Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 129282 times)

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
WYD-

So after 60+ posts of a mostly solid, adult discussion, you went straight for an anonymous personal attack?  

Way to go!!  Studly! OMG, you are, like, so awesome!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
WYD,

The manner in which you are addressing me, PDXMike, and Headmount is not appropriate for this forum.  Flame me on some other forum, not here.  We are adults and on this forum, we treat each other that way.

You assume that I am going to argue that Rusty should be held liable because of this ad.  You then conclude that I therefore am in the lowest 5 percent of humanity.  Given that about ten percent of humanity wants to kill all homosexuals, subjugate women, Christians and everyone else who does not believe as they do, and live in a pre-feudal society... you must have a very low opinion of me.  The cool thing is that I don't give a fuc* about what you think.

Back to the issue:  from where did you obtain this predisposition as to my logic and legal reasoning?

I have not written about that issue on this forum.  Perhaps you have attended a few of my trials or my most recent oral arguments before the appellate court?  

For the record, I don't think that Rusty has put itself in any (civil) legal jeopardy with this ad.  I have never said that it did.  I think I said that it was sad and stupid and potentially an incitement to violence... and therefore a bad thing but not necesarily an illegal thing.

I don't do criminal law, but remember a little bit from school and the bar... it is highly doubtful that they could be in danger even if a random crazed person were to attack someone... and the attacker was motivated by the ad, we just don't do that in the good ol' USA... for the most part people are still responsible for their actions... no matter what Talk Radio, Keith Olbermann, NPR, Fox News, Janine Garafolo or any one else says.

On this forum as we generally don't call each other stupid, or refer to each other's comments as stupid... and before you called Headmount a "stupid kook" or something, I thought that his background might be helpful.

Rusty has the right to say what it wants.  It has the right to mock SUP'ers in incredibly poor taste, while at the same time selling SUP's.  If the ad instead was a plea to local aerialists to try to land airs on the heads of SUP surfers, Rusty might have a problem when the move is finally pulled off... that would be called "conspiracy to commit assault and battery."  Rusty would likely face civil and criminal lawsuits in such an event.  

We can look for this contest in the next Lost ad campaign.  As has already been stated on this forum, at least when Lost does the ad, it won't be hypocritical.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
the following is the letter I sent to Rusty

This letter is to express my outrage and shock at the ad you authorized showing a shortboarder intentionally injuring a SUP rider. I have been riding your boards for a long time and for the past 20 years my quiver has consisted entirely of custom Rusty boards.  I have been riding a SUP for the past 5 years and even though I have a custom SUP from a different shaper, I have been impressed with your SUPs and have recommended them to my fiends.
From now on, I will never buy, nor recommend, any Rusty product. As a SUP rider, I am sure you are aware of the immature attitude of many surfers and no matter how respectful we are, there is always someone that feels they have a right to stop or harm someone that isn’t surfing the way they do. You are just adding fuel to the fire with an ad that advocates violence. I can’t help but think about the recent tragedy in Arizona where an unstable individual could listen to certain news commentators and government candidates to find support for violence against government officials.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:22 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, just a business guy who has paid lawyers hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last twenty years--and I'm very careful when it comes to business and legal entanglements. I've known lots of business people who were not. They generally are in a different business today.

Getting sued into a business coma doesn't happen every time you piss off a large number of people and expose yourself to a liability--as this advertisement my well do.  But it happens often enough so that most people make wiser marketing decisions. I have no idea whether or not this will result in some kind of action, but if it does it will be very expensive for the defendant (Rusty) and not so much (if at all) for the plaintiff(s) because they will probably be represented on a contingency basis.

Having been on the bad side of that equation a few times I can tell you it doesn't matter how indefensible the plaintiffs position is, there is always a business reason to settle. When defense would be a few hundred K and settlement is a hundred K, you have to consider settlement. Of course once you do the target painted on your back gets bigger.

I've never blamed the lawyers (well, maybe a few), we live, and they operate, in the society we've created. Part of that society today includes hate speech, and it can have dire consequence, as the parents of that nine year old girl in Tucson would certainly tell you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
Here is Rusty's president's response to an email I sent about the ad:

Hey Mike-

I received your email from our website and wanted to respond directly to you. 

Our latest ad has generated a lot of controversy – both good and bad - and certainly more than we anticipated.

The point of the ad was not to offend anyone or alienate any particular group but was intended to be humorous and take a satirical approach to what’s going on in the line up.  The surf world has become a very serious arena and we wanted to lighten the mood.    We certainly don’t condone violence and the ad should not be taken literally.

SUP’ing is here to stay and is a great addition to the boardsports market.   Many of us at the office have been riding SUP’s for over a couple of years including myself since 2008.  Rusty makes SUP boards and we are making softgood products that will enhance the SUP experience.   

There will always be challenges when any new sport enters an existing arena and how it evolves will depend on the individuals participating at their particular beach.  Those are the ones that will make it a negative experience or positive experience and I’ve seen both. 

I appreciate your taking the time to write into us.  Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to discuss further.

Keep surfing!

Charlie Setzler | President
14350 Myford Irvine, CA 92606
charlie.setzler@rusty.com |
www.rusty.com

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
That response was weak mealy mouthed PR speak for:  we created the controversy that we wanted...

Really, some of the response to the ads was positive... from whom?  Meth addicted seventeen year olds living in the surf ghetto?

I call bullsh*t on this spokeswhore's "explanation."

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
WYD,

That's called expressing an opinion... not flaming on a forum member.
Yes, a little bit heated... I get that way.  If you would like, I can explain to you the difference between opinion and ad hominem.

Thanks,

Tim

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
My very quick e-mail to the folks at Rusty (and yes, I wlll follow up as promised in the below e-mail):

Mr. Setzler,

As a lifelong surfer, I must say that your two page ad depicting the gory death of an SUP surfer is incredibly disappointing.  When the waves are crap (a lot recently) I SUP surf... sometimes I even SUP surf when the waves are good.  Your ad reinforcing negativity against SUP surfers will only serve to enhance the hostility that already exists.  Thanks for that.

Vandalism against the property of SUP surfers is not imaginary, it is real.  Threats to SUP surfers are not imaginary, they are real.

As an Orange County SUP surfer, I know this for a fact. 

Absent a printed apology in Surfer Magazine, I will not be buying any Rusty merchandise of any kind ever again.  You probably don't care about that as I only have one Rusty hoodie that my wife bought me for Christmas two years ago.  It will be donated.

Additionally, I will contact Tommy at SUP Co, Mike and Dave at SUP Warehouse, Bob at Bob's Mission Surf in San Diego, Evan at Easy Rider, and every other shop owner that I know to ensure that they are aware of Rusty's "provocative" marketing strategy when deciding whether or not to carry Rusty SUP related hard or soft goods...

I will also be contacting Clay at the Standup Journal and Reid at Standup Paddle Magazine to make sure that they are aware of the above-described ad prior to their accepting any more two page ads where Rusty talks about how stoked he is on SUP surfing.

The ad was in poor taste.  The ad throws soft wood onto an already raging fire.  The ad merits an apology.

If your ad intended irony... big mistake as understanding irony is not the strong suit of Surfer's demographic.

If your intended response is an e-mail stating that the ad generated lots of controversy, some good, some bad... save it.

Regards,

Tim

liquiddreams

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »
A very dumb AD for sure.. No need for it..

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
The surf world has become a very serious arena and we wanted to lighten the mood.

..and of course nothing lightens the mood like a little death.

How about, We wanted to lighten some wallets by lowering the common denominator.  

What an asshole. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
WYD,

Fair enough... I called the guy names while expressing my opinion.  I chastised you for getting negative with forum members... but perhaps that is splitting hairs too finely... so, I will submit WYD that I did the very thing that I called you out on.

Tim

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
add is also in transworld surf as well....

fl surf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
you and your company are lame I truly hope people don;t spend any money on your rags violence is never funny its a shame rusty is a sell out.But I always new Dora was right thank GOD I can paddle surf by my self.And not be in the line up with kooks like you.

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
you and your company are lame I truly hope people don;t spend any money on your rags violence is never funny its a shame rusty is a sell out.But I always new Dora was right thank GOD I can paddle surf by my self.And not be in the line up with kooks like you.

Troll!!  What do I win?

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
WOW!! That is disappointing and disturbing.  Wishing death upon someone is sickening.  Shame on Rusty for lowering their standards.  That ad is very graphic and detailed and wrong in every aspect.  No more Rusty clothes for me.  Too bad for those who have invested their money in Rusty SUP board.  I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to own one now.  Sorry to say but what's an apology going to do at this point?  The damage has already been done and if they apologize it would only be a forced apology.  I really hope that those people with little sense don't see this as a justification to increase the hatred between us.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal