Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402998 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2020, 07:03:04 PM »
I switched my 101 to the short fuse with the 440 tail. Cowabunga. Pumps way better, picked up another increment of speed, and gets up quicker and easier. I don't see any downside. I put my 1020 on the standard fuse and 500 tail, and it seems very happy with that combo. Not much change. Now I have a light wind and strong wind combo I can stick on the mast with minimal fiddling--two screws and done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2020, 04:40:25 AM »
I switched my 101 to the short fuse with the 440 tail. Cowabunga. Pumps way better, picked up another increment of speed, and gets up quicker and easier. I don't see any downside. I put my 1020 on the standard fuse and 500 tail, and it seems very happy with that combo. Not much change. Now I have a light wind and strong wind combo I can stick on the mast with minimal fiddling--two screws and done.

Buy another short fuse and use it with the 102 and 500. It just makes pumping easier without any downside at your skill level. I just did the same for myself. I was being cheap in not buying another short fuse for that combo. I finally coughed up the cash.  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
Yeah, I've been fooling myself. the standard fuse pumps like it's in mashed potatoes with the 500 tail. I'll have to fork over some bucks I guess. When I get back to Hood River I'll convert that standard fuse to ultra short. Whack out a chunk and TIG weld it back together. I've only got a MIG here in Maui or I'd be out in the garage with a hacksaw instead of typing this.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2020, 07:19:29 AM »
10.5 lbs for 102 with short fuse, 500 rear and 75cm mast.

Thanks for weighing it. I'm surprised the Axis setup isn't significantly lighter than the Gong. I'm not sure that this would be worth the upgrade for me changing over to the Axis foil setup. Has anyone had a Gong foil and switched to Axis? Or ridden both?

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »
10.5 lbs for 102 with short fuse, 500 rear and 75cm mast.

Thanks for weighing it. I'm surprised the Axis setup isn't significantly lighter than the Gong. I'm not sure that this would be worth the upgrade for me changing over to the Axis foil setup. Has anyone had a Gong foil and switched to Axis? Or ridden both?
I wonder how much difference weight makes in the water. Its not really "swing weight" being in the center of lift area.  The XL pro is about 2.4 lbs lighter than your XXL standard smaller area but it's a option if lighter is important to you.  The Axis foil is just a better quality foil, stiffer mast, better connection points, lots of wing designs and options... 
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2020, 12:45:01 AM »
I have been itching to check out the new 1010 alongside the 1000 and the 1020 and yesterday was the perfect day.  Slow build light wind and really steady. 

The place we are staying has a big garage style cabana right on the sand so we can do super easy gear swaps and stay fully rigged.  Love that!  I just mounted a 75 mast and then swapped assembled fuselage, wing, tail assemblies onto it.  Such a nice way to go.  Always 2 screws away from ready.

First up I took a few runs on the 1020, 500, standard fuselage.  That is such a great kit.  Super stable, easygoing and cruisy.  I used the Swing 6.0 and then changed out for the 5.  The wind speed hadn't really changed, I just wanted to see the difference and they were both still inflated form the day before :).  I went back and forth between wings a few more times

Went back in and grabbed the 1010 with the 460 and a short fuselage.  This was my first outing with those wings and man, they blew my drawers off.  They are still off.  That is an outstanding combo.  How that wing generates that much lift with that reduced area, volume and thickness is a mystery to me.  I had read that it was close to the 920 in terms of lift but my first reaction is that it is pretty damn close to the 1020...and whoahoo, is that a fast combo.  I had to narrow my stance a little (that is still confusing me, maybe the quick change to the short fuselage?) but  other than that it  was pretty well adjustment free.  If I was amazed by how easily it gets up I was doubly amazed by how it slides through lulls.  It feels like there is no resistance to slow it down.  Maintenance pumping is super easy and relaxed.  This slippery, slidey setup is going to get a lot of use.

So, now I want to see what it feels like with a 440 tail.  I go in and make that change.  That setup wasn't for me. It worked, but it took away that unbridled loveliness of the 460.  A lot of the slippery feel vanished and it felt more boxed in and tight with noticeably more drag.  The wind had picked up a little but with the 440 it was slower to get up and took more effort.  That 460 is a tiny tail with almost no drag and it is magic with the 1010.

It was blowing 15ish now and I went in and swapped for the 1000, 440 on a short fuselage.  That is still a great setup but more on par with the 1010 and the 440.  It was a little off of the all out magic of the 1010 with the 460.  So, I went in and put the 460 on the 1000.  Holy shit!  Wanna set a firecracker off behind your horse?  Holy shit!  That is a super fun combo as well.  The 460 tail is so drag free.  Switching to it feels like you have lost a piece of weed that you didn't know you were dragging.  I am ordering a few more of those and some of the smallest tails as well (370, 340). 

I also want to try all of these with standard fuselages but that will have to wait for another day. 

So happy to be back at it!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:57:25 AM by Admin »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »
Hey Admin,
If you get a chance, try the ultra short with the 1010 and 460 and 370 rear. Those are my favorite set ups right now. I use that for wing, sup, and even prone. I didn't like the 1010 on the short fuselage as much, felt like the potential speed was being held back. That 460 rear really helps with the stability using the ultra short.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2020, 06:18:29 AM »
You Axis guys will like this.

Adrian Roper founder of AXIS Foils on the Progression Project. He discusses his history windsurfing, foils and technical chat.

Its interesting how balanced his perspective is with what he knows works and what people just seem to really like.  Things are still evolving.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-progression-project/e/67787091?autoplay=true

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2020, 07:22:31 AM »
That is really cool Beasho!  Adrian must have pointed out the variation in personal preference 100 times in that hour. 

flkiter, I am wondering if there are some elements of foiling that are sport specific to winging.  You said that you are liking the added speed of the ultra short,  Is that mostly due to the quick cadence of the pump or something else as well?  I was really interested in what Adrain was saying about the cadence of the pump that goes along with fuselage length and rear wing size.  I was thinking that it might be nice for winging to have a fuselage on the longer side with a very small rear wing.  I want to try that. 

I think the 460 is actually Axis' smallest area tail, probably lowest volume as well.  It is really tiny, wafer thin little thing despite the 460 length.  That thing is an eye opener. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:35:29 AM by Admin »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2020, 08:46:06 AM »
I use the 1010, ultra short fuselage and 460 or 370 rear for everything but, if I'm going to just be winging in waves doing DW runs between the waves and swell then I also like the 1000 on a short fuselage and 370 rear. I find the longer fuselage lets me glide more. The wing is giving me the speed when I want it so I'm not worried about going too slow and stalling the foil. I haven't tried the 460 flat wing with the 1000 yet so maybe today or this weekend I'll get on it. Been loving the 1010 so much, forgot all about trying that 460 with the 1000.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »
I'm going to have to get a 460 to try. I've got a 340 that I haven't used yet--Mark was out of 370s.

I do love the 1010 once I'm up. It has plenty of lift even for a moose like me, but I have to get it going extremely fast to get up. Once I'm up the speed differential to the 1020 means there is almost too much lift. We fat guys all get save by lift being a function of the SQUARE of speed.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
The less drag the 1010 has behind it, the faster and better it performs. I felt like it had a governor on it with the longer fuselage and bigger rear wing. With the set up I do now, it can ride balls to the walls. You'll get quicker lift also. I found if there's 3 rolling swells that are less than a foot high, by the 3rd one I have enough speed to pop onto foil with the paddle. It's not for everyone but for my location it works really well.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2020, 12:45:23 AM »
The less drag the 1010 has behind it, the faster and better it performs. I felt like it had a governor on it with the longer fuselage and bigger rear wing. With the set up I do now, it can ride balls to the walls. You'll get quicker lift also. I found if there's 3 rolling swells that are less than a foot high, by the 3rd one I have enough speed to pop onto foil with the paddle. It's not for everyone but for my location it works really well.

The lack of drag, even with the short fuselage is amazing and a little shocking.  To me it feels like less drag than even the 900 with the 440 but the 1010 has that effortless lift.  I rode this setup for an hour yesterday in increasing 5 meter wind and it is blowing my mind up.

The 460 tail is so narrow that the trailing edge is a full inch inside the end of the fuselage.  It's leading edge is so straight in comparison to all the other tails that a lot more of the leading edge is forward as well.  Same is true of the 1010 front wing so together a lot of leading edge and a lot of area is getting shifted forward in relation to the mast (when comparing to the 1000/440).  Once I saw that I moved my mast back and voila, my stance issue from the previous day corrected.  It was a full inch which I thought was pretty significant.  This really surprised me.  I had imagined if anything that I would be moving my stance back or the mast forward to adjust for lower lift from the wings.  In actuality I had to move my weight forward (which wasn't great) or the mast back (which ended up being awesome).  Now I just need to learn to keep up with this thing and to try breathing every once in a while :).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:37:59 AM by Admin »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2020, 12:48:20 AM »
Are any of you already using the carbon mast?

Any new insights on stiffness, less drag than the alu mast?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2020, 02:57:18 AM »
Are any of you already using the carbon mast?

Any new insights on stiffness, less drag than the alu mast?

We only have the one so far so we left it home for this trip.  The other one is stuck in Caronavirus limbo.  I will check it out first thing when I get back though.  Water is almost 43 degrees at home now :).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal