Author Topic: Wingsurf Foiling - How low a Windspeed is possible?  (Read 34424 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wingsurf Foiling - How low a Windspeed is possible?
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
Impressive! The new foils, wings and the guy in the video!

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2019, 06:59:58 AM »
This vid show the F-one Swing in action.  This may be the most reduced wing out there.  Very minimal and I imagine very light.  The F-one team is riding these with tiny boards and straps in higher wind, boosting big airs, and making it look great.  This shows a much lighter day and a full float board.  4.2 wing and an 1800 water wing.  Those seem like very smart sizes.  Something right between an M-200 and a Iwa sounds delightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw0Q6CcFHeU

That guy only has one arm, too.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »
Maybe I am wrong, but the F one wings seems to me to have the most beautiful profiles on the market.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »

In addition, I like to know with which smallest surface front wings  the most speed with the HandWings are feasible.

The smaller the hydrofoil wing, the higher top speed of course then it’s your skill to get it flying.  Ken Winner has  used 900sqcm and at his weight 190lbs that seemed too small.  He’s now riding a 1250 dutone spirit surf kite hydrofoil and loves it.  I at 125lbs still am not efficient to get flying, so I like a little bigger wing Fanatic 1500 aero surf for more lift, and I feel it’s as fast as I want to go :)  we both use long 80cm fuselage and 90cm Masts
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
Julie, thanks for the insider info. I think the new HA front foils will speedwise shake up the market in the future. As a beginner (160lbs), I bravely ordered the Axis 1000 with 1388 cm2,  just trust the Duotone propulsion.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2019, 04:22:04 AM »
This is just beautiful to watch.  This is a 6 Meter wing and I want one!

https://www.facebook.com/fonekites/videos/2320143114966539/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:29:59 AM by Admin »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
Me too admin. The 4.2 for my 215 lbs with the Maliko 200 is 20-25 mph. I definitely need a bigger wing for our conditions here.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2019, 02:44:33 AM »
This kid is making a good argument for ultra light wings.  He is on the foil here on a small wing when big kites are just slowly cruising.  That is a 4.2 and the wind is 8-12 MPH!  I originally didn't see much advantage.  That is likely due to the fact that we started in a super windy stretch.  :) Even in modest wind small weight differences don't seem to matter much.  But, when you are at the very low end of the range for a wing it seems like it can make a big difference. 

https://www.facebook.com/wingdotsurf/videos/2354190954903154/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:04:25 AM by Admin »

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2019, 05:09:11 AM »
don't be fooled - some of these kids have Helium bones.....we have a kid here who paddles out on his prone foil board with wing in tow, prones into a wave and then keeps on going by pumping with both wings - too little wind to get on foil.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »
....and superman knees, Peter.  Who needs a damn wing?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B09SIQaHHV_/

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2019, 03:57:13 AM »
don't be fooled - some of these kids have Helium bones.....we have a kid here who paddles out on his prone foil board with wing in tow, prones into a wave and then keeps on going by pumping with both wings - too little wind to get on foil.

We stopped by the Event site late afternoon yesterday to watch a group of Wing Surfers that went out in really light winds.  There were 7 or at people out all drifting around and occasionally trying to pump onto a foil.  It looked too light.  Then this kid, Titouan,  launches, pumps a few times, pops up on the foil and proceeds to carve 8's through the group.  It was incredibly impressive.  I am sure there will be some video soon as the beach was packed with event goers.  Eventually the wind notched up (still very light) and more people started to move.  He may actually have helium bones.  :)

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
I used to have helium bones when I rode Berky boards but at some point they filled in with lead.
Now I have to use bigger boards for windsurfing.
Lets hope after I learn to Wing Foil I can use a small board again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:36:42 AM by Keys Sup »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal