Author Topic: Wing foil sessions - beginner  (Read 50900 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Wing foil sessions - beginner
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:54:25 PM »
First day out on wing ding today. Light wind, maybe 8 mph I’d guess? (I have no real sense yet but going on weather report.) Probably too much swell (and shore break) but new stuff, you know. First thing to note is that I surfed before and then the wind came up and instead of heading home, I went down the road and got in again. This is what I wanted when I got into foiling.

Anyway, my 6’6” x 28” foil SUP turns out to be a great wing board to learn on. Got advice to skip the plain SUP and it was right on. Got out and without any wind experience figured out the “move the wing to point the board” thing. (Thank you Zone and YouTube) after 10 min on my knees I was over it. (And creaky in the knees and ankles) so I figured it was time to fall. I saw a video recently where a guy actually started with his front foot flat and back knee down and that seemed like the best for me. It was. I popped the wing up, then without waiting popped the back leg up and was standing (and surprised.) I cruised for a couple hundred yards then luffed the wing and sat down. Not enough wind to get on foil but I got to get the feel and even see how a wing pump can keep you from falling, basic stuff like that. Ok, now, toe side. Turns out that’s easy... if you just sit on the board haha. I could do it kneeling but really couldn’t stand 8n the conditions. Maybe next time.

I ended up doing maybe a quarter mile walk of shame but I was surprised at how long I managed to hold out as long as I did. I joked with the lifeguards on the way back, they’d been watching me and talking on the radios about me as I drifted past 3 of them lol. I told them about winging and thanked them for not calling the boat on me. I explained that if the see a new guy not to panic, we just blow into shore and walk back.

Anyway, I call it a win and I actually liked it. I totally get why all you guys like it. I think it’s going to be a fun addition to the kit. Now, expect a thread on taking care of these things. So weird and messy coming back to a beach and packing up, wtf? Hahaha. 

Now to get COVID under control so we can shuttle again. Maybe these new 15 min tests will be an answer? “Dude, hit the local Walgreens and I’ll pick you up.” I’m already planning routes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:56:03 PM by surfcowboy »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing foil sessions - beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »
Going upwind is MUCH easier than going downwind. You don't really need a shuttle. I do five-mile upwind/downwinders a couple of times a week, no sweat.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:32:33 PM »
I just gotta get this thing on foil then. I have to say, it’s at least fun while you are learning. SUP surfing and foil surfing were pretty frustrating. Maybe it’s the novelty of this but even sucking at it is fun.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 04:23:14 AM »
Maybe it’s the novelty of this but even sucking at it is fun.

Hah!  No, man, the whole thing is silly kid fun.  There is always something new to suck at.  It sounds like you did fantastic.  Getting off your knees, making runs, trying to stay upwind and without wind experience.  That is a lot.  Stoked that you are started!

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 07:29:21 AM »
Sounds like a great first session.  You will get this quickly.  Met someone yesterday who is learning with no wind or water board sports experience who is starting to foil after a handful of sessions so you will have a much easier path.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »
Thx guys, yeah I didn’t plan on it but by the end I was itching to get on foil. Might take Hdips advice and hit long beach to get a smooth water day.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »
Good to hear Cowboy, every session there'll be a revelation ;D
You'll need significant wind though, in the beginning too much is better!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 02:07:14 PM »
Belmont Shores in Long Beach was fun. Wind was actually over 15mph, gusting  up to almost 20MPH, (thx to a kiteboard instructor who can estimate better than I.) So TallDude, there is some winging wind up here in LA County. (Also like 50 kiteboarders out and a TON of people taking lessons so kiting is still growing it seems.) I think there was one other winger, but we can launch anywhere so there's that.

It was choppy as all get out, as I said, I'm still not really "down" with the wind just yet. But I got up several times heelside. That's really easy now for me. Managed to get going toe side (harder) and then did the world's most hilarious gybe at less than a walking pace. Really, there's room for a hilarious YT channel of just wing kooks learning. It's got to look hilarious.

The chop really made it hard to pump as you need to time the pump and the chop and the wing pump and... it was all a bit much. But really, the walk of shame is the biggest incentive to get better and get on foil. Though I am working on something in the garage that I think will make some folks on here happy. More to come.

Hoping for some foil surfing this week though. Enough of that devil wind for now! haha. Back to the secret foil spot.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 01:31:56 AM »
Cowboy, what wing are you using and what is your foil setup?  What's your weight?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
Hey, yeah, my stats.

F-One Swing 5m, Self-shaped 6’4” x 28” board, Gong Surf XL (2200? I gotta look that up) I’m 63kg/138 lbs.

I suspect that BigMtn’s advice to put the foil all the way forward is the missing link here. I went to my balance point but had another inch. (Being careful.) Also, honestly, I really am not as clear as I should be about powering up so there’s some learning curve. And then the crazy chop where I’ve been learning is rough. I’ve got a spot I’ll be visiting soon that gets wind in the teens and is small enough to not get crazy chop on it. I suspect a week there will put me solidly on foil. (That and access to a boat to tow.) but I suspect the gear is right on, just need a better sailor.

Also, my wife and I laugh every time I use that term for some reason. I’m fully claiming “sailing” now or wing dinging. I refuse to let this become too cool or view it as anything more than pure fun.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 01:06:47 AM »
Cowboy, You have it made! 

That setup will foil you in very light wind.  Smooth wind and smooth water are your best buddies to get the feel for it.  15 mph will be awesome for you. 

Here are a couple of unrequested :) thoughts that may be helpful that I would want to know if I were starting without any windsport experience.

1. (and 2 and 3).  Pump that Swing to 10 PSI.  It will bulge between the seams.  Indulge the bulge.  This will make your wing pumping 100 times (fake news) more efficient with you doing nothing else differently.

4.  Don't pump the board at all yet when you are taking off.  In fact, focus on disrupting the board as little as possible.  Mistimed board pumps (and they all will be at first-too much other stuff to focus on) will stall your forward motion (which is all you will need to get foiling). 

5. Practice pumping the wing on land for a few minutes.  You initially want to to pull so that your pumps are directing the board mostly forward.  Flow over the foil is what is going to lift you.  Reach forward with both arms and slightly up, pull back and slightly down with both arms and give a little more kick inwards with your back arm at the end.  For us mid to light weight riders a few of those is all it takes.  You can ease the board up when it has speed with a little back foot pressure or you can do a little compress decompress. 

6.  Wait for a gust.  Don't beat yourself up pumping in a lull.  Your total pumping is going to take 2 or 3 seconds.  If it feels like your are pulling through the wind rather than getting purchase stop and wait for a better gust.

7. Turn the nose very slightly downwind.  You can use your ears to find the wind direction.  Turn your head into the wind and when you feel it equally on both ears you are looking directly upwind.  Your reach is 90 degrees from there.    A good angle to start at is 5 more degrees downwind.  Starting a little downwind will help you pick up speed and will help you from slamming into chop.  The chop can actually help you a little going slightly downwind.  Too far downwind and you won't be able to gain speed.

8.  There is going to be a fast stance position on your board.  The board will accelerate best on the surface when you are on it.  You want to position your foil so you can take off and ride right from that position without having to shuffle. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:11:53 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 11:32:06 PM »
Thank you. This is all good stuff for newbs.

That’s wild about the psi. I’ll try that. Being new to wind stuff this is the stuff I don’t know. Violating the warranty is always the first step to leveling up. ;)

Number 4 makes a ton of sense. I described my technique as a monkey f-ing a football recently. I’m pretty sure I am doing more harm than good.

I’m headed to a spot in San Diego in a week or two that should have smooth water with decent wind so a few days in a row will hopefully get me sorted. The wing pumping to move the foil forward is another thing I wouldn’t have guessed. I’ll update the thread and any other new guys post up here too. Trying to collect good starter info in these threads.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 12:15:07 AM »
Just do everything admin says... Buddy was pumping the board like crazy, and getting frustrated he couldn't get up on foil. I told him to stop pumping the board, only pump wing. Once you feel the board trying to come up, then you can do a couple pumps. He tried it, and immediately was able to get on foil. The extra few psi really help too!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 06:28:31 AM »
Violating the warranty is always the first step to leveling up. ;)

Hah!  I know.  It can be unnerving but I can guarantee that if you have a non-defective wing that 10 PSI will not harm it.  Chan and I have shared a Swing quiver for year.  Always at 10 or above.  Gorge, Mexico, Baja.  They stay inflated in the sun even on 100 degree days, no problems.  The only Swings I have heard of bursting were from a strut bulge issue at MFG suggested PSI's.  It sounds like they had a bad batch at some point.  Those should be warrantied regardless. 

You can always take off wing pumping alone, even on small foils and small boards.  Sometimes it helps.  Pumping well may get you flying faster in some situations but it can cripple you if it is incorrect.  Watching new riders here I see two very common issues that come from what I see as well intentioned but damaging advice.  1. Superfluous board stomping.  Less is more.  None is fine.  Getting airborn is not a freestyle move.  2. Heading too far downwind.  I see a lot of new riders who are pumping to start while heading almost straight downwind.  A little downwind (a few degrees) is all you are looking for. 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:30:57 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
Ok, this weekend I’ll be in San Diego (lookout Tom!) I’m going to hit Mission Bay for some smooth water and a spot with an easy walk back. But hopefully I’ll get on foil and can stay upwind. Once I have that I’ll be able to step off the boat onto my board so hopefully multiple sessions and time on water will get me dialed.

Wind clock question. I’ve been trying to stay at 9pm (goofy, going heelside.) when you guys say I should turn a few degrees downwind to get flying what are y’all meaning on the clock? I’d assume 8 but more?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal