Author Topic: Inflatable foil boards..  (Read 12426 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Inflatable foil boards..
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 05:56:20 AM »
Our new Swedish friend -who seems unfazed by coldwater- ping'd me this morning...

"I Was using a 5`8 rocket air yesterday and it was fine to pump it. :)"

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 02:55:30 AM »
Hi Wet,

Check out this vid of the Rocket Air.  Man, do I love drone video!  These are very tempting for travel.  I wonder about a concept where the stance and foil mount area could be rigid material and the rest inflatable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YksD7rcovio
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:06:59 AM by Admin »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 06:14:01 AM »
He is clearly not in distress...   F-One seems a great choice in the category. It is a strong brand. They are priced well. I'd probably buy one if they had footstrap provisions ...and in another color other than Robbie Yellow.

Jim

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 07:59:02 AM »
Admin, that’s a great idea. 3’ of platform would give you all you need.

Though I already think my travel rig will be a prone board. This would make SUP easy.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 04:12:45 AM »
Admin, that’s a great idea. 3’ of platform would give you all you need.

This hybrid inflatable concept could work in a number of configurations, none of which would be limited to Tuttle.  In fact, it could provide a much more reliable foil mounting platform than laminated rigid boards and would allow full fore/aft foil adjustability and would allow multiple footstrap positions in pre-threaded M6 inserts for those who choose straps.  Of those, I have a design in mind that will work really well.  Ultimate portability with very few performance compromises when surface bound and potentially numerous advantages over fully rigid boards when on the foil.  It could also be a modular system offering multiple size/volume options per single rigid stance/foil/footstrap platform.  Due to its simplicity it could be inexpensive at top quality.  It could be an amazing way for new foilers to progress down through board sizes.  Experienced riders could have a quiver of board sizes in their Frunk with a single rigid platform or you could carry 3 or 4 board sizes with you on airlines in a normal, light check-on bag.  You could have your wing board, SUP board, surfboard, etc with you at all times with one foiling platform.  Show up and Blow up

The same design could be extended as a huge improvement to all inflatables for all watersports including the non-foiling flavors. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:38:40 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 03:32:55 PM »
Admin, the efoil guys are on it.

http://www.cabratec.com/

Dig that inflatable efoil.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 11:10:17 PM »

Dig that inflatable efoil.

Has anyone here tried one of these efoils? If so, what were your impressions?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 01:29:42 AM »

Holy crap!  I had pictured it with a narrower board slot but otherwise identical.  A mod on this design would be an outstanding travel option for Winging.  The deck plate could be be whatever size you wanted.  Thanks for the post!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:33:11 AM by Admin »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 06:54:07 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
Boss,  I've been sniffing around the 'inflatable' contractor scene...  This may be the source of the one Cowboy posted.

https://ucsports.en.alibaba.com/product/62017944029-808188002/Hot_Inflatable_Foi_Board_Hydrofoil_Surfboard_Inflatable_Paddle_hydrofoil_efoil_Boards_for_E_Foil_5ft_8ft.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.33511.13.5b7c52ebUHiAwO

Jim

You are right Jim.  There it is!  Check out this one from the same factory.  They aren't doing much in the styling department and it loos like they are focused on electric but that general concept could be used to make some really nice inflatables for winging. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:32 PM »
Admin, I had the same thought. Buy the inflatable part and make your own insert. It’d be pretty easy and if you did it right it could be super light. Some carbon tubing and a couple of sandwich deck plates and you’d have a serious travel rig. Imagine a large suitcase with your wing and sup foil rigs in it. 3 piece paddle and boom.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 03:22:52 AM »
I'll be stoked to see what you build!

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
There was a very impressive rider down in DR last month. He was kiting but - his board if we can call it that resembled one of them brown McDonald’s eat in trays which he bolted onto his foil. Dude ripped once get got it going 😉

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
My only worry is how the soft flexible inflatable affects the feel for the foil. Foiling is a finesse sport. You need delicate feel through your feet, for what the foil is doing to fly well. Sure a good foiler could deal with it long enough to make a YouTube promo video, but what about the kook trying to learn foiling. Does it add to the learning frustration

When a 20 psi board is fully inflated it's hard to tell that it's not a hard board.  They are not "soft" or especially flexible (cheapest ones at 15psi may be). 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal