Author Topic: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!  (Read 40329 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!
« on: July 31, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »
Yes! I made a version of Daves’s Barricuda.  Been making boards since I was 13 years old ( so damn heavy, I could not carry it till I was 15 years old) and am not ready to stop now.  The “Nikola Tesla”’of foil board design has truly out done himself.  This is self evident in the following  fact alone.  A lot of people are copying his genius . 
For a specific reason, I decided to make mine a tad wider( 8’ x 20” x 6”, - 114L) I weigh 165 lbs.  Not only will it help to stabilize me on downwinders, I figured it might also help to stabilize me during the often turbulent entry onto standing river waves.  This wave has eluded my every attempt at gaining any significant foil time. Typically , it would become a very short, out of control bumpy ride caused by the many boils emanating off the ledgy bottom.  Unable to cross the even more turbulent eddy line guarded by walls of kelp, my only access was by rope, a sometimes lethal addition to any moving water.

Until now!
5-10 minutes consecutive minutes of foiling bliss!
The Barricuda board design is possibly the best suited answer to my years long dilemma. 
Here’s why-
1) obviously, it’s faster under paddle power. Fast enough to catch this wave as I  descend from upstream, moving backwards at about 6-8 mph. 
2) the increased  length  adds to increased  stability for a board only 20” wide.
3) the increased length of the nose has more inertia to mitigate the often powerful upward lift created by the boils.
4) the lightweight nose allows for quick maneuverability needed to stay high in the power zone.

Began on the Axis SP 860 which is a great size when the wave is medium to large.
Still trying to dial in my foil selection for use when wave is small and slow.
Any recommendations!

One more thing! Flatwater pop-ups have become commonplace and a great form of downwinder training. ( Axis PNG 1150, 460 tail, 75 cm mast)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 03:54:52 PM by SUPeter »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 03:35:57 PM »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »
Talk about making the most of your local conditions! That's great! The beauty of foiling is the potential it unlocks. I contacted my local shaper about whether he had drawn any Barracuda style boards and he replied with a pic of the blank being CNC'd that day!

I'm interested in one to start doing deflated downwinders with a paddle. I have good potential downwind opportunities but the logistics suck, so being able to wing upwind and then come back home with the added security of a paddle is the aim, especially as I would have to cross a busy shipping lane.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 06:26:11 PM »
I made a super-short blade out of half of a cracked KeNalu Molokai blade that I can slip into my fake boom for a usable paddle. I use one of the boom's reversed velcro straps to hold the blade in place. Works great, I've paddled my foil board about a mile with it when my wing popped. The blade is attached at the nose of the board with velcro and a bungee strap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 01:40:13 AM »
That's a great idea. I could see a convertible boom/paddle being a useful tool in future with a compatible wing. My next wings have solid handles so not such an elegant solution there. I had considered that hand paddles would also be a light weight back up plan. The objective is 1) learn how to flat water paddle up and 2) to do the downwind with the wing packed on my back so the wing gets me to the start and paddle would the primary downwind weapon which has the added benefit of being a plan B if the wind dies.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 07:51:22 AM »
Another note,
After paddle this 8' x 20" DW board around in many different conditions such as wind blown swell, river current boils.  I'm convinced that the narrower the board, the more stable it becomes in choppy waters.  The mast and foil provide more stabilizing action when there is less lateral hull being lifted by oncoming waves.  People have often said narrow sea kayaks are more seaworthy than wide sea kayaks.  The wide kayaks  have a strong tendency to roll side to side with wave action from abeam.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 04:43:39 AM »
I sold my 7'6 x 31" JL Super Frank to a guy who bought it specifically for surfing the Blue Hill wave. I wonder if he was able to make it work. He said he had never surfed the ocean. All he did was SUP this wave.

Great video. That foil board shreds. Show some more if you can.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Slyde

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »
Peter, I'm very impressed with your build. Planning to build one myself. Would a wave piercing bow help the design, and are bevels really necessary on a board only 20 inches wide?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 01:39:49 PM »
Please post some images of your board.  Thanks!

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 05:02:50 PM »
Here's our version from down under , I'm just on 200lb plus haven't stood on a Sup for many years so I went 8-0 x 21 x 120 litres , teamed up with the Axis 1300 this thing is crazy stable. Managed to flat water pump it up in the first 10 mins so pretty impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpg7SMx5jfY
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 05:03:37 AM »
Here's our version from down under , I'm just on 200lb plus haven't stood on a Sup for many years so I went 8-0 x 21 x 120 litres , teamed up with the Axis 1300 this thing is crazy stable. Managed to flat water pump it up in the first 10 mins so pretty impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpg7SMx5jfY

Piros, this looks freaking amazing!  Such clean lines.  Offbeat question for you.  Could you / Can you swim it into downwind bumps?

PS:  75 Mast?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 05:09:46 AM by Admin »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »
Peter, I'm very impressed with your build. Planning to build one myself. Would a wave piercing bow help the design, and are bevels really necessary on a board only 20 inches wide?

The narrower hull created with bevels allows less surface area touching the water during touchdowns and lessens surface drag.  Very much an important part of overall design.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 08:25:05 AM »
Board pics, I hope?

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 08:28:17 AM »
I was never good at pics.,

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 10:38:40 AM »
Man, does that look nice!  Terrific build.  How much does it weigh?  I'd love to see the deck also.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:41:47 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal