Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74898 times)

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2022, 12:01:22 PM »
VB: I have been impressed too by how the wing handles gusts....I've pushed the top end a little, particularly with 6m on days where light wind became medium, and some pleasant surprises about upper end.  With my ozone 6m, if above 20kt, I worried about it dislocating my shoulder (which is both a compliment and complaint....grunty wing!).  With the OR 6m, I can still hold it down into lower 20s. 

And now, allow me a moment of nerding out, here's a little tribute video I put together of our local crew having some fun with the aluula's in some varied conditions.  :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzeAZK6tWs

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
I may only want carbon on the rear handle. Anyone want to go halvasies when they finally hit the market?

Any more intel on the carbon handles?  Anyone seen them in the wild?  I heard April, but that was a while ago and its been crickets since then...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2022, 04:33:12 PM »
I may only want carbon on the rear handle. Anyone want to go halvasies when they finally hit the market?

Any more intel on the carbon handles?  Anyone seen them in the wild?  I heard April, but that was a while ago and its been crickets since then...

Last I heard, the carbon boom will make it to market before the handles.
June was mentioned as a probable...
in progress...

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2022, 07:56:31 AM »
Maybe old news, but I just noticed a lot more info on the handles and boom are on the OR website.

https://oceanrodeo.com/products/glide-a-series?variant=41989100699802

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2022, 10:08:24 AM »
The carbon handle sure looks like a CAD rendering + photoshop.  How would that shape even be manufactured in carbon?  I'm calling BS on that one until I see a real photo.

The boom looks great and obviously actually exists, even if just in prototype form.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2022, 01:02:50 PM »
Like that bit from Seinfeld, "oh they are real. And they are spectacular". I lucked into trying an early proto. In general I am happy with the soft handles, not really all that interested in a boom or mini-boom ... but had a bit of a "holy moly" moment with the carbon handles. Such a positive connection, easy to move the wing to where it needs to be and hold it there, subtle shifts of power, transfers from hand to hand or holding with one hand ... kinda wow, way beyond my expectations.

Here's additional info I was sent:
Compression molded carbon.
Weight 111 grams
Super light, grippy, strong.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2022, 02:18:49 PM »
This was released today showing a long boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4_86npwubs

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2022, 10:47:51 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to try the boom and the handles when they were in development. My experience was that they both were a significant upgrade. The handles unlocked the bottom end of the wings. While the Glides don't have the same power per size as compared to the Duotone Units-try comparing the actual sizes Overtop of one another. The Duotone wings are nearly a meter larger per size aka 5m glide vs 5m unit-unit is more like a 5.75m.
This is not insignificant. Duotone did that with the Neos as well. Apparently it's the software they use, with a number of confounding factors that are another whole sidebar.
So with that said, Glides have a much better high end. The units, while feeling very nice and easy to use, get overpowered quickly. When you are overpowered they are like hanging onto a truck.
With these handles, I know exactly what wing I'd pick-Allula glide for the win. That said, if you can't land an  Allula Glide, then Duotobe Unit for the win. Both are exceptional products

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2022, 04:38:46 AM »
We we laid OR’s and the new Unit’s on top of each other, they looked the same size. When we laid Ensis wings on top, Ensis was a lot bigger. Of course it’s all ball park kook guesses doing this.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2022, 02:57:05 PM »
We we laid OR’s and the new Unit’s on top of each other, they looked the same size. When we laid Ensis wings on top, Ensis was a lot bigger. Of course it’s all ball park kook guesses doing this.

Maybe they changed the measurements this year. When we compared  4m vs 4m the Duotone was definitely bigger.
Anyways, like I said, they are both really nice wings.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2022, 01:06:24 AM »
Mackite has a listing for a 2022 OR A Series.  It is more expensive, but the listing doesn't have much info (that isn't already presented in the 2021 listing).

Anyone got any info on this?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2022, 05:08:56 AM »

Maybe they changed the measurements this year. When we compared  4m vs 4m the Duotone was definitely bigger.

Older Duotones had massive dihedral. OR has very little dihedral. It’s possible projected areas are the same and deflated on the beach they would look different. We laid inflated wings on top of each other.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2022, 04:09:02 PM »

Older Duotones had massive dihedral. OR has very little dihedral. It’s possible projected areas are the same and deflated on the beach they would look different. We laid inflated wings on top of each other.

Bigger.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2022, 05:28:04 PM »
take 2

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2022, 05:24:26 AM »
The angle shown indicates same size. Leading edge of one is forward of the other.

Like I said, we’re all kooks trying to do this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal