Author Topic: Carbon paddle repairs?  (Read 4529 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Carbon paddle repairs?
« on: July 25, 2021, 09:49:31 PM »
I dniged my paddle today somehow. took a small chip off the edge. What materials work on these repairs?

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carbon paddle repairs?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »
no one?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
Hey TL, for cosmetic chips epoxy resin might be all you need.  Anything bigger, add a little chopped-up fiberglass or micro balloons.  Of course if it is structural you will need epoxy and carbon fiber cloth (or plain fiberglass cloth) depending on the extent of damage and original construction schedule. 

Share a picture of the damage and the comments will come out of the woodwork for sure.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
Pictures

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »
what do you mean by small?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 08:24:07 PM »
my bad; never got a chance to phot as i needed it fast!
Just superglued it for now

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:58:35 AM »
Paddle blades are made in molds with a foam inner section and carbon face and back. The edge generally has a fairly wide margin before you get to foam, and the foam is generally closed call anyway. A small ding won't permit moisture to enter. You can ignore it, fill it with a drop of epoxy and then sand the drop flush, or sand the edge to remove really small dings.

Larger damage can be repaired with carbon fiber, but it's not a job for a beginner in composite work unless you're really brave and careful at the same time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 08:39:17 PM »
Paddle blades are made in molds with a foam inner section and carbon face and back. The edge generally has a fairly wide margin before you get to foam, and the foam is generally closed call anyway. A small ding won't permit moisture to enter. You can ignore it, fill it with a drop of epoxy and then sand the drop flush, or sand the edge to remove really small dings.

Larger damage can be repaired with carbon fiber, but it's not a job for a beginner in composite work unless you're really brave and careful at the same time.

Pono,

On the topic of broken paddles, do you know where to source paddle shafts? I pulled a highly intelligent move and drove over my carbon elite quickblade. Awesome.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 11:05:32 AM »
Quickblade shafts vary greatly in taper and as far as I know, they don't sell replacements since the shaft is intended to be permanently glued in place. You could possibly buy a shaft from Ke Nalu and do some fiddling to make it work, the website is still up, but I haven't been in touch with Lane for a long time and I don't know if they are filling orders.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal