whacking on to the next set of victims. I am dismayed, however, at the lack of civility and the solipsistic attitude of nearly everyone these days. I don't find a single cause for it, I think there are numerous causes. But I have no idea of how we get from where we are to some place more civil and social.

To all the folks commenting on the spread of bad SUP vibes--you are not alone in thinking that, in fact, I think just about the time you get good enough to actually ride a wave with something remotely approaching competence, you start noticing that an awful lot of people on a SUPs are behaving pretty badly, and stinking up the place with some pretty sorry waveriding. Maybe if anything good comes out of this shitstorm it could be that we all start thinking about how we might fix that. I think new SUP owners should exit the store with more than a board, leash and paddle. I can't think of any better place to intercept those folks and say "by the way, there are rules to how you do this, let me tell you about them". Of course that puts a burden on shop owners, but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

It's not a new thought. It's been discussed here since this forum began. I built a little website long ago to help promulgate the message. Let's see... yup, it's still working. http://www.supright.com I set it up as a creative commons site, meaning anyone can copy what is written there and use it anyway they see fit. No one ever did to my knowledge, and it's not visited very often, but it's there.

We can also tell other SUPer when they're doing the wrong thing. I've done that about as much as I care to. I hate it, I'm not a cop, but if not us, then who?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:02:10 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »
Anybody else find it humorous that there are several posters whining about our whining? 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
Boring, time to move on  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal