Author Topic: New Cabrinha Mantis V3 and Vision  (Read 4348 times)

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
New Cabrinha Mantis V3 and Vision
« on: February 18, 2023, 09:36:28 AM »
Anyone used either of the new Cabrinha Wings? I have had V1 and V2 Mantis Wings and really like them. I think mainly I use them as they were one of the first to offer hard handles and I have stuck with them ever since. It's a wing (V2) that is super easy, really well behaved, great in surf and has a decent low end. Only negative is I'm fairly short and find occasionally I catch the wingtip on the 5m when pumping. Wondered if it's worth the upgrade to V3 or Vision?. No chance of demo for me.. A few people made a negative comment on a video about the lack of Z in the strut design??.

There is a Mantis Apex which is silly money as are a few competitors wings. I'm not spending that money on hand wings, I'd rather spend it on foils.

Any thoughts?
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: New Cabrinha Mantis V3 and Vision
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »
I tried the 7m Vision today. Light, well balanced. Draft felt stable. I’d rate it better than the CWC so far.

The Cabrinha crew here in Florida, are riding the Vision, not the Manta. I’d say go Vision at this point.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:14:09 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 01:21:48 AM »
I haven,t seen the Vision IRL but ride a 4+5m Mantis V3. Before I had the V2 in 4+5+6m without windows.

The V3 feels a bit more compact and slightly softer/more damped, I guess this is because of the windows. I,m 188cm tall and have no problems with wingtip catching so far, but was quite rare with the V2 5m as well (more often with the 6).

Upwind seems to be slightly better but for most of all I,m very much in love with how it surfs  and the handles.
Last week it was 2C here with water of 5C and even with a full hooded suit and 6mm boots your hands become so cold you need gloves.
With the V2 I had a lot of armpump when wearing gloves, with the new handles I can wing 2h straight without a problem.

Mantis vs Vision.
I love to ride waves so personally I,m not a big fan of wings with more pronounced dehidral as they seem to flag less stable as the flatter profiles wings. But I can imagine that when you are a lot shorter or ride bigger wings it is a necessity.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 01:40:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Still undecided..

On another note, Cabrinha were great in sorting out a warranty claim on a wing. Really Freindly support and good Comms as I had to deal with them direct and not through the retailer. The shipping took a while but that was logistics and not their fault. Fair play Cabrinha!!!
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 09:36:51 PM »
I haven,t seen the Vision IRL but ride a 4+5m Mantis V3. Before I had the V2 in 4+5+6m without windows.

The V3 feels a bit more compact and slightly softer/more damped, I guess this is because of the windows. I,m 188cm tall and have no problems with wingtip catching so far, but was quite rare with the V2 5m as well (more often with the 6).

Upwind seems to be slightly better but for most of all I,m very much in love with how it surfs  and the handles.
Last week it was 2C here with water of 5C and even with a full hooded suit and 6mm boots your hands become so cold you need gloves.
With the V2 I had a lot of armpump when wearing gloves, with the new handles I can wing 2h straight without a problem.

Mantis vs Vision.
I love to ride waves so personally I,m not a big fan of wings with more pronounced dehidral as they seem to flag less stable as the flatter profiles wings. But I can imagine that when you are a lot shorter or ride bigger wings it is a necessity.

Thanks for your review of the Mantis V3. I like what you mention about the better handles and the better upwind. I have Mantis V2 (with windows 4m, 5m) and Mantis V1 (3.1 and 6,2m). I found handles on Mantis V2 already softer covering and better than V1.... but think the solid handles on V3 will be better than the fabric covered hard handles (on V1 and V2). Appreciate your comments about flatness versus more dihedral for drifiting the wing for surf (and thus preference for Mantis over Vision). Thanks. 
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 08:30:06 PM »
Dupe
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:33:02 PM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 08:32:20 PM »
I thought dihedral was more stable. Flat would flip more. I think even the marketing says this. Anyone? It's all confusing. lol

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 07:20:06 AM »
Dihedral is self-correcting, when one wing drops it gets more lift so it raises. Self-correcting is not equivalent to stable--unless there's a lot of weight on the wing to dampen out the feedback loop it's pretty much the opposite.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal