Author Topic: Cheaper and more durable alternative to kenalu Mana paddle?  (Read 9835 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cheaper and more durable alternative to kenalu Mana paddle?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2020, 11:48:29 PM »
Thought maybe I was starting to lose my mind :o so did a quick google search and found this:
https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/downwind-turn/

To try and get back on topic a little, I have a Maliko and a small Konihi paddle.  Thought the Maliko was great until I got the Konihi 84 on Lane's recommendation.  The Konihi is smaller and doesn't seem quite as grabby but it's also narrower (which I like) and smoother to paddle.  I'm careless at times and it has a fairly big ding right on the edge of the blade.  Must have hit the mast but not sure how I did it.  So far, so good...haven't broken a blade or shaft yet but I do hear an occasional creak/crack sound when paddling hard.  Haven't yet figured out where it's coming from.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »
thanks for the thoughtful replies.  agreed we should feel free to discuss as deeply and theoretically as we wish and anyone who doesn't like it can ignore it :)  No offense taken nor intended.

I saw that link, thanks for that.  I think I mentioned the same in my last reply that in practice with a long slow turn in a low performance airplane, it just isn't really a factor.  But on a high performance (low drag) foil with a short turning radius, I can usually carry a lot of speed through the turn.  So, if I'm going into the wind, I don't have as much ground speed to carry through the turn and by the time I'm through the turn I'm going too slow.  When I'm up and going downwind I've got a lot of ground speed, and I can carry it through the turn - even while I lose some speed in the turn to drag, I come out of it still on foil with enough speed to keep going.  So its a very real thing for foiling, and in a plane with enough performance, it can be a real thing there too.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2020, 01:03:29 AM »
Cool, glad you’re okay with that and here’s to many more good discussions!  There’s a lot about the dynamics of foiling and surfing in general that I have a hard time understanding. I think it’s because there are just too many vectors involved. ;D

I am thinking I should try some prone foiling soon. Have a board but I dread the paddle...arms are NOT in condition! :o I’m hoping to learn something that may (or may not) transfer back to standup foiling. The prone guys make pumping look fairly easy. I totally realize I’m not that fit but maybe if I can learn the technique and actually see it work, it will be easier on my standup. Also not looking forward to dealing with the crowds!  It has been so bad lately.  I’m grateful that the beaches are open but, man, people need to get back to work and stay out of the water! ::)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Sorry if this a repeat post....

I was going to suggest the 27 North kevlar paddle as it came with a lifetime warranty but it looks like they may have gone out of business which is too bad.  My buddy got one.  He's a big strong guy and broke a few paddles in the past.  His 27 North kevlar has been great for him.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
thanks surfafrica, I like the idea of adding something other than carbon in the layup for more durability.  I was looking for a carbon innegra paddle head but didn't find one.

I will say that dockstart pumping practice with a little prone board has transformed my SUP foil surfing, specifically pumping.  Now that I'm back in the ocean, I've been kicking out of waves and pumping back to the next a few times a session when previously it was only when every possible variable was perfect.  Pumping is absolutely a learned thing that takes a lot of practice (and failure) to get good at.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
Another Patch on my Mana paddle.  Silver Aluminum 'Pono' tape.

I took a nasty wipeout and found a split in the paddle.  Better that than my body. 

I didn't want to mess with Epoxy so patched it up Pono style with Aluminum tape. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
I will say that dockstart pumping practice with a little prone board has transformed my SUP foil surfing, specifically pumping.  Now that I'm back in the ocean, I've been kicking out of waves and pumping back to the next a few times a session when previously it was only when every possible variable was perfect.  Pumping is absolutely a learned thing that takes a lot of practice (and failure) to get good at.

This is good to know.  Both discouraging and encouraging at the same time.  Much to learn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal