Author Topic: Strapless News  (Read 2741 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Strapless News
« on: October 16, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »
At the Foil Racing League contest this morning in Cocoa Beach, Austin Kalama and another youngster from Hawaii, smoked the SUP course. Both STRAPLESS. I asked Austin why strapless now. He said straps are less efficient. Being constrained by foot placement, really hurts efficiency. While moving his feet to suit, keeps him at peak efficiency all the time. He’s even doing prone strapless flips and tricks. The young kid never used his paddle once, except to catch the first wave. I heard he pumped for 18 straight minutes yesterday.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Strapless News
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
That makes total sense - straps are really not helpful for pumping.  And agreed that we want to be able to move our feet around a bit.  I usually scoot my back foot several inches foward for pumping versus surfing.  I don't find it helpful to move my front foot but that's just me.

The thing I like a front strap for is cranking into a wave on a sup.  Being able to pull up and push forward on the front strap makes a pretty big difference in catching waves early.  Its a nice side effect that it ensures my feet are in the right place every time.   

For a pumping race straps would just be added weight and of no use

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »
  Being able to pull up and push forward on the front strap makes a pretty big difference in catching waves early.

I do like the extra paddling stability of having my front foot in a strap.

On the latest podcast, they talk about teaching efficient pumping in a foiling clinic. They teach people to stop pulling up. It’s bad for HA foils. They said we should change our mindset to riding a board level and pushing down. Never ride level, and pull up, that slows you down.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
  Being able to pull up and push forward on the front strap makes a pretty big difference in catching waves early.

On the latest podcast, they talk about teaching efficient pumping in a foiling clinic. They teach people to stop pulling up. It’s bad for HA foils. They said we should change our mindset to riding a board level and pushing down. Never ride level, and pull up, that slows you down.

This might be just what i need to get some consistency on the prone pumpouts .
Is this the ProgProject Podcast?.The KD or the Pedigo interview?.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »

Agree with both. I use a front strap to help with balance when standing on a short/narrower board, but not at all for pumping.

As soon as you start pulling up, or trying to "ollie" up HA foils, more times than not your just going to stall them, and loose the pump.

LA wings we used to use you had to do more of an "ollie" since that have a much taller/narrower sine wave pattern than the shorter/longer wave of the HA wings.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 07:51:04 PM »
My new Flying Dutchman board is going to be strapless. No strap inserts at all. In the unlikely event I change my mind I'll use stickons, but I actually prefer strapless. I keep sticking straps back on because I think they'll help, and then taking them off when they don't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 07:59:48 AM »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 09:23:26 AM »
Here is the video of those two.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVIU4zgFNET/?utm_medium=copy_link

Yeah, but let's also not forget to mention that in 3rd place, and actually old enough to shave...was our very own SUZ representative "flkiter"!!  8) :D👏🏽👏🏽🏆

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal