Author Topic: Concept Sunova: Big Boy Bombora  (Read 13853 times)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Concept Sunova: Big Boy Bombora
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »
If I ever order one at my 165 lbs., I'd cut a few inches off the width and keep everything else the same. Single fin is what you want on such a ridiculously long board IMO, it's not like you'll be turning it from anywhere except with your back foot over the fin.
I regularly surf a custom 16ft gun-like downwind board. A 2+1 setup is best. With long boards you need the extra control and drive the side fins give you.

Hmmm you think? It probably depends on the design of the board, too. I'm imagining pivoty turns from the tail since the board is so long, similar to how I turn my 9'6 single-fin log (prone) from the tail... but maybe it's not the right comparison. Better to have the finboxes even if I don't always use them though, I suppose.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

supthecreek

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »
I imagine that riding a 14'r is quite different from a 12'r... but I have never had a chance to surf a 12' Search.

The 14 is a very long nose to bring around, and I do have to be on the stomp pad to snap a turn.
I think on the 12'r I might be able to surf it a little closer to my 10'6 and 11' longboard SUPs.

I am going to ask for a 12'r at some point and I will ask for a 5 fin configuration, so I can experiment a bit more.
I can see the potential of a twinzer with a small trailer, to loosen it up a bit.
The tail is so narrow, I don't really see much down side in a small center, if I am running it as a twinzer+

I don't really think "drive" when surfing the 14'r.... it is more like a controlled glide, that is interrupted by lifting most of the rail out of the water to change direction. The sheer length of the board produces all the speed I need, by just pinting it in the right direction.

Area 10, if you have a video of the 16'r, it would be interesting to see.
I like to see vids of other folks surfing a 14'+ surf shape.... not many  of this size board out there.
(raceboards excluded, cuz they really are a different animal in the surf.)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 05:34:03 AM »
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:37:11 AM by rbgar »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
Here's our local surf God Skip Fry gliding and trimming on one of his boards, probably about 11 feet. Note how, on the second wave, he plants his feet and hardly moves them, his signature ride. He's probably 75+ in the video. I've borrowed a friends Fry and rode it as a standup. Hard to balance, but great riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpa0SjIc0Y

I would love a standup in a Fry template.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »
Only video I have of me surfing my 14. No turns....I had taken the pad off to do some repairs and then put on a temp one on (remember that ugly pink camo creek...:)) for the CCBC that was only in the standing area....forgot and stepped back a couple times anyway and almost killed myself...:). My Vec doesn't surf anywhere near as well as the Search. Search is lighter in the nose and more refined rails. Biggest problem I have surfing it is once a rail sets it's tough to not have it take over and keep going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnVPj2H6tXo
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »
These 'loooongboard' videos are such a great watch, especially your first one rbgar! I have enough trouble surfing facing forward so I can't imagine the skill involved with surfing 'backwards'!!! You guys that have contributed videos make it look effortless!

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
Skip Frye is the original glideman, he's been riding the big boards for decades.
Great to see him with style and grace at 75.... still agile with smooth walking skills!

Ryan Burch simple kills it, he rides that 14'r with classic 60's style with updated skills. Beautiful  :)

Stoney, nice vid buddy.. better without the camo  ;D
So much fun to ride these boards!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »
Here's our local surf God Skip Fry gliding and trimming on one of his boards, probably about 11 feet. Note how, on the second wave, he plants his feet and hardly moves them, his signature ride.

After watching the video, this is how I surf my 11'1" One World. I plant my left foot forward in the middle of my board and use the weight of my body to turn to the right or left to go in the direction I want to go. With my right foot backward, I use the foot on the left or right rails, in conjunction with shifting my body to make a sharp turn.

I like to call what I do, "the leisurely way to surf my sup".
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
Aloha NW,
Here's a slightly less leisurely way to surf the One World...switchfoot at a shark infested offshore reef...;-)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:39:24 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
riding Creek's 14 yesterday, now I'm stoked to get the 12ftr thing going, hopefully soon with a design update!

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »
I had a board custom shaped for offshore reefs.

Highly recommend custom shaped boards for this size.  Ask for EPS 2.0 lb foam and 6 + 6 Oz S glass top and bottom and a goretex screw vent.  This combination will give you good responsiveness and a bulletproof board that will last a very long time.

Mine is 12 x 34 x 5, full belly nose with a decent rocker going to performance concaves out the back.  I am still trying to figure out he best fin setup. 

The board is used exclusively for offshore reefs.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
I had a board custom shaped for offshore reefs.

Highly recommend custom shaped boards for this size.  Ask for EPS 2.0 lb foam and 6 + 6 Oz S glass top and bottom and a goretex screw vent.  This combination will give you good responsiveness and a bulletproof board that will last a very long time.

Mine is 12 x 34 x 5, full belly nose with a decent rocker going to performance concaves out the back.  I am still trying to figure out he best fin setup. 

The board is used exclusively for offshore reefs.

Pls post some pics and the valume, sounds great 👍

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2018, 02:30:24 AM »
Aloha NW,
Here's a slightly less leisurely way to surf the One World...switchfoot at a shark infested offshore reef...;-)

Gotta say, that top pic makes me hungry.  Beautiful wave!

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
ok here it starts rev1, changing the graphics to smaller logos on deck and bottom to show off the green resin tint job, look forward to Bert's recommendations with regards to shape & dim changes to suit! I also asked about any updated ideas on rails/rockers/bottom contours he recommends.

Christmas present to myself with a Spring delivery!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:17:20 AM by rbgar »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
Aloha NW,

Gotta say, that top pic makes me hungry.  Beautiful wave!

Aloha Randy,
Big kamikaze style points to wet the appetite...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal