Author Topic: Wingfoiling - Is that hard?  (Read 22828 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wingfoiling - Is that hard?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »
I was referring to sup surf foiling and with the wing combined it will even harder.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
I was referring to sup surf foiling and with the wing combined it will even harder.

The wing is way easier than paddling in any conditions as long as there is enough “wind beneath your wing” :)
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 01:46:31 AM »
An interesting vid showing some first impressions on getting started.  This time from riders with significant prior foiling experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZ6f8YFZ8k

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
yup, the wing thing takes time like hydro foiling and trying to learn both takes even longer time and effort.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »
Lots of moving parts. I think the wing by itself is easy to master, the wing plus foil, even though I do a lot of surf foiling, is challenging. But that's what I like about it. I've been sorely tempted to toss windsurfing gear into my truck so I can windfoil on those lighter days when I don't have enough wing. But from my experience in learning to surf foil I realize that adding another element, even one that I already know how to do, will confuse the learning process and make everything more difficult. I had to quit SUP surfing to make progress in surf foiling.

The biggest challenge I'm having right now is what to do once I'm up on a foil. A wing that was generating barely enough power to get me off the water is suddenly much more power than I need, and prone to pushing me to the edge of control. I think I need to relax and get comfortable with the speed, but that's a lot easier to say than to do.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »
Bill:
EMBRACE the speed and keep the front foot pressure pressing down on the nose, if it gets scary get really close to the water so you don't breach. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »
Good news Bill, you are mastering it!  It makes sense you have more skills now, and need a smaller hydrofoil..  I started on a 2000 and ride a 1500 now.  On windier days I can ride a smaller 1250, on light days I like the 2000.  Board size is a factor too.

You can control your speed by bearing downwind to reduce speed, and upwind for more speed.  As you get better using a smaller hand wing will still get you flying with the right size hydrofoil in the conditions.

I told Ken I need the 5ft 60L board and 1250 front wing for the Maliko runs with gusts to 40.  I use the 3m then, because I go downwind but would need the 2m if I wasn’t. 

On days like 15mph and a 5m wing,  I need a 5ft 100L Board with a 2000 front wing, because I need the extra flotation when I come off the foil and won’t wobble as much.  Since I have less wind power I need a bigger hydrofoil front wing.

Moral of story, it’s another gear intensive sport for optimizing performance fun.

Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »
This video of Sky makes it look so fun, I’m going to bet I prefer this over kite foiling and windsurf foiling.

https://youtu.be/veBHAljZAM0

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
that looks like fun and it's gonna be hard to choose between paddle or wing it dw foil. I guess if you have a bad shoulder then wing it otherwise paddle if you want.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 02:37:35 AM »
Very cool to watch people getting started.  This guy is doing really well for an early session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdU84r93Y1I

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 04:13:10 AM »
Fascinating.....

I can see why straps would help a beginner place feet in the right spot. That guy is going nowhere like that.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 04:28:52 AM »
Hi Dwight,

I think that every windsurfer is going to have this transition.  I remember as a kid that first feeling of leaning back in the harness, pushing the back foot out on the fin and feeling all that wind force translate into board speed.  So satisfying.  Problem is it doesn't work at all for this.  It is a real fight to justify that reality.  Committing to a body position that is almost the opposite is very challenging but it is really cool to feel as it starts to come together.  Rather than lessons I think that windsurfers may start going to unlearning therapy sessions.  Maybe hypnosis.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
It's odd, I found my balance relatively soon in Foilsurfing, though soon is a relative term. And changing wings between M200, Iwa, and even M280 didn't take any learning to speak of. Probably would if I were a bit better at this, I think sensitivity comes with expertise. I know that's true in car and motorcycle racing as well as surfing. For the longest time I felt no difference from fin to fin. Then suddenly I had fins I hated and fins I loved.

Presently I don't know where my feet should be from wing to wing. Yesterday I was overfoiling like mad on the 280 and could barely keep it in the water long enough to get control. I had some long runs across the river, but I had to slow a lot, and pay close attention to the foil to avoid constant overfoiling crashes. So I switched to my M200 and could barely get it out of the water. Obviously I needed to change my foot position, but I couldn't find one that was comfortable and worked.

For the amount of time I've spent on this I thought I'd be much further along. I'm still struggling, still not able to start off my knees on a starboard tack, still can't foil to starboard without automatically turning downwind and losing control. Still on the edge during a lot of port tacks. I'm waiting to get to the point of feeling calm on the foil like I feel at Ka'a, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I do think the stuff engrained in me from windsurfing for a zillion years is giving me fits, but if that's the case, why is switchfoot so hard? I never had to think about that for windsurfing--switchfoot is what you do. Jibing is first and foremost switching your feet. I don't even remember when I learned to do that it was so long ago.

Oh well, we'll get there. Persistence is my middle name. I actually don't have one, so the options are endless. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
Bill, it pisses me off too, that I foil like crap goofy foot, but windsurf fine goofy.  I think windsurfing, all we do is push like hell on the fin. Easy. But foiling, the rear foot is closer to the joy stick of an airplane. I have no coordination with my left foot. I’d be willing to bet I’d crash an airplane flying it with my left hand.

I’m spoiled kite foiling. I never have to ride goofy foot. I just ride toe side all day with no fatigue.

But at least I got my 5m Duotone today  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:11:09 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
Damn you. I checked in at Big Winds today, and the only 5M they got went to a guy in front of me on the list--in Dubai. Dubai!! WTF.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal