Author Topic: Wake foiling helps  (Read 1789 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wake foiling helps
« on: July 13, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
Just wanted to share my experience for those still trying to dial in their foils. I did a few days behind a boat using a small kite foil board and the 5' JP prone board with the Neil Pryde medium and large wings, also with the Axis 102 wing and worked on my pumping and riding the wake to really get the feel for the wings and what limits they have. Went out today on some one foot mush and my pumping skill went way through the roof. I highly recommend getting behind a boat with a small board and short rope.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wake foiling helps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
How hard is it to start and get up on your feet on a JP 5'0 behind a boat?
Esp for a 63 yo supper who never proned in his life?

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:35:16 AM »
Getting up behind a boat on a small board is just like getting up on a wake board.  Someone who can run the boat good makes it easier too.  If you are doing it with out foot straps, the boat driver just needs to pay a little more attention to the person in the water.  The person in the water can get the rope set, hold  the board up with one hand while placing their feet on the board. This is where the driver has to pay a little more attention.  When the rider says ok, the boat driver puts it in gear to give a resistance for the rider to plant their feet and grab the handle with both hands.  From there, just take off like a wake board start. 

Now the difference in riding a foil vs a wakeboard is going to be your weight distribution.  When riding a wake board, you are having a lot of your weight on your back foot.  On the foil, you want to focus on getting your weight to your front foot right away.   Weight on the the back foot will send the foil to the sky. And quick.  Once you have your weight on your front foot, now just adjust (for lack of a better term) theamount of force on that front foot to bring the foil up and flying.   Blueplanet has a video or 2 describing and showing all of this.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:12:16 AM »
Hey soepkip,
It's harder with the prone board, I would recommend a board with little volume. Even a wake skate with holes drilled for the foil to mount will work. Use the short rope and you'll pop up easily also. I found longer the rope, the harder it was. I wouldn't recommend straps at first. I got my buddy up after a few tries and he has a prosthetic front leg so anyone with two legs, it'll be easy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal