Author Topic: SUP-surf foiling from flat water kite/wing foiling background?  (Read 2212 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
SUP-surf foiling from flat water kite/wing foiling background?
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:58:23 AM »
So I have a couple of seasons of flat water kite foiling, and I’m making some decent progress wing foiling this fall but still very much a newbie. Really no surfing/SUP-surfing experience worth mentioning. Thinking of attempting some “tame” SUP surf foiling with the wing gear I have (Blue Planet Carver 5’8” [114 L], Gong XXL, XL, and pro XL wings). I’m 78 kg and live on the Outer Banks, NC. I’ve always considered our surf conditions really crappy compared to the west coast or Hawaii, but these surf foil videos are making me think twice.

Board too small to learn on? (I’m guessing winging is way different from paddling) Can I just prone paddle out with a paddle to start with? Hoping to just start with glassy knee high mush on the sand bars at low tide with the XXL, or farther out with non breaking swell? Maybe get wake time behind my boat just to get used to not holding onto a kite or wing, or gain some competency down winding with a luffing wing. I’m pretty much a wimp in the ocean with anything waist high or bigger.....Any advice appreciated.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: SUP-surf foiling from flat water kite/wing foiling background?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 02:46:45 AM »
Of all the wind powered sports, winging will prepare you best for surf foiling using just paddle power.

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with the foiling part.

Where you’ll struggle, if not born into surfing, is picking the right wave.

Paddling out with a foil under your board, is actually easier than paddling without a foil. The foil makes getting over whitewater easier, whether standing, or on your knees. You won’t need to paddle prone.

You will need to master pumping the board while paddling to make it easier to catch waves.

You do not need a bigger board.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 03:27:35 AM »

Where you’ll struggle, if not born into surfing, is picking the right wave.

Definitely agreed on that. On the OBX we don’t much have of an underwater self for waves to slowly develop. High tide is always dominated by shore break unless conditions are big, in which case I’m not venturing out. At low tide we might get these small rollers that eventually crest or break on underwater sand bars say 50 yards from shore, then reform coming into shore. Everything seems pretty short period compared other locations. No idea where to start, and how small things can/should be for learning?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 04:57:20 AM »
No idea where to start, and how small things can/should be for learning?

Ideal is waist high, wave only breaking in the upper half. Soft wave, but still breaking some. Breaking top to bottom is bad.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 04:11:53 AM »

Ideal is waist high, wave only breaking in the upper half. Soft wave, but still breaking some. Breaking top to bottom is bad.
Thanks Dwight. Time to go flail.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal