Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128932 times)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
yeah i saw that too Mike!-whatever-gonna contact the CEO of Source Interlink-Michael Sullivan out of Bonita Springs FL on Monday and at least try to contact him-same thing with ASG Head.
Will it do anything-not really-but whats the quote about good people standing by doing nothing?!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Glider

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »
Ah yes, mindless wonders who follow the P C crowd, Boycott with your dollars and tell them why.  Do it in a rspectful manner and sometimes they listen, most of the time they don't.  If the Rusty powers have any backbone they will retract and apologize.  I wouldn't hold out for one however.  The last couple of years I have been amazed at what sheep the average young 20 to 40 yr old surfer have become.  So much for their aloha spirit.  B S. They all need to read the history of surfing going back to 1900 forward.  The many surfers and paddlers/waterman who were always experimenting with boards, fins wetsuits etc.  Different ways to ride a wave.  Not to mention pioneering new surf spots.  Its been my experience the ones with the biggest mouths don't surf that well and always surf with a crowd and on the beach when it big.  Most can only ride one type board.  Thats what I love about Standup, one can paddle to a wide variety of off shore reefs sandbars and point breaks.  Rusty has just lost any business I might of thrown their way.  I will contact them over this.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
I don't know what the relationship between Rusty SUP and the clothing line is, but I am certain this will not be good for Rusty SUP.  We wouldn't accept an ad from them, and I personaly wouldn't purchase their products until they retract this ad and apologize for it's message.  Considering who their market is, this was really irresponsible.   If we see any posts here which are threats, promote violence, jokes from members (i.e. whacking surfers with their paddles) or any other vitriol we delete it.  All it takes is one whacko to make it clear that words matter. 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
Mixed message?

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
I saw the ad too and got pissed off.  Like others have said, there are a lot of idiots who will be encouraged to continue to persecute SUP'ers in the water, because Rusty makes it look funny and cool.  I think rather than just calling Rusty, we should call Boardwork in Oceanside (or wherever they are) and let them know how we feel about it.  I may even pass this along to a friend at Surftech, who would probably love to stick it to a competitor for making fun of their own customer base.  Rusty may not have much to lose by himself, but Boardworks does.  They are the ones who have to build and sell these things. 

SoCalSupper, you are the man!

Newbomb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
Interesting description of their one SUP in their catalog.

THE STAND UP:
It's obvious, the craze is on. The Stand Up is a fun alternative and excellent device for cross training. It's addicting and it will get you in the water on a lot days, or places, you might normally pass on.

GOOD FOR: Cardio and surfing on unsurfable days

Obviously from language like this they are trying to do as little as possible to promote SUP surfing in their message but happily selling the board at the same time.

I love the language. "fun alternative, excellent device. Huh?
Salt-less SUPer from the Great Lakes

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
Rusty has a retail partnership with J.C. Penney.  It could be interesting to see what J.C. Penney thinks about their new partner's ad.  I think I'll find out Monday.

http://www.shop-eat-surf.com/news-item/1373/rusty-charlie-setzler-wired-fleece-jcpenny

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Interesting description of their one SUP in their catalog.

THE STAND UP:
It's obvious, the craze is on. The Stand Up is a fun alternative and excellent device for cross training. It's addicting and it will get you in the water on a lot days, or places, you might normally pass on.

GOOD FOR: Cardio and surfing on unsurfable days

Obviously from language like this they are trying to do as little as possible to promote SUP surfing in their message but happily selling the board at the same time.

I love the language. "fun alternative, excellent device. Huh?
The other interesting thing about it is that their heading for the board reads "STAND UP PADLE". 

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
Here's my own letter to the Rusty folks, via the link someone posted.  I tried to refrain from the insults too much.  Not that I own any Rusty products or ever will.  Not that I actually own any surf lifestyle clothing, or ever will.  It's about actual time on the water and not surf lifestyle.  But they lost a potential customer nonetheless:

RE:  Your anti-SUP ad is total bullshit.

What's up with your ad depicting the surfer killing the SUP rider?  I know that surfing industry is about lifestyle marketing rather than actual surfing, but your ad is over the top BS.

SUP is in it's infancy, but is here to stay.  SUP is going to be an important part of the surf market in time, which means $$$ and customers.  Don't alienate your customers and potential customers with anti-SUP ads.  You've lost my business for life from this ad- and I'm a 40-year old with a significant discretionary income with a quiver of boards.  I'll be sure to tell my SUPing friends about your ad (most of them are lifelong prone surfers with discretionary incomes who have added SUP to their quiver as well).  You may not care about my opinion, but you probably do care about your bottom line.

This whole SUP bashing trend is going to look just as stupid as the ski vs. snowboard BS did 15-20 years ago.  (Yeah, I snowboard AND ski too, depending on the conditions).  There will of course, be issues as SUPs find their place in the world.

As a surf lifestyle company, the sooner you make room for all water users, the better your bottom line.

We are all in the water for the same reasons, no matter what the choice of ride.

Grow up.

Newbomb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »
Rusty has a retail partnership with J.C. Penney.  It could be interesting to see what J.C. Penney thinks about their new partner's ad.  I think I'll find out Monday.

Nothing says aggro, anti-establishment rebellion like J.C. Penney. The contradictions and hypocrisy are comical.

Everything works itself out in the end.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:03:54 PM by Newbomb »
Salt-less SUPer from the Great Lakes

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
From movie Hombre.  Mexican Bandit...Hey, hombre! A compliment on your shooting! You put a hole in me! Whew. I never had a bellyache like this since I'm a little boy. Hey amigo! Friend! I am going to give you back this bullet.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
Here are the ads. Quite shocking actually. I guess they maybe even illegal in most countries, where death threats are a criminal offence.

Found on the SurferMag forum, ... http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1957217&Main=1956981

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »
I don't think Rusty owns the clothing line, but don't know for sure.  I recall reading awhile back that an Aus company owns the clothing line. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
I don't think Rusty owns the clothing line, but don't know for sure.  I recall reading awhile back that an Aus company owns the clothing line. 
It doesn't matter.  The ad taints anything associated with the Rusty name.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »
I think I'll call Barack Obama Monday:

http://rusty.com/us/blog/2011/01/05/obama-rides-rusty/

The awful thing is that this ad shows up at the same time as the Arizona shooting.  People are not going to have much tolerance for anyone who incites hatred, especially a company doing it to sell boardshorts.  I don't think anyone is going to see Barack Obama on another Rusty board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal