Author Topic: Hankering back to my old Laird Pearson Arrow- what's the modern equivalent ?  (Read 9692 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well this is kind of a combo reply to two threads...this one here, and really the Sano is an unfoilable salad garden one.

So still getting tangled in the weeds at 4.9' high tide the last Friday, figured that if I wanted to stay in the water (with my sanity), a change was going to have to be made, and pulled the Laird/Pearson Arrow out of the rafters where she had waited patiently for 5 years, and threw her in the back of the van.

Yesterday was she made it out of the van when at the 3.5' high tide and watching the only two foilers out (amongst the 12 or so SUPers) spend 90% of their time stuck in the grass, it seemed pointless to even venture out "winged up"...even though the little 2-3' peelers looked like perfect foil waves.  :-\

Well let's just say that it's only sorta "like riding a bike". Without the big foil keel hanging under the board, the wobbles were sumpin' fierce, and just paddling out to the lineup, I must have looked like a baby giraffe trying to take its first steps as I tried to balance the board on the way out.

Once out, it was more like trying to turn a battleship than a surfboard to turn for the incoming wave, and once on the dang thing...what an eerie feeling it was having the entire length of my 5'1 foil board way out in front of me while trying to keep the nose from pearling, and to get the thing somewhat turned and headed down the line. 

It took a few waves to gain at least a little familiarity with her again, and she did treat me well enough that it was enjoyable enough all things considered...but man, I sure did feel like a kook out there for most of the session, and wow I'm sore. Didn't know that "sup muscles" were so different than "foil muscles". :o ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal