Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203356 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2022, 02:58:11 PM »
Our friend who commutes in his Tesla had to replace his battery at 150K miles. It cost him $14K installed. Most of the manufacturers give you a 100K or 4 years warranty on the batteries for the P -hybrids and regular hybrids.

Tesla model S and X warranty 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period. I don't quite understand why your friend needed to pay for a new battery. Diane's original Model S is now owned by a friend and he's approaching 200K miles and still has 86% capacity. YMMV.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2022, 09:20:55 PM »
It's my wife's friends husband. He has a long commute every day. Maybe the charging cycles reduced the life? I read that Tesla batteries "should get" 300K to 500K miles. I don't think so... Another co-worker of my wife said he already replaced his Tesla battery. I don't know the mileage? I'll have her ask what the actual mileage was when these were replaced. My friend has a Jetta Hybid. It has two batteries. His batteries quit holding a charge (too low to work) at 55K. His warranty was to 50K. I just cost his $11K to replace both batteries??? I'm not so ready to jump on board just yet.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2022, 10:10:25 AM »
Probably. The longest life is charging from 20% to 80%, charging to 100% decreases life a little. Elon says it's no big deal to charge to 100% except that regen braking won't work until the charge drops substantially--like back below 90%--and regen braking adds substantially to how far you can go on a charge. Tesla warrants batteries to have more than 70% capacity after 8 years or 150K miles, but a person doing long commutes would find that limiting. If you have a 300-mile range 70 percent is 210. I've read that people doing long drives frequently generally pay to replace their battery at 80 to 85 percent. If you do the math, gasoline to do 100K miles at 20 mpg and $5 per gallon is about $25K, for 150K it's $37,500. Depending on your cost for electricity replacing a battery for $14K is still economically reasonable though people never look at TCO when they're forking out that kind of money.

Plug-in hybrids have relatively small batteries and tend to get charged to a higher percentage of maximum (higher cell voltage) so they don't last.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2022, 02:53:41 PM »
My wife text her friend who's husband has the Tesla. She confirmed the battery was done at 150K and it was actually $17K all said and done P&L for the new battery installed. He does commute around a 100 miles 5 days a week from South Orange County to LA. He loves the car and it's still going strong. The car has been a commuter from day one.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 10, 2022, 08:08:24 AM »
Just keep in mind that when you consider total cost, currently there is no "road tax" on electric vehicles, but it's anyone's guess as to when that will change. ( I would guess between 5-10 years away but what do I know...)
In any event, "Currently, the federal tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon. The average state gas tax is 31 cents; it ranges from 8 cents per gallon in Alaska to 51.1 cents per gallon in California." CR

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 25, 2022, 12:28:00 AM »
I never saw myself lusting after a Kia or a Hyundai, but I'll tell you, the Ioniq 5 and EV 6 are amazing looking vehicles.  Anyone have any time in one?

Been away from this site for awhile and wandered over tonight to take a look. So that's why I'm a bit late responding to your post Admin. But yes, we test drove the Ioniq 5 a few weeks ago and loved it. It is my one and only time in an electric vehicle, but both my wife and I were very impressed. So much so that we put a deposit down. I have been looking for a while as my Mazda 5 is reaching the end of its' life cycle and had been interested in the Ioniq 5. Finally found a place that actually had one we could test drive. Only problem now is that we are told it will be minimum two years wait. Also have to say what I'm reading here about the cost of battery replacement is more than a little concerning. It is something I had been aware of, but some of the sources I found said the cost of replacement was coming down (sorry, can't remember where I read that). I also asked the Hyundai sales guy and he quoted me a price of something like $4,800 Canadian to replace the battery on the Ioniq 5, although I didn't get clarification on which battery he was referring to, as they do offer two different batteries depending on the car you are getting.

Anyway, looks like I may need to do some digging into the actual cost of battery replacement and find out if Hyundai was telling the truth.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 25, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »
Diane just got a new Tesla Model Y here in Maui, and I took her hand-me-down Chevy Volt. I sold my van to Stephen Ross--a fellow wingfoiler and all-around good guy though he speaks Canadian. The van was in great shape (I know...amazing huh) and super for all the water stuff I do, but surprisingly, so is the Volt. Chevy doesn't make them anymore but it's a pretty capable plug-in hybrid. The likely resale value of the $39K (new) Volt is less than $10K since no one wants to be caught holding the bag when the battery breathes its last, and from what I've seen it's a lot less.   With all the driving I do on Maui the 19mpg (when I behave) van was costing me $200 a week for gas. So about $5K per year (we're here for six months if you're checking my math). The Volt doesn't get as many miles on the battery as it used to, but it's still about 36 miles and then it's a hybrid so it averages 150+ mpg including the battery travel. We have a substantial solar system in Maui (which paid for itself in 7 years, but that's another story), so that's real-world mileage. It costs about $40 to fill the 9-gallon tank, and I've filled it once since I took over. At my current run rate, it will cost me about $700 a year to run. Not all my decisions are based on cost, but it's a nice little car, it's easier for me to get boards on the roof, and I'm saving about $4K a year driving it. Win, win, win.

In Hood River I replaced my F350, which I really didn't need anymore, with a Tesla Model Y. Spectacular car, easier to get in and out of than even my truck. Stunningly quick, and makes the $4k I'm saving in Maui look dinky. F350's are not cheap to operate or maintain, and diesel is expensive these days. It will likely be the last 4-wheel vehicle I ever buy, and While the $75K purchase price was not cheap (I opted for about everything, including the $12K full self-driving option, long-range 4wd dual motor, and a tow hitch) the $40K I got for the truck took a lot of the sting out, and that's before tax incentives. Electricity in the Pacific Northwest is cheap, so if I do solar it will be just for the hell of it, but a full charge at a supercharger is $14 and a full tank of Diesel is $230. It's a big 44-gallon tank, but it generally lasts me less than a week. At $7K a year the $35K difference breaks even in five years, and it's a lot more pleasant to drive, park, load up, and I can get into it without a step stool.

YMMV, but these vehicles are getting downright practical.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »
I think the model Y is the fugliest car Tesla makes--it looks like someone grafted an old VW onto a model 3. But damn, what a great car. Amazingly comfortable, has great features, and carries enough stuff to please even me. And has a totally ridiculous level of performance, even in the long-range version.

At the other end of the spectrum, the model X looks pretty spiffy, but if I was given one I'd sell it as fast as I could. A pathetic excuse for an SUV with an extreme emphasis on form over function.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »
48xxx on our 2019 Model 3 (glass roof gives me extra headroom!)

I've replaced tires 1x, added wiper fluid and added roof racks.

Cost per mile drive = $0.06

Cost per mile to drive our hybrid Rav4 = $.14

Cost per mile to drive our 03 Toyota Sequoia V8 = $.41
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:37:32 PM by sup_surf_giant »
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2022, 04:34:18 PM »

For someone who has been driving Toyota V8s of various sorts for decades (me), this is verging on persuasive.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2022, 04:40:28 PM »

For someone who has been driving Toyota V8s of various sorts for decades (me), this is verging on persuasive.

For context, our electricity costs are $.24 per kWh. Unleaded 87 has been around $5-$7 for the past year or so. California.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 29, 2022, 12:13:47 AM »
Giant--you should at least sit in a Model Y. I think it's made for big guys. I'm a shorty at only 6'2" but I have at least 6 inches of clearance with the seat in its highest position.

Electricity in Hood River is .09 per KWh residential, and .05 commercial/industrial. We sit between two of the largest hydro dams on the planet. charging my model Y from 20 percent to 90 percent is five bucks at home, and $2.80 at my shop. Or I could top off my F350 with diesel to cover the same 250 miles for about $135.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 12:35:46 AM by PonoBill »

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2022, 05:22:47 AM »
Giant--you should at least sit in a Model Y. I think it's made for big guys. I'm a shorty at only 6'2" but I have at least 6 inches of clearance with the seat in its highest position.

Electricity in Hood River is .09 per KWh residential, and .05 commercial/industrial. We sit between two of the largest hydro dams on the planet. charging my model Y from 20 percent to 90 percent is five bucks at home, and $2.80 at my shop. Or I could top off my F350 with diesel to cover the same 250 miles for about $135.

I’d love a Model Y!!! I’ve driven one. However, I’d need a new career and a new salary to get there. 😅

Had to fill up the Sequoia last night. Even at lower $4.99 per gallon prices, the pain was real.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2022, 12:36:25 PM »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 12, 2022, 12:08:06 PM »
Pono do you have any problems with your batteries if your car sits for 6mo without use?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal