Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128906 times)

sthcst

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
Well said Easy Rider....

WaikikiDairyQueen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
Quik still needs help after their Rossi ski fiasco...
Waterman collections may be the only thing saving them at this tme

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
Dear Mr. Setzler,
I would like to see a Rusty pro-sup ad in the next Surfer magazine.  Since you support all boardsports, I am sure you will oblige.

Thanks in advance.
This ^^^^ it shouldn't be that hard, you won't even have to use any violence, it's easy.
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
Waikiki, gotta say buddy, you've got me confused. I find myself nodding in agreement and then you take a quick 90 and I've got no idea where we're going.

I had the crap kicked out of me by two guys at the wedge in 1976 or 7 for the high crime of being someone they didn't know. Of course I was a mouthy pain in the ass back then, and you can all tell how much I've changed. Point being, wedge beat downs are hardly new.

Nobody does the minor physical corrections these days because:
A. The little bastards will find nine ways to press charges
B. If they don't do that they might drive by and cap your ass
C. You'd spend all day doing it

As far as the whining goes, that's what forums are for, it's really hard to actually surf in them, and it's boring to just talk about how much you love your new toys. And it's not eleven pages--it's four pages of whining, five pages of goofing around, and two of bickering back and forth.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
Easy Rider:

That was a great letter you wrote--every line of it. 

You have clout that most other people here don't---maybe Rusty will realize that losing a customer who probably gets 100 people per year into watersports isn't a good trade for gaining one kid buying a pair of boardshorts. 

I especially liked your line at the end, showing Rusty that there are other companies out there actually helping the sport, instead of exploiting it. 

I hope any sales you lose from dropping Rusty (probably not much at this point) will be replaced ten times over from customers who appreciate the stance you took. 

WaikikiDairyQueen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
Nobody does the minor physical corrections these days because:
A. The little bastards will find nine ways to press charges
B. If they don't do that they might drive by and cap your ass
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HowZit Bill,
Why o why is that Bill? Parenting? Lack of dicipline? No time for the kids?
Chasing the $$$? Brow beat by the kid for  a cell phone or a car? 75 cents an hour to get my first car, a 40 Ford coupe. These kids are too hip to work @ Macdonalds, yet they want this & they want that. Hell, now ya got me lost in all my ramblings.

I suppose point being, lack of educations for the "new" surfers, whatever they ride and yet they expect that they can just get on the freeway and drive like idiots. So folks get yelled at and once again, somebodys on the beach duking it out. Why?

Because the old guys aren't helping the new kids on the block so everything still runs rampant. Diff, and a few others had no problem getting in my ear or my face and correcting my bad behaivior. Nobody steps up today and say, "Thats not accepted around here".

Sad.  Take Care

Dangerous Dan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
My note to the Editor at Surfer Magazine -

Just want to drop you guys a note to let you know, although you have the right to publish the Rusty "Anti-SUP" soft goods ad, I also have the right to drop your publication from my monthly SUP, Sailing and Surfing reading list.  In fact, I purchase Surfer Magazine for my three Grandkids ages 8, 6 and 4.  All are great surfers and we work very hard to be sure they practice Aloha and learn respect for the ocean, plus everything and everyone in it.  In fact, not only are they great surfers, they're great paddlers and sailors as well.  If they need this type of humor, I guess I can go back 40 years and renew my subscription to Mad Magazine.  O well, maybe Alfred E. Newman isn't headed the same way you guys are in the print industry...obsolete in ten years.  Thank God SUP, Sailing and Surfing will survive because of the Aloha spirit, not "grade school" quality ads like Rusty's that are just stirring the pot!

Dan Myers
Lake Norman, NC

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
I did a little article on Ke Nalu. Mostly just pulls from the Zone, but I think Ke Nalu reaches a different audience, and even though I haven't been doing much with it since I'm working on Xtreme Geezer, it still gets about 20,000 unique visitors as month. Might as well let them know what's going on.

http://www.kenalu.com/2011/01/11/outrageous-rusty-ad/
PonoBill--thanks for writing that.   Anyone who hasn't read it should.

I'm not done contacting people about the ad, and now I can include a link to your article when I do.   It's short, and it sums the whole situation up in a way that even people with no background in surfing or SUP can understand. 

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
http://www.mattlovas.com/goldylocks/?tag=anti-sup

Something is missing.  Now what is the over/under for how long Matt Lovas is employed?

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
Tried to access the anti-sup page on Goldy Locks again this morning.  Seems to have disappeared . . .

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
Tried to access the anti-sup page on Goldy Locks again this morning.  Seems to have disappeared . . .

haha, beat you by 25 seconds.   ;D  Was following some the comments on there.  At least Lovas was publishing the comments.  Of course, we don't know what may have been edited.

lord_sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
I love the rusty ad. go kerrzzyy

just a litmus test to the general attitudes of the sup community. I didn't take it personally and saw the humor. funny how so many of you guys got so strung up due to your super entitled attitudes and many of you have never even tried to paddle into a wave without your paddle no pun intended. All these litigation threats yada yada. Who really cares, it's just a humor riddled ad. The power or ego.

anyways, hope you guys got some today, it was small and clean and I shared a peak with a sponger who asked me how I liked my 10'10

-lord

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
http://www.mattlovas.com/goldylocks/?tag=anti-sup

Something is missing.  Now what is the over/under for how long Matt Lovas is employed?
Fortunately you caught it early, and preserved his words for posterity. 

The amazing thing is, the artist and Rusty's president both said essentially the same thing--that there was nothing wrong with the ad, only with the people who reacted unfavorably to it.

The difference was that the artist expressed himself directly and honestly, while Setzler took the cowardly route. 

The most interesting thing to me is that prior to Setzler's "apology" most people who were unhappy were unhappy just with the ad, and others didn't care.  Once Setzler responded, it was clear that the ad was just the symptom of the real problem, which is the company's exploitative attitude towards the sport, and cavalier attitudes towards its customers and towards right and wrong.  Setzler's corporate PR-speak response was eloquent in capturing that.  It was also remarkably effective in rallying people against Rusty who previously hadn't formed an opinion.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
The amazing thing is, the artist and Rusty's president both said essentially the same thing--that there was nothing wrong with the ad, only with the people who reacted unfavorably to it.

The difference was that the artist expressed himself directly and honestly, while Setzler took the cowardly route.  

The most interesting thing to me is that prior to Setzler's "apology" most people who were unhappy were unhappy just with the ad, and others didn't care.  Once Setzler responded, it was clear that the ad was just the symptom of the real problem, which is the company's exploitative attitude towards the sport, and cavalier attitudes towards its customers and towards right and wrong.  Setzler's corporate PR-speak response was eloquent in capturing that.  It was also remarkably effective in rallying people against Rusty who previously hadn't formed an opinion.

Pdxmike, you hit the nail on the head.  My initial response to the ad was rather dismissive.  In and of itself, it is simply puerile and silly.  The quasi-apology is what has got my dander up.  People do stupid things all of the time, apologize and move on.  Do not insult my intelligence with BS.  Clearly, Mr. Lovas is a kid who could use some guidance as discussed in this thread.  I think Mr. Setzler is doing this as we converse.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
I still had the comment page up on my screen, so in the interest of free speech, here are the comments from the deleted page:

So, I am one of the graphic artists who helped on this advert. After seeing all you SUP guys whine on your forums I decided to make this post. I guess all you grouchy old men lose your sense of humor with every year you get older. It’s just a cartoon and if it had been the other way around you guys would have loved the ad. We have nothing against SUP’ers we were just poking fun at modern culture. Rusty is the man and he is all about SUP. No disrespect meant. Keep SUP’in and try not to knock out anymore groms on the inside, later old dudes!

One Love,
Goldy Locks

« Gastonjah Bam Barcelona & Rusty Ad »

Tags: ad, air, anti sup, eco stretch, ecostretch, ESM, josh, kerr, Rusty, SUP, surfer, transworld, violenceComments RSS feed14 Comments:

your mom
January 12th, 2011 at 11:48 am
you are an idiot

old dude
January 12th, 2011 at 12:02 pm
It is not about a sense of humor. It is about poor taste and worse judgment. Perhaps the puerile 7th grade graphics are supposed to convey the irony but I think you have missed the mark.

Robert
January 12th, 2011 at 4:51 pm
I don’t get this ad. Can you please explain it to me?
How do the images relate to “Escape” and “take it easy”?
To me the aggression and violence portayed in this ad reflect all that is wrong with Surfing. It does not really matter that it’s directed towards an SUP’er, it’s just the attitude that its cool to be aggressive and violent towards others in the lineup.
I guess Rusty is an old fart that should get the sand out of his vagina?
Get a life, Golidy Locks, this is total BS

John Loughner
January 12th, 2011 at 5:13 pm
Cool ad, love it dude. You da man!

Joe
January 12th, 2011 at 5:33 pm
Your tagline seems at odds with the editorial content of your graphic -

“pass on good vibes & stoke through art, music & adventure…”

But, it’s cool, just do the next one with the roles reversed and everyone will “get” the joke.

Good luck to you in your career.

StandUpTurd
January 12th, 2011 at 5:33 pm
Oh no, all the whinging kooks at standupzone might wind up drowning in their own self-righteous tears after this one.

Chumash
January 12th, 2011 at 5:44 pm
Love the ad, love the sentiment. Best thing I’ve seen in a surf mag in decades. Oarons don’t belong in a surfing lineup plain and simple. If they want to bring their floating sidewalks where surfers are, then all bets are off. Stay in the kelp beds or better yet if your such WATERMEN, Niagra falls! Surfers unite! Oarons aren’t surfers. My 7 year old calls them cheaters.
I will support Rusty for sure! Question is: where can I buy the tshirt?

FRANK THE TANK
January 12th, 2011 at 5:55 pm
WOW, the culture of surfing is truly embrassing the innovative ways to help the sport grow and build stoke for everyone who loves to surf. In marketing, its the funny pictorals, sayings and jokes that leave a lasting impression in peoples minds. Moral of the story is this is not a bash on SUP, its a reference that is consistent with RUSTY marketing campaign which depicts the RUSTY rider ripping in the water not to bag on SUP. Laugh at the novelty of it, dont read to much into it, RUSTY acknowledges the presence of SUP as part of modern surfing evolution, if he didn’t he would not be making SUP Boards. Take a chill pill and chalk this up to comical relief!!!

robert is a douche bag
January 12th, 2011 at 6:07 pm
Hey Robert, why don’t you throw on your roller blades and knee pads and roll down to the band camp. Don’t be so stale and over analyze every detail of a fun, humorous ad that isn’t meant to create hate in the water between surfers and old guys. The ad was just poking fun just like surfers have always poked fun at spongers and it will probably always be that way. Its just a way of life and to be completely honest SUP’s are about 2% of rustys customers. They are not a SUP brand and never will be. now if this really was to cause something awful between surfers and SUPers I could see why there would be negative comments. You guys who are complaining are the ones that are fueling your own fire. Have fun old guys.

EDD Cometh
January 12th, 2011 at 7:09 pm
Rusty sure blew it. I’d love to see everyone at the La Jolla Group right about now. Walking papers for sure. With the economy right now… ha ha ha love to see when the ones responsible for this trainwreck will find another job. What a screw up of epic proportions. I could care less of what anyone rides in the water… the ad just was pathetic.

goldylocks
January 12th, 2011 at 7:15 pm
Hey Robert, we are sorry for the advert and there will be no more cartoon slaughter of SUP’ers, or of any kind for that matter.

Yours forever,
Goldy Locks

WhyComment
January 12th, 2011 at 7:45 pm
Ditto with Joe’s thoughts. Your tag line is totally opposite of your editorial. I could be wrong reading in between the lines, but it seems there is more background to your editorial and why you even commented and came across the way you did. But unfortunately we will never know. Why even comment/explain if you feel you did nothing wrong? Anyway, go get some waves and loosen up a bit. Live positive! No matter what anyone rides in the surf, be respectful and get along, we’re supposed to be having fun out there! Too many people loose sight of that fact.

Robert
January 12th, 2011 at 8:11 pm
Golidy Locks,
I guess they say any publicity is good publicity, so on that account, good job!
I think a simple apology and admitting the ad is in poor taste (you fucked up) is all the old guy whiner pussys were looking for, instead of throwing more fuel in the fire.
As an artist you should not be afraid to create a contoverial message to get people’s attention. I can see how some might think it’s funny. I think your art refelects the aggression many surfers feel in the crowded lineups and certainly hits a nerve. Putting the art in a Rusty ad, knowing that Rusty is a Stand Up Paddler himself and makes SUP’s just seems stupid.
Good luck,
Robert

Who cares about SUP?
January 12th, 2011 at 8:52 pm
I GUARANTEE Rusty does not run another ad like this, and that they run an apology ad (due to all the whining). I don’t really care about the content of the ad, but I’m a graphic designer by trade and the layout/design for this ad is brutal. I’d fire you for a shitty ad, not for hurting SUPpers

Mike

ps – Chumash – “oarons”. That’s brilliant!!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal