Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452967 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »
Dang Admin, I feel sorry for ya having those conditions now but, also happy to hear that having the temps in most places have dropped letting Florida start to get more wind wings.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
I rode with the Swing harness line for the first time today. Wow, F-One nailed that design too. So light the wind blows it out of your way. No accidental hook-ins. Yet enough mass, that its easy to pump and swing it right into the hook like a good windsurf harness line. It’s so good, I see no issue with leaving one mounted to every wing I own.

I needed to give my tendons a rest. Tendonitis is creeping into my forearm despite my efforts to ride without bent elbows as much as possible.

What a joy to rocket upwind in the harness.

I was wave riding a place today, few people can ride. Our predominate winter wind direction too. Slightly side off. Too gusty for kiters to ride there. Frustrating to windsurf it. Epic for winging.

Wingers Win!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:55:03 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
Another awesome feature of the Swing harness line....you can change the length for Chan and Admin and myself and Jacky quickly. Home run!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2019, 03:52:02 PM »
Thought of another reason the harness line is good.

Anyone who learned to windsurf foil, without a harness (Robbie Naish style) then advanced to riding on foil in the harness, knows foiling gets way easier locked and loaded in the harness because it steadies the power delivery and that steadies the foil altitude and control.

So winging in the harness the first time, I immediately felt that increased steadiness.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
DW,  How’s the ‘involuntary dismount’ work out? I’m kinda hesitant to get tied up with the wing when I want to ditch it. I wouldn’t want to damaged the wing because of the harness getting stuck.

I will be trying nonetheless soon!

Side note: took the 5m and 2400 foil out for a lunch break mini DW session yesterday and the wind picked up to 25MPH. I was maxed out to say the least and it was a blast!  The end of the run had 2’ swell with refractions off break walls which made things extra spicy!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »
You’re never stuck in the harness. One wing pump, the rope falls out of the hook.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2019, 01:24:52 AM »
That sounds great Dwight.  I had a 44 degree session yesterday at Viento.  It was easterly (wind and current going in the same direction) and I wanted to make sure I had power.  I went with the 5 meter but it was 25ish and I was over.  Went in and switched for the 4.2 which was awesome for 45 minutes until it picked up again.  I stuck with that one and had a great session but with a maxed wing and the colder air/water I was gripping pretty hard by the end.  It was my hands that ended my session.  I am sure that with a harness and a relaxed grip  I would have made it another hour.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2019, 04:20:17 AM »
Admin, notice Alan’s water start method. He’s doing it like a kiter. If you fail with your current plan, the kiter way may be possible. Swipe to the 3rd image.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Vvt13nm_z/?igshid=1eoh05v4vayzu

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2019, 05:46:31 AM »
[quote author=Dwight (DW) link

“I needed to give my tendons a rest. Tendonitis is creeping into my forearm despite my efforts to ride without bent elbows as much as possible”

Hey Dwight did the tendinitis arise from using the wing or did you already have it?

I was battling elbow and tendinitis in my forearm for months...tried all types of exercises, used the rubber bar etc but it wouldn’t go away.  Finally at the suggestion of a friend I bought this great little TENS machine which has helped a lot. I highly recommend.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q32KX3J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:48:14 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2019, 06:07:46 AM »
Admin, notice Alan’s water start method. He’s doing it like a kiter. If you fail with your current plan, the kiter way may be possible. Swipe to the 3rd image.

That is cool.  That looks like a pretty big board for Alan but still small enough to avoid the issues of trying to do a more conventional waterstart on a larger SUP style board.  I was hoping that this would be possible on a lower volume board and this confirms that it is.  I am going to learn both.  I think the Windsurfing/Kitesurfing one that Alan is using will save a step when it is windy and the straddle/crouch/stand method that we are seeing will be nice when it is lighter.  It has been too cold to mess with this the last couple days but I am going to get started today if it is warmer and the wind stays good. 

I was talking with Tony Logosz at the beach the other day about waterstarts.  He started working on them with a wing a few weeks ago on a Dwarfcraft 3'6.  He said that his first session was very tiring with a bunch of failed attempts but he got a couple off by the end.  He was using the straddle method.  His biggest challenge was that he was using a big foil and it wanted to float up on him before he was positioned.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:34:06 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2019, 06:53:37 AM »

Hey Dwight did the tendinitis arise from using the wing or did you already have it?

It’s from Winging. I’ve been through this before, almost 20 years ago kiting. Steroid shots cured it each time for a few months. It finally went away for life (until now) when kites were redesigned with chicken loops. This changed everyone’s riding arm position from bent elbows to straighter arms with lighter pressures on the arms.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
Just a heads up / PSA in case you missed it on Insta, there are recommendations floating around to move the leash connection from the leash attachment point to the leading edge handle on the Swing.  The leash point stitching has come undone in some cases, leading to repairs.  I was sent a photo of the issue pre-repaired if anyone is really interested, I can upload it.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
I thought the guy was being paranoid. Do you have a photo of an actual failure of a Swing?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
Ah, so it did fail and here is the hack repair job

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2019, 07:17:28 AM »
Just a heads up / PSA in case you missed it on Insta, there are recommendations floating around to move the leash connection from the leash attachment point to the leading edge handle on the Swing.  The leash point stitching has come undone in some cases, leading to repairs.  I was sent a photo of the issue pre-repaired if anyone is really interested, I can upload it.

Do we know under what circumstances it failed?
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal