Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128899 times)

joeag

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
Punctured tires at PV Cove - the home of longboard kooks since the beginning of time?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Of course I also have the right to make that advertisement work as badly for them as I can. It's bait, we know that. But sometimes you catch something you can't handle.

If the shortboarder had been killing a longboarder the ad would have more relevance but probably wouldn't have been run--or created in the first place. The idea is to express the hate towards a group too small and too isolated to have an important response.

And it's not just a cartoon. There are only a few people who would not be outraged by a cartoon showing a black person being lynched. Even a world-class black hole of taste like Larry Flynt finally had to back off on the Lester The Molester cartoons Hustler ran.  It's not the media that matters, it's the message.

How far is this from what we surf for?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
Really, whats the big deal.  The funniest part is that it would never happen because the SUP dude would swing his paddle and cleave the surfer in half in mid-air.  I mean if we're going to play in fantasy land anyways....  In my limited experience with SUP vs prone interaction, the SUP usually gives way because he/she knows damned well he could cut the other guy in half or worse if he wanted to. 

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
its not a big deal. its just that this guy makes s u p s and actually takes part in the sport.  if it were another company say 'lost' or something id think it was almost funny. but this is a asshole that will take are money in one hand and stab u with the other.  just a dick.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
Threads like this really highlight the cultural difference to me between Australia and the USA.  I would put my nads on the line to say if this ad ran in an Aussie mag 99% of people would shrug and laugh it off.  You know what, a lot of shortboarders do not like SUP riders.  You don't care, if you did you'd stop.  You know it's fun and you know you get a bit of crap from time to time, you have already made the decision that the fun you are having is worth it.

Rusty Surfboards and Rusty Clothing are different entities.  Don't blame the namesake, he's obviously into SUP. Talk to the marketing and art department at Rusty Clothing.

It's hard to cut through in advertising, I'd say they done pretty well cutting through and standing out from the other ads with this one.  They would have thought it through and maybe hoped for some talk on it as a bit of a piss take.  Nothing surer though than creating an outrage on this ad will give it exposure and the old line 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' will shine through.  The more upset you get, the more board ECO boardies they will sell.

My recommendation would be to relax a little, it's a cartoon, the kind you'd see on a school book.  Chill out, laugh at yourself and go for a paddle.

lamontweaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
Jeez, Did Rusty draw a picture of Mohammed? Let's not start an intifada. It is a cartoon.

I am sure this was funny to young guys who think skulls are cool. I liked the speedo and bathing cap touch.

I doubt that Rusty had an evil plan to piss off the old SUP guys thinking any publicity is good publicity. I am sure they just thought this would be a funny ad to the surf mag readers who mostly don't think SUP is cool.

Being uncool over a cartoon is not going to make SUP seem cooler. Don't let the haters get to you.

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
Sorry guys!

That is me in the rusty ad, I'm really ashamed of myself, I couldn't get out of Kerrs way in time and he obliterated me and my Rusty SUP with his Rusty potato chip board!

But seriously, the ad does suck! its stupid and hypocritical, whether or not rusty clothing and boards are 2 different entities they share the Rusty name and the brand recognition that comes along with it, I would have a difficult time believing that the clothing line can run an ad without the board line signing off on it.

Its a shame to, my favorite board is my 6ft rusty piranha, and an ad like this could most def perpetuate hate and create new haters.
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
I don't have a lot to add. This is a pretty great thread.

1 - Rusty, the man, is probably pretty embarrassed.

2 - You'd be surprised how often huge ad decisions are made by idiots and or inexperienced folks. Especially in "extreme" sports.

3 - JC Penny says it all.

4 - It's a joke, but like Bill says, that doesn't mean you should do it, and or that we can't have some fun with it.

The final word for me is that this is actually the end of the "surfers vs. SUP" thing.

Once something becomes "mainstream" it's no longer cool or the in thing with the core audience. If this has made it to the JC Penny level of some C level clothing licensee then we are officially out of the woods.

Looks like we made it. Hating on SUP's is now officially "so last year". Any real surfer has long since moved on to hating on WaveJetters.

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
Rusty shot himself in the foot on this one what a Dum Ass, if he gets sued
and looses big $$$ he fully deserves it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
I don't have a lot to add. This is a pretty great thread.

1 - Rusty, the man, is probably pretty embarrassed.

2 - You'd be surprised how often huge ad decisions are made by idiots and or inexperienced folks. Especially in "extreme" sports.

3 - JC Penny says it all.

4 - It's a joke, but like Bill says, that doesn't mean you should do it, and or that we can't have some fun with it.

The final word for me is that this is actually the end of the "surfers vs. SUP" thing.

Once something becomes "mainstream" it's no longer cool or the in thing with the core audience. If this has made it to the JC Penny level of some C level clothing licensee then we are officially out of the woods.

Looks like we made it. Hating on SUP's is now officially "so last year". Any real surfer has long since moved on to hating on WaveJetters.

I do like the way you think Cowboy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
I get Surfer mag for free, I wouldn't pay a dime for it, i look at it and give it to my 20 year old who throws it in the trash 10min. later... the content is soooo very poor, it's demographic audience is 12-21 year old males ( I'm really going to piss off some people now), so this ad is no surprise

It is a stupid cartoon/joke

I've heard that Rusty already has agreed to run a two page ad in next Surfer of a SUPer with a paddlle/machine gun combination taking out shortboarders that don't get out of the way.

Acuático

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
"
RUSTY SUP

Rusty Preisendorfer has given true meaning to the phrase, "You can be whatever you want when you grow up." With a talent for art and design too impressive to deny, Rusty has taken his passion of shaping surfboards and made a life out of it.

Early in 2007 Rusty started to stand-up paddle primarily to cross train for his surfing; “beats going to the gym!”. Soon after he started building SUP’s. Several factors made the transition into the bigger boards quite easy and natural. Rusty has a long history of building bigger boards, including sailboards in the early 80’s. He has been using CAD programs to design boards for nearly a decade. This allows for strong control over design and experimentation but with complete repeatability. Since the closure of Clark Foam in late 2005, he has focused on EPS/Epoxy construction. In addition, Rusty has been working on his own vacuum bagged custom composites for several years.

“Stand up paddling gets me in the water virtually every day. I love the tranquility of open water touring. And, after having surfed for 40 plus years, I also enjoy the challenge of a new approach to riding waves. Sharing the experience is equally rewarding.”
- Rusty Dec. 2009

Taken from http://www.boardworkssup.com/boards/rusty.php

lamontweaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »
Rest assured, Rusty is definitely not anti-SUP.

They are about to release a SUP specific line of boardshorts made with stand up paddler's needs in mind.

They are called the ECO Extra Stretch Depends boardshorts.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
Lynchings?  Larry Flint?  Sometimes a cartoon is just a cartoon.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
So take the 4 posts above and perhaps you've got a fun scenario playing out before the summer and boardshort selling season.

Rusty sells SUP, no sense is bagging them, have some fun get some exposure, run an ad that gets people really talking with a shortboarder killing a SUP.  In the next issue do one reversing the scenario and release the SUP specific version of the same short.

That's a lot of media exposure and far more value for the double page spend in 2 issues.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal