Author Topic: NL Wingtips  (Read 4146 times)

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
NL Wingtips
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
I haven't had a chance to see one in person up close yet, but can one of you guys that owns one tell me if the NL wingtips are double (foil shape on both sides) or single foiled (flat on one side)?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: NL Wingtips
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:22:14 PM »
single foiled flat.on one side...the outside or underside of the tips is flat and the ...inside or topside is foiled ....

but its such a small area that is foiled on the topside...ive broken mostnof my tips off or at least nearly off and cracked or shredded them on the rocks and reef and fixednthem with JBweld...ive found that the foil doesn't make that much difference...just havimg the angles tips and cutout DOES matter though...

on my NL220 my friend...LAFC! ;D...smashed the tip off on the rocks at malibu...he fixes it but it eventually broken off again...it tried it without the tip but it wouldnt work right...i could really feel the difference and it wanted to yaw and turn toward the no tip side ...like the good side was very lifty and the no tip side was dragging...so i reinforced the outside with a pieceo of aluminum from home depot and JB welded.it back on...solid now...but i know idid not get the foil correct...it flies great again...no.problems...cant even tell the difference...yay!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 08:22:59 PM »
ill post pics...just dont show alex...he might have a COW!
..haha

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:19:50 PM »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:12 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CG05EE2DdKO/?igshid=x5kbcupasfi9

I feel that’s applicable after hearing how you fix things. 😀

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
Fascinating stuff.

I remember hearing or seeing people try attaching wake board fins on various parts of the wing.

Has anyone tried putting wing tips like the NL on their high aspect wing?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Clamsmasha did a weird thing to  GL series over here. I think he ended up putting it back to normal. Probox bonzer runners glued onto a chopped 210.

https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/refuckulation-thread.221065/page-4#post-3146818

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »
Fascinating stuff.

I remember hearing or seeing people try attaching wake board fins on various parts of the wing.

I think Alex Auguera has. You can see them on his GL in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BWBE9pFrc

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 03:07:17 PM »
I have been threatening to cut the tips off an NL and try it back to back with and without.  I'm betting that there will be very little difference.  But I guess I'm not betting that much money on it since I'm not willing to buy another wing just to try that.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
Fascinating stuff.

Nope, just bought wings that worked right outta the box first time out w/o f'n with 'em, and sold all of my GF stuff. ;) :P ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

NJkiter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 06:39:13 PM »
I just got an NL foil and I like wingtips!
In the past, I have breached wing tips on the gl series and come off foil. It would change my style to a more conservative foiler to avoid a wingtip breach. Now, with the NLs, I’m Much more aggressive in turns with no consequences. Now I try things I wouldn’t normally do (with sup, kiting & winging). The confidence of not having to worry about it makes for a next level experience. Thanks to Alex at Go Foil for continuing to be innovative.
Me:5’11” (170cm) 160lbs (73kg) Age:61
Wings: Duotone Echo 4m,5m,6m
SUP Foil Board: Blue Planet 6’6” 117 liters
Quatro Drifter 5’4” 90 liter wing board
Foils: Go Foil Kia, Iwa, M200,
GL100,140,210 & NL190
Paddle:Wener Rip Stick

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 08:24:16 PM »
Rock reef points are hard on wings!

Did you guys wonder where he got the name Steamroller?

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
Fascinating stuff.

I think Alex Auguera has. You can see them on his GL in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BWBE9pFrc

those are called fences, theyre there to minimize spanwise flow. its a budget fix for a wing that hasnt been designed prtoperly in the first place. a bit like the russians putting them on their mig wings when trying to break the sound barrier.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
Container - I have a new theory related to spanwise flow and wingtips.

I think the sweep of the leading edge promotes span-wise flow from root to tip.  I believe that there is a strong correlation between wings that have high spanwise flow and the ability to breach a tip without stalling the whole wing.  The wing "aerates" but then the spanwise flow replaces the water and restores lift.

I think the NL is designed the way it is to get the leading edge sweep for tip breach performance.  The winglets could be helping the wing stay efficient in spite of this spanwise flow.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Jondrums you could be on to something there, in my experience from putting tell tales on foils, when you do a sharp turn (while towing, so as sharp a turn as physically possible as you can lean against the low line) the flow on the inboard tip bends in to nearly 90° i.e. it is almost 100% spanwise flow towards the centre of the wing, while the tip on the outside of the turn sees around 45° but flowing towards tje tip. Of course this will be entirely foil dependant but i would say it would be roughly similar on all foils. The wings may change but the water certainly does not. There is an easy way to see whats going on down there- chuck some tell tales on and send it past a gopro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal