Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128935 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
Jeez, Did Rusty draw a picture of Mohammed? Let's not start an intifada. It is a cartoon.
I personally have no intention of starting an intifada over this.  Although there is a Greek deli here that makes ones that are really good if you put a little sour cream on them. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »
Surfcowboy, somehow when I read your posts I get an image of you sitting cross-legged on a mountaintop, seeing the world with perfect clarity and explaining to the rest of us what's really going on.

Rockbottom

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
Not a good Idea?  Not smart?  PLEASE!  Rusty is in business to make money, and no one ever got rich by being politically correct.  They know their market and are playing to it.  Yes, this ad did not get to print without being scrutinized...  by the same type of people that calculate that the defect in their widgett will cost $10,000,000 in lawsuits by people who are injured because of the defect, but will cost $50,000,000  due to recall, and lost sales.   For every lost $1 in sales from the SUP community,  Rusty will get $10 from the teenager that now pleads to mom and dad about needing to have a Rusty product.  It's brilliant!
    Besides,  prone surfers injuer each other and their property far more than they ever will SUP surfers; and when they do,  they are just treating the SUP surfer  like they do everyone else in their tunnel-visioned little world.    See it for what it is, marketing, designed to make money.   Makes them out to be hypocrytocal bottomfeeders, but...      OK.
      Personally, I don't own any rusty products, but I never had any reason not to buy them until now.  The fact that I have never paid full price for any surf apparal is beside the point  ($55.00, for a pair of shorts?  Really?)

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
Jeez, Did Rusty draw a picture of Mohammed? Let's not start an intifada. It is a cartoon.
I personally have no intention of starting an intifada over this.  Although there is a Greek deli here that makes ones that are really good if you put a little sour cream on them. 
Hilarious!!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
You probably meant Jihad, an intifada is a uprising against oppressors. A Jihad is an attempt to check or correct a wrong. First we'd probably seek a fatwah from a scholar. Either SurfCowboy or PDXMike would surely do. Then we'd get other true believers to buy into it, which I think is what we're doing here.

THEN we declare a Jihad. I'm all for it. Especially if there's sour cream.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
Especially if there's sour cream.

See fatness for the holidays thread

For this thread I heard Garrison Keeler say on Sat night... it's much easier to beg forgiveness that ask permission.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
whops ... than not that

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
Take anything I say with a grain of sour cream. I have a 103 degree temperature. Maybe I shouldn't have done the Sorrentos opener race yesterday, but I just couldn't lay around while there was a race on.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »

I like Crème fraiche.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
I'd like to remind people that we're supposed to be outraged on this thread.  I'm still writing Obama tomorrow.

And I think the Fatwah comes after the sour cream, not before.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
If anyone needs Jihadi gear, they have some sick new stuff in the Shop for Guys section at J.C. Penney.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
I'm outraged because I know it obviously doesn't take much to tip the scales on a nut case to do something like what happened in Arizona.  Nobody wants to pay to deal with insane people and no one wants to pry their piece out of their cold hands so it all becomes acceptable and a numb reality.  But this Rusty issue IS part of the larger issue that is a fabric of this country.  All my pals in other countries except Mexico say, is it safe in America?  We all say of course because we're used to this level.  But what happens when it's like Mexico?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 12:31:21 AM »
Mike, I appreciate the image but I'm just spilling my opinions on the net like the rest of us. You however, have a career in comedy writing but after PDX, you'd never settle for LA life. ;)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:31 AM »
Headmount--this thread bounces back and forth between serious, joking, irrelevant...I know I do. 

But I have been following through on going after Rusty (the company) because I agree with you.  The ad does look like a cartoon some kid scrawled at school--in which case it really would be "just a cartoon".  But instead, it was done by adults to exploit kids.  People are getting too used to and accepting of that. 

It's not likely that this ad will spur anyone to kill a paddler.   It may spur someone to slash someone's tires, or utter some minor insult that will later escalate to something serious.  Or maybe not.  But I'm less concerned with the potential impact on paddlers than with the certain impact on surfer--or wannabe surfer--kids.  It makes their world that much more crude.

The "cartoon" is part of a marketing strategy aimed at kids by adults, to make money for the adults by knowingly exploiting current, real, potentially-dangerous anti-SUP sentiments.  It takes an explosive situation and adds fire to it.   Whether or not you believe that "any publicity is good publicity" (ask BP about that) it certainly was driven by that thinking.  Certainly the company was thinking that if it generates some protests, that will only spur more sales.  Even if that happens, the fact that the company profits does not make it right.

The overarching problem to me is not what the ad might do to paddlers, but what it is already doing to kids.  It shows them that adults believe that anti-SUP hate is not only acceptable, it's a joke.  It's not a matter of a group laughing at itself, or even of an anti-SUP surfer spouting hate in a parking lot, but of a company led by adults playing on hate towards an outside group because they think that strategy will make them money and it is not illegal.  I would respect Rusty more if it really did hate SUPs.  But it doesn't.  Rusty'll take your money for a SUP with one hand while they're drawing cartoons of you getting murdered with the other.  They're just taking the easy route of playing on SUP hate to market their boardshorts. 

Any company can make its ads stand out by being controversial or crude.  It's easy.  It's a lot more difficult to do it by being original or inspiring.

I see no difference between Rusty and cowards that egg on other kids to fight, then watch the fighters suffer the consequences while they escape any themselves--except for the fact that those are kids, and these are adults who should know better. 

Judging by the ad, Rusty is a cowardly and lazy company.  It deserves criticism.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »
Mike, I appreciate the image but I'm just spilling my opinions on the net like the rest of us. You however, have a career in comedy writing but after PDX, you'd never settle for LA life. ;)
I always thought I'd like living there, but on the other hand I have a client who commutes--a couple weeks up here locked in his studio, then a couple down there on a sound stage doing film scores.  There must be a reason why he moved here from there. 

On the other hand, it's tops on my list of places to visit. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal