Author Topic: Can't hurt to ask.  (Read 6673 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Can't hurt to ask.
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:17:54 PM »
A buddy of mine learned how to fly and shoot video w/a really nice drone a coupla yrs ago. I helped him edit a coupla real estate videos he did for rental properties. So I asked if he'd shoot one day while I was out and he said sure. Next day he calls and tells me to bring a memory card w/me to the surf. And it was going off. One of the warmest days so far this winter. Nice light winds, pumping ground swell, and sunny skies.
Never edited drone footage before and this was an overdose of buttery footage. Took me a while. Amazing how personal the pov is.

btw- This jetty is now off limits to the public. ACOE has started a full renovate w/steel sheeting being driven deep into the ocean floor. Gonna miss the old girl we've called Wooden Jetty since it's inception. The new jetty is called "The Terminal Groin".

You can read about the new groin in a blog a long time local here writes.  He's really interesting and edits our local newspaper.

http://jaymanntoday.ning.com/profiles/blogs/saturday-january-26-2019-did-a-beach-hike-in-holgate-it-included-?fbclid=IwAR1w7ziHxO0PWZgfyHp7bhA4Dqv5G6yMWGjndEbM7DGGvdVnFteydwjlqYA

https://youtu.be/K5OuUFsl5D8

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:29:46 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Can't hurt to ask.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:06:02 AM »
WAW!!!! I have to say that's such an amazing film you've edited - I really appreciate the effort you put into your films and for sharing the stoke! The other surfers with you will be equally pleased when watching the video.

The drone flying and filming is very impressive and gives my favourite POV of surfing. It gives such a clear idea of the size and speed of the waves - I could really feel those heavy closeouts too!

Thanks for starting my day with such a cool film!

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:04:34 AM »
^^^What he said!

Great edit Marc... and those guys gave you a lot of class footage to edit. NICE!

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 03:12:58 AM »
Amazing... Very nice footage!!!
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:01:30 AM »
cookie!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:42:58 AM »
Right on! 

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 04:47:26 AM »
@ surfercook

I am a big fan of drone videos. This one is a very good one. Loved the long length time wise of the video too. The 360 views from high up overhead really gives this video some good looks of land and water.

Since I'm a detailed oriented person, drone videos give me lots of details to look at. I can see how sup surfers place their feet on their boards no matter how short or long their board is when sup surfing.

As for paddles blades, it lets me see just how deep (or not) some sup surfers put their paddle blades in the water when gaining speed to catch a wave coming from behind them towards the tail of the board depending on the size and speed of the wave.

Thanks for taking the time to make and edit this video. It was the "cat's meow" for me.  :)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 04:57:09 AM »
Spectacular footage Cookie!  I like the POV when the drone is in front (shoreside) and pulling in towards the beach.....very easy on the eyes and just a great angle IMHO.  2nd fav POV is when the drone is behind (offshore) and coming in/following you in towards the beach.

Nice nice nice!!!!!

8) 8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 06:06:53 AM »
Jealous. Like being Kai Lenny for the day! Waves and surfing look great. Keep em coming.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Great video man. It’s also great to see your form and end to end rides. Most folks don’t realize how hard that is until you get video of yourself and see how ugly some of our moves are lol. You look great from take off to kick out and you’ve really dialed staying in the pocket, which I’m sure is critical in those waves.

You’ve inspired me to take my buddy up on his offer to shoot us. I’ve been so lazy about it lol.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
My next door neighbor has a nice drone. I asked him if he'd video me surfing. He said, "you mean over the water?" It was his new baby and the thought of flying it over water made him uneasy. He's flown it over the freeway and a good 500' over our houses, but 50' over water freaks him out. He's had it for about two years now. I may be able to talk him into it now?

BTW, that was a perfect day for a drone. Great footage Cookie. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
Awesome video Mark! Although a little salt in the wound as I took a four day surf trip to southern California from the Jersey Shore and you had sun and solid surf and I had 4 days of solid rain, people in winter winter clothing  and dirty ocean water. Buddies were sending pictures of what I missed but your video is proof positive.

No worries, I can definitely live it through that drone video.

So-Cal was great despite the missed surf and I will definitely be back. Big shout out to TallDude and Maxsonic for the attempt at board hook-up.

What I enjoyed most about your video is how much I enjoy surfing the seasons and particularly winter surfing because "mama said there'd be days like this!!!"

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:03:15 AM by ospreysup »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »
I love this video!

My personal rankings of types of video (assuming it's a reasonably well done video)

Drone - 100% interesting, 60% helpful/educational (bear in mind I am a novice)

Hat cam - 90% interesting, 15% helpful/educational, but much higher if the audio is a spoken explanation or if the video is group downwinding with lots of shots of others in close proximity

Beach - 75% interesting, 10% helpful/educational

Paddle cam - 50% interesting, 10% helpful/educational

Camera on nose of board - 10% interesting (tubes, falls and near falls), 5% helpful/educational

These are personal preferences. I hope I don't offend anyone who loves their nose camera

Yours is one of the better drone videos I have seen.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:50:44 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
Great video.  Best one in a while.

I think that we get used to certain camera angles and then the newest angle is most impressive.

Drones take the cake for the moment.  Hard to find someone to film for you though.  Similar to getting someone to pull us around on a jetski for Foil training.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »
Wow...that was fun!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal