Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128903 times)

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:30 AM »
Last thought - there are a lot of people who feel the Reef ads in surfer mag are in bad taste as well - should those be banned or should shops that sell Reef be boycotted until Reef pulls the ad? 

Is that the ad where the Reef Girl does an aerial off the catwalk, lands on and wedges some unsuspecting SUP paddler between her butt cheeks and annihilates him??  If it is, I agree. That is also in Very VERY bad taste.

BTW, not that this justifies anything, but does look like the SUPer dropped in on him.
Nothing heals like water time

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:14 AM »
Rusty is in business to make money, and no one ever got rich by being politically correct.  They know their market and are playing to it. 

What?  Plenty of companies succeed without shit like this.  It just takes more skill.

If I were Boardworks, I would never produce for these guys again.  Here you have Boardworks (who should be) trying to build up surf community relations and one of their own labels is stirring up the hate.

Regardless of the business arrangement between Rusty Surf and SUP and clothing and Boardworks, no one here seems to know it.  I don't.  It is all lumped as one in consumer perception and right now the perception is that this group at the very least thinks that violence in the surf is kinda funny.

Yeah, the guys who crafted this beauty are gunna get what they want with many surfers that are already pissed at SUP.  That ain't the whole game though. 

endlessfight

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
Making an add inciting violence to paddelboarders is one thing, and really doesn’t surprise me a whole lot. I think the biggest sham of this entire thing is the fact that Rusty MAKES paddleboards.
So it’s fine to spread hate on the sport, but it’s okay for that same company to make money off it? A little hypocritical, no?

That’s like Windows saying if you’re a Mac user you should die; but then selling PC’s with OS 10 on them.
 ???

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
That’s like Windows saying if you’re a Mac user you should die; but then selling PC’s with OS 10 on them.
 ???

Snap.  How do you like them apples, Rusty surfers?  :)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »
Is that the ad where the Reef Girl does an aerial off the catwalk, lands on and wedges some unsuspecting SUP paddler between her butt cheeks and annihilates him??

What doesn't kill you makes you...I'll take my chances.

There is always a place for a little lifestyle  ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:26:22 AM by Admin »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
Woah. I got a bad ticker.  Don't think I can handle....

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
wow, kickin body... but that is the exact same expression my 3 year old makes when taking a dump...

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »
WYD... I guess I am.  Please explain

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
 Wow Admin... I'd be glad to let her land on me, place my head between her thighs, and have her squeeze till my head exploded; ANY TIME!!!    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2011, 10:14:04 AM »
WYD,

Before you dismiss Headmount as some SUP riding kook... you might want to read last week's Surfline article about Tavarua... and the spots in that area that were pioneered in the '70's... without revealing the man behind the avatar... let's just say that Headmount was "heavily involved."

Signed,

SUP riding kook
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

What doesn't kill you makes you...I'll take my chances.
There is always a place for a little lifestyle  ;D

That poor girl, someone stole her bathing suit and replaced it with dental floss, and now she's apparently very puzzled about it. <<< viewer warning *** this user is packed full of antihistamines***** >>>
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »
WYD- I know your re wasn't directed at me but I felt your response ( are you really this stupid?) was rather like what is seen on sports blogs where participants bash each other.  It cheapens the experience for me.  Whether rational or emotional I appreciate a well expressed opinion.  Most on this site take the time to do so.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
WYD,

Before you dismiss Headmount as some SUP riding kook... you might want to read last week's Surfline article about Tavarua... and the spots in that area that were pioneered in the '70's... without revealing the man behind the avatar... let's just say that Headmount was "heavily involved."

Signed,

SUP riding kook

LOL. I am not dismissing anyone's pedigree. Perhaps I was too "stupid" to have quoted the wrong person? I'm not familiar with your BB's tool set, I guess. My comment referred to the user pdxmike, I believe, not Headmount.

My comment related specifically on this statement:

"Rusty created for itself the possibility that any SUP surfer who gets injured by a surfer, whether intentionally or not, can point to the Rusty ad as proof that surfers intentionally hurt SUP surfers, making it more credible that the injury was intentional.  The SUP surfer then will also sue Rusty for inciting the surfer.  "

This is one of the most hilarious things that I have ever read on the "Internets". As an attorney, I would expect that you will argue the legal basis for such a claim. Once you've finished doing so, I ask you to then go look in the mirror and realize that just the fact that you would argue this perspective puts you in the lowest 5% of humanity. Talk about frivolous. You guys are too emotional to make any rational arguments.

Back in the shadows...

WYD--pdxmike here.

I don't why you think I'm an attorney--I'm not. 

If you had the capability to understand what I posted, you would have seen that I wasn't arguing that anybody SHOULD sue Rusty, or that anybody who did sue them would win. 

But anybody in business knows that defending yourself against even the most frivolous lawsuit can cost you a lot.  I know architects and contractors who've won defending themselves from frivolous claims.  It costs anywhere from $20k to $100k to defend against a simple claim, even if frivolous.  It puts people out of business.  And what I said was absolutely true--that Rusty "created the possibility...". That's also why I said "It almost doesn't matter if it's (the injury) is intentional or not".  If someone sued Rusty and won, Rusty could lose millions.  But if someone sued Rusty and lost, Rusty could still lose tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in attorneys' fees, staff time taken away from regular work, etc. 

So nothing I wrote was stupid.  What was stupid was that you were unable to understand what I wrote. 

And don't make attorneys the bad guys in this, either.  They are the people who defend innocent parties from idiots filing frivolous claims.  They are also the people who if consulted might have told Rusty not to paint such a big target on themselves. 

And don't say that lawyers--or me--are "too emotional to make any rational arguments" either.  That's a description of yourself. 

What does "WYD" stand for--"Weapon of Your own Destruction"?

Smokey Carter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
Serious biz here......

Tom Carroll is the real biz.....I always thought he looked good on whatever he rode...

On style, mine sucks on both an SUP and a shortboard but I'm having fun either way.

As a community, I hope standup paddlers can accomplish one thing that the prone board community has never been able to: not take ourselves to seriously......

Have fun out there. That's what the water is for. The standup board is just another tool to utilize the water. It's a gift......Who cares what anybody thinks. Laugh at yourself.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
I like to laugh with myself, not at myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal