Author Topic: Step 2 Learning to use the wing. Failure!!!  (Read 6397 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Step 2 Learning to use the wing. Failure!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
I ordered some of these off Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UVXVZ0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

But since shipping to Hawaii takes forever, and my knees were already beat up, I used PonoBill's method and cut the sleeves off an old wetsuit top, cut the wrists off, and slid those over the knees. Worked just fine, just needed adjustments after falling.

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 11:50:08 PM »
My philosophy is a little different from some of these more experienced guys. When I say more experience, what I mean is the majority of these guys that get up within the first 10 times either had some foil experience, some kiteboarding experience, or some windsurfing experience. If you do not have foil, wind, or sailing experience, my recommendation is to do just like you were doing on a big 153L board, and get out in low wind and just sail that board around at low speed. You do not need 15+ knot winds unless You are trying to get up on foil. That just ends up being a lot to be thinking about at once . I literally went out half a dozen times in Sub 10kns and just focused on how to hold that wing, find out where my power was, and how to handle the wing, board, and 2 leash mess.  You will definitely lose ground and will have a tough time staying up wind unless you have a big center dagger board. Don’t stress about losing ground, focus on lufting the wing, getting power into your wing, and just being comfortable holding it while balancing on the board.  Then you add the foil and some power little by little. You WILL get frustrated, but with some wind time and perseverance you will get it.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 03:21:25 AM »
Surfwingsteve good advice. Learning is hard but not letting it frustrate me. I don't mind walking back upwind and seem to do better each time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »
You can learn to go upwind with the foil in place without getting up on the foil. If you intend to eventually foil I think that's the easiest way to learn. A big SUP with a centerboard will go upwind a little easier, but just a little and any time you spend on the board you're going to be using is time well spent.

Alan Cadiz is certainly the most experienced wingfoil teacher on the planet--he was teaching classes when the only wings available were Duotone prototypes that he got through his neighbor: Ken Winner. Dan Hall and I were among his first students. We were both foil surfing, but had no wing gear and no prospect of getting wings soon. Alan starts people off on a monster windsurfer with a daggerboard, and as soon as the student can go upwind with that, moves them to a foilboard with the foil in place but with no intention of getting up on the foil. Getting your sea legs on a board that moves very differently from a SUP and learning to sail it upwind are critical skills you need to progress.

Alan also has a super-short mast for getting people used to the foil without having them get up too high and be uncontrolled. Overfoiling with a 40CM mast isn't a crash--you just settle back into the water. Axis makes a 45CM mast for that very purpose.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:01:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Step 2 Learning to use the wing. Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 12:38:07 PM »
Pono I'm going to keep using the foil board with out trying to get on foil to learn. I like that it is helping get the balance of the board figured out. After DW's advice to actually power the wing it was getting easier to go up wind but seemed on the tack back to shore the wind let up causing me to lose my ground. I think with more wind I will have an easier time and progress faster then light wind.

I think the next step when I can stay up wind is to work on standing up. Like water starting a windsurf board, I hope to stand then jump down and try again going the other way. Doing this multiple times till I have it down then time to try and foil!!!

Now just need wind before my season starts and I have to work 6 days a week.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 06:33:42 AM »
To keep close to the wind when not on foil you can gently pump the wing (slowly pull the wing towards you and then let it out in a circular motion).  This will keep you moving in light wind and help get you home or at least a lot closer.

One issue with this sport are the videos on Youtube (yes, they are very helpful for learning) but the ones showing guys doing amazing things on small boards are misleading.  Most of these guys are; young; athletic, sponsored, wing in great conditions all year, and spend a massive amount of time honing their skills. 

If you think you can just grab a wing and hop on a 30 litre board and go you're probably in for a shock and a great deal of humiliation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCq0rP8bagM
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:38:47 AM by deja vu »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal