Author Topic: Beginner Wing Foiling Gear for an old guy  (Read 7099 times)

Oldmansurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Wing Foiling Gear for an old guy
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 03:24:39 PM »
Ok- So I bought a used Naish Hover Board 125L- and the Naish 2450 Foil used.  Both seem like good choices- have uses both SUP foiling and winging,  but having a few issues.

The area where I am learning is a little shallower that I thought- I am catching my 75 mast on crab pot lines and the bottom at times. Wish I had a shorter mast option while learning before I hit the ocean.

Had a board leash snap today in 25-30 knot winds- was crazy windy for that area, and a longer leash replacement kept getting wrapped around the foil; and the stock Naish wing coiled wing leash is totally stretched out, and hard to "reel" in at times.

What are the best recommendations for a board leash and a wing leash?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »
When did 60 become old?

I prefer the reel leashes, I got mine from Blue Planet. Don't use their extension shock cord though unless you modify it. Unless they've changed it the ends are just ordinary nylon parachute-style cord dipped in some rubbery shit that prevents you from seeing that it's getting ready to come apart. I did a video on the thing and the way I attached it to my impact vest with an integrated waist belt.

I'm not sure how the reel will handle surf. In high wind the board pulls a short distance away from you, the reel has a soft retrieve so it doesn't come whipping back and it's long enough that the energy of a crash is all spent before the leash hits the end. The BLue Plant guys swear by them, and they're straight shooters who do this every day on Oahu. They do need to fix that crap extension cord though. I used my reel setup about every day this summer in Hood River. It performed magnificently.

https://youtu.be/WEI9H4ivZy4

For the wing leash I haven't found or made anything better than the leashes that come with F-One wings. Maybe you can buy them. I see people using thin coiled leashes all the time, that just flat-out sucks. Besides the constant tangles and the leash getting in your face, if a coiled leash breaks at the swivel on the wing it can easily take your eye out. Not because the coil is such a strong spring (it's not) but because the coil puts a twist into the urethane under tension that stores a lot of force and releases it quickly at an angle to the cord, so the leash can snap back along its length instead of collapsing axially. I know there are people that don't believe this--the reason their opinion isn't worth a popcorn fart is that they never tested it. If they had, they'd agree--end of story. In a test I did I buried a swivel in a piece of plywood.

the F-one leash is spectra line with shock cord inside. You could tow a truck with it, and it never snaps back--it collapses on itself like a straight urethane leash will. I test the shit out of stuff, I don't simply believe what anyone says, unless they have demonstrable expertise and are speaking about things within their area of expertise.

Do NOT attach your leash to the little leash attachment loop. Attach it to the front handle. When I've said this before people replied "kite manufacturers have been using that attachment for decades". Yes, they have, to attach the pump. That's all. Take a good hard look at that and see if it's something you should trust. If you rely on that, there is a good chance you'll rip it out of the leading edge. The good result of that is your wing blows away and maybe you get it back. The bad result is the bladder blows through the resulting tear and explodes, ripping the leading edge in half. Take your cherished wing to Airtime to repair it and they'll likely tell you it will cost you more to repair it than it's worth. Been there (for a slightly different reason but the same damage), done that, didn't want the T-shirt.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:34:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 05:57:54 AM »
The Ozone wing leash is a heavy duty version of the Fone with a swivel added. I like it better than the Fone because it doesn’t get all twisted up.

But, all leashes still suck. Better get used to it. haha.

Oldmansurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »
Thanks to PonoBill and Dwight for the advice- leashes on order!  Now need some wind again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal